Adrian Martinez Injury

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

Here's a huge concern about Martinez, though. Especially with Michigan's stout defense on deck.

I fail to understand how fatigue can be a factor after the summer of workouts we heard about.  And if it was heat-related, Troy seemed unaffected. And we have this fancy-schmancy food/hydration plan now, so the guys should be in even better shape (side note - the O Line LOOKS like they're in way better shape than previous years).

So, you have a valuable QB in Martinez and an O Line that looked leaky, especially late in the game, against what is supposed to be a worse defense. 

Do you really want to put Martinez back there under those circumstances?

I think this fatigue/lack of conditioning talk is not really the problem. The bigger culprits making the Troy defense look better were;

Lack of quality OL depth. Yes if you can’t rotate guys in that may exacerbate fatigue in 100 degree weather, making it appear they were better conditioned but really they were probably just more able to get more fresher bodies in there.

Not having Martinez or a more mobile QB also allowed Troy to exploit our limited playbook. When you can put more defenders in the correct positions and not have to worry about certain things offensively it can help a defense tremendously.

And a personal theory of mine is that mentally the OL, very early in the game if not before, was somewhat defeated by not having their starting QB in there. Instead of shouldering the burden of the one dimensional game plan I think they buckled a bit and saw kind of what we did, an offense that wasn’t going to be near as effective without 2AM.

So anyway I don’t think it was any sort of straight up conditioning deficiency but that may have manifest due to lack of depth, lack of options and maybe lack of desire.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

LJ might be the most overrated recruit we've had in a long time.

Maybe if you restrict it to just high school recruits. Otherwise, Tanner Lee wins that award without question.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Yup! LJ might be the most overrated recruit we've had in a long time. He has been terrible since day one and seems to have an "i dont give a rip" attitude. Haphazardly tackling, etc. I texted my buddy during the pick, thinking for sure it was going to be overturned. One of the more bizarre calls of the day.

He avoids contact and missed one of the easier tackles all day on the sidelines. Also got burnt across the middle for a big gain, and we all know he got beat on the INT, ball was under thrown due to QB being hit as he threw the ball. He doesn't have the quickness to be a good CB and lacks the physicality to make up for it. I know we are super thin at CB, but something has to give. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He avoids contact and missed one of the easier tackles all day on the sidelines. Also got burnt across the middle for a big gain, and we all know he got beat on the INT, ball was under thrown due to QB being hit as he threw the ball. He doesn't have the quickness to be a good CB and lacks the physicality to make up for it. I know we are super thin at CB, but something has to give. 

Would've been interested had Bookie come. Not to rehash things... but Bootle is playing pretty well and well...Bookie might've just taken Lamar's starting spot.

46 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

yet he continues to start..........sigh

• Plus1 2