HuskerNation1

Adrian Martinez Injury

15 hours ago, The Cornfather said:

I was thinking about this earlier like wouldn't it be better to hold AM out until he's 100% and maybe if it lingers enough he ends up getting a redshirt? Like that means this season is pretty much a wash but if it means getting another year out of him...? 

no, recruiting new/talented QB's in the future has got to be the goal.....play the best you have, every game, don't hold back.

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

What has become of Noah V's petition to be able to play this season?

Not happening. Right after Gebbia left, Vedral said there wasn't anything they could seek a waiver for.

I’m extremely frustrated by the way Coach Frost is handling this situation. I don’t know why but he is contradicting himself. He say AM looked great during warm ups and could of played and now he saying they are not sure they want to play him even thou he is 100%. This is the most frustrating QB situation I’ve ever seen.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I’m extremely frustrated by the way Coach Frost is handling this situation. I don’t know why but he is contradicting himself. He say AM looked great during warm ups and could of played and now he saying they are not sure they want to play him even thou he is 100%. This is the most frustrating QB situation I’ve ever seen.  

Frost never said he could have played - just that he looked good during warmups. And he said they'd make the best decision for both AM and the team with the long-term outlook in mind. Nothing contradicting or frustrating about what Frost is saying.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Really????

worst you’ve ever seen and it’s all Frost’s fault. 

Hmmmm.....

47 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

He say AM looked great during warm ups and could of played and now he saying they are not sure they want to play him even thou he is 100%.

When did anyone say AM was 100%? (Honest question, not snarky.)

1 hour ago, talaricohusker said:

Offhand, I can think of a couple QB situations that were significantly more frustrating. That’s just at Nebraska.

Maybe we shouldn’t have stepped back on Terry Wilson? Outside of that, I don’t know what anyone can really say Frost did wrong.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Frost never said he could have played - just that he looked good during warmups. And he said they'd make the best decision for both AM and the team with the long-term outlook in mind. Nothing contradicting or frustrating about what Frost is saying.

And why would anyone believe what Frost says about injuries and their impact on whether a player might play or not? I’ve gotten the impression that HCSF is going to be pretty secretive with any related public statements. If he says a player looked good in warmups or he’s probable or he’s improbable or whatever he says, I would not count on that being the case at all. He stated once early on that he wouldn’t be commenting on injuries during the season unless that player was out for the year. So, when he does comment, I assume it is either disinformation or the truth.....pretty useless info.

Do any of us really know how bad the knee is. No one has said exactly what is wrong with it. Sprain ?? what part is sprained ? Is there a "slight" tear ? 

If he is not 100% don't put him out there. This part of the team looked like one of the stronger positions, along with R/B. Now????

GBR!!!

I think he'd be willing to go 0-fer in the non-conference if he can win conference games.

14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really????

worst you’ve ever seen and it’s all Frost’s fault. 

Hmmmm.....

I never said it was all Frost fault I just said I don’t like what I’m seeing with how the QBs are being handled. And I’m not saying he a bad QB coach at all. It’s just I’ve never see it handled this way 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I never said it was all Frost fault I just said I don’t like what I’m seeing with how the QBs are being handled. And I’m not saying he a bad QB coach at all. It’s just I’ve never see it handled this way 

It seems like every week to week QB injury is handled this way by every school. 

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Frost was handed a really thin QB room and when Gebbia left it was even worse . Sometimes it is lazy to pick on the last staff but sometimes it is the truth. Riley did a really bad job recruiting QBs. It is really hard to question Frost at this point as it relates to the QBs. 

• Plus1 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

We are 2 games into his tenure, the starter got injured, the backup transfered, the 3rd string became backup and his transfer isn't eligible.

What exactly would you like him to do?  24/7 online stream of A Mart to ease your conscious?

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

We are 2 games into his tenure, the starter got injured, the backup transfered, the 3rd string became backup and his transfer isn't eligible.

What exactly would you like him to do?  24/7 online stream of A Mart to ease your conscious?

agree, much has happened with players and that is a huge part of the problem.

1 hour ago, jaws said:

Frost was handed a really thin QB room and when Gebbia left it was even worse . Sometimes it is lazy to pick on the last staff but sometimes it is the truth. Riley did a really bad job recruiting QBs. It is really hard to question Frost at this point as it relates to the QBs. 

I don't agree.  I think Riley improved QB recruiting.  He was just recruiting to a system that ended up really sucking so when a coaching change happened, those QBs looked elsewhere to play.  That caused our QB room to go from full to extremely thin.....especially with the injury to 2AM.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, huskered17 said:

Do any of us really know how bad the knee is. No one has said exactly what is wrong with it. Sprain ?? what part is sprained ? Is there a "slight" tear ? 

If he is not 100% don't put him out there. This part of the team looked like one of the stronger positions, along with R/B. Now????

GBR!!!

This

GBR!!!

I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

But, let's say it's a slight tear.  What is the harm in playing him?  One of two things is going to happen.  It's going to tear the rest of the way...or...he plays through it.

If it tears the rest of the way, he is out for the year and gets surgery now instead of after the season.  If it doesn't tear, he would probably have surgery after the season.

Neither case would affect him long term after recovery from surgery.

I'm failing to see the harm in playing him if this is the case.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, let's say it's a slight tear.  What is the harm in playing him?  One of two things is going to happen.  It's going to tear the rest of the way...or...he plays through it.

If it tears the rest of the way, he is out for the year and gets surgery now instead of after the season.  If it doesn't tear, he would probably have surgery after the season.

I mean ... Frost said specifically that he's not going to play him if there is a risk of further injury.  So I think he ruled out what you are saying.

It appears that they are going to keep him out until he heals enough to be cleared by the trainers.  To me, that says it's a short-term deal.  Obviously he is practicing this week so it would seem the current feeling is he is pretty close to being back.  Thus, I would expect him to play this weekend, barring a setback.

It's not a tear....its a sprain....they want to make sure he is 100% so he doesnt tear the damn thing. I told you folks 2 to 3 weeks this is week two so the earliest you see him back is this week. 

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

It's not a tear....its a sprain....they want to make sure he is 100% so he doesnt tear the damn thing. I told you folks 2 to 3 weeks this is week two so the earliest you see him back is this week. 

A sprain can include some tearing.  So it could be both.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just an observation but Martinez was suited up in full pads for the game last week.  Don't think that would be the case if they didn't think there was a chance he could play.  I'm no Dr. but to me that shows he was close and with another week to heal, I pretty much expect him to play this weekend.

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... Frost said specifically that he's not going to play him if there is a risk of further injury.  So I think he ruled out what you are saying.

It appears that they are going to keep him out until he heals enough to be cleared by the trainers.  To me, that says it's a short-term deal.  Obviously he is practicing this week so it would seem the current feeling is he is pretty close to being back.  Thus, I would expect him to play this weekend, barring a setback.

It very well could have been a judgement call in what is more important.  Nobody likes to say one win is more important than another.  But, the staff risked losing to Troy by holding him out, in an effort to give him a week to heal as much as possible before conference play.  Now that we are in conference play, it's possible they will view it differently.

I'm saying this with the full understanding that I'm speculating on one hell of a lot with no inside information to back it up.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't agree.  I think Riley improved QB recruiting.  He was just recruiting to a system that ended up really sucking so when a coaching change happened, those QBs looked elsewhere to play.  That caused our QB room to go from full to extremely thin.....especially with the injury to 2AM.

I see we have a different standard of QB recruiting.

• Haha 2

GBR!!!

It hasn't been disclosed exactly what the injury is but Frost did say there was no ligament damage so I believe we can rule out a 'slight tear' as that would be ligament damage. I guess you could consider a sprain a slight tear but I would speculate it likely a bone bruise and swelling - possibly meniscus injury which is cartridge. 

36 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The jig is up Adrian, I know it's you!

1 minute ago, jaws said:

I see we have a different standard of QB recruiting.

The QBs Riley recruited.

Lee -  I'll admit, he wasn't good.

POB - I believe he could be good with good coaching and a good system.

Gebbia - I think he would have been good with good coaching and a good system.

I have no reason to believe that either POB or Gebbia wouldn't thrive in a program like MSU that have used QBs for years that aren't runners but can manage the offense and distribute the ball.  That....and a coaching staff that has a friggen clue what they are doing.  I actually believe Gebbia would have been very good in our current system if he would have stuck around.

But, that's all water under the bridge and I'm not going to debate it any more.  I'm tired of looking at the past.

40 minutes ago, Mavric said:

A sprain can include some tearing.  So it could be both.

Didn't Frost pacifically say there was no ligament damage?

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The QBs Riley recruited.

Lee -  I'll admit, he wasn't good.

POB - I believe he could be good with good coaching and a good system.

Gebbia - I think he would have been good with good coaching and a good system.

I have no reason to believe that either POB or Gebbia wouldn't thrive in a program like MSU that have used QBs for years that aren't runners but can manage the offense and distribute the ball.  That....and a coaching staff that has a friggen clue what they are doing.  I actually believe Gebbia would have been very good in our current system if he would have stuck around.

But, that's all water under the bridge and I'm not going to debate it any more.  I'm tired of looking at the past.

Remember, I responded to someone talking about Frost's handling of the QBs. I get that you don't want to look at the past but the past is what is screwing over Frost right now. All three of the guys you listed, plus not recruiting a QB one year and the QBs in the 2014 class, didn't pan out at Nebraska. I have to believe that Frost would adapt his offense if one of them were here and thrown into the starting spot. He is too good of a coach to not adjust his system to his personnel. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jaws said:

If we were so depleted at QB then why didn't SF get several in the 2018 class?  Shouldn't it have been a top priority if so thin?  Wouldn't most QB prospects want to go to a program that's so thin on depth?

I find it very amusing you call Gebbia's leaving a major blow to the program yet at same time say MR did terrible job in getting Gebbia to come to N.  Well done.

• Plus1 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

If we were so depleted at QB then why didn't SF get several in the 2018 class?  Shouldn't it have been a top priority if so thin?  Wouldn't most QB prospects want to go to a program that's so thin on depth?

I find it very amusing you call Gebbia's leaving a major blow to the program yet at same time say MR did terrible job in getting Gebbia to come to N.  Well done.

He got Adrian and brought Verdal with him in hopes he would be eligible, I would say that's assessing the situation and addressing it.  Gebbia and POB had yet to leave.

And no, QB prospects want to go where they can start, not be part of a depth chart.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Not sure if I’ve ever seen someone put so many words into someone else’s mouth. Unless I missed it, he didn’t say anything close to what you’re claiming. 

• Plus1 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Can you tell me which finger you think I am holding up right now?  

:)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I get what you are saying but it is really hard to snag to really good QB's in the same class...Frost COULD have snagged AM and then sort of a "athlete" type guy but with Gebbia leaving when he did it still made it really hard to get another QB ready if that potential QB had not been practicing the QB spot because he was a WR/DB or something.

58 minutes ago, jaws said:

Remember, I responded to someone talking about Frost's handling of the QBs. I get that you don't want to look at the past but the past is what is screwing over Frost right now. All three of the guys you listed, plus not recruiting a QB one year and the QBs in the 2014 class, didn't pan out at Nebraska. I have to believe that Frost would adapt his offense if one of them were here and thrown into the starting spot. He is too good of a coach to not adjust his system to his personnel. 

But who plans for 3 QBs leaving your team? Frost surely would have made do with his best weapon had any of those 3 stayed and Martinez been injured. Riley did have the QB cupboard stocked. It was just a different style of QB than what Frost needs. We pretty much knew Lee would leave, not a big loss really, and we recruited for that. Gebbia leaving really hurt though. Mostly because it was late in the preseason, but in part because I think everyone believe he would see meaningful playing time this year as well.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure if I’ve ever seen someone put so many words into someone else’s mouth. Unless I missed it, he didn’t say anything close to what you’re claiming. 

You missed it then, scroll up.

• Plus1 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get what you are saying but it is really hard to snag to really good QB's in the same class...Frost COULD have snagged AM and then sort of a "athlete" type guy but with Gebbia leaving when he did it still made it really hard to get another QB ready if that potential QB had not been practicing the QB spot because he was a WR/DB or something.

My apology, I was responding to the "claim" the QB position was razor thin when SF took over.  I don't agree with that claim and was trying to point out to the person who made that claim, SF must not have believed it was that dire thin either, or else he would have gone out and signed a couple more. 

• Plus1 2

This is insane.  There are posters that want AM to play on a bad knee?  Do you know what players do when they have a bum wheel?  They overcompensate to the good side.  This often leads to injury to the healthy leg.  Not to mention the pain from aggravating the original injury after playing a full game.  Come on people.  Surgery isn't guaranteed to make the leg stronger.  Didn't we just have a player retire this offseason due to repeated injury issues?  But by all means let's jeopardize the kid's future health so we can beat Michigan. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, irafreak said:

This is insane.  There are posters that want AM to play on a bad knee?  Do you know what players do when they have a bum wheel?  They overcompensate to the good side.  This often leads to injury to the healthy leg.  Not to mention the pain from aggravating the original injury after playing a full game.  Come on people.  Surgery isn't guaranteed to make the leg stronger.  Didn't we just have a player retire this offseason due to repeated injury issues?  But by all means let's jeopardize the kid's future health so we can beat Michigan. 

I'm guessing this is partly aimed at me.

And...to this, I say "no".  I don't want him playing on a "bad knee".  From my experience from watching one hell of a lot of sports and having kids in sports, there is an extremely wide range of knee injuries.  

If there is inflammation, pain, swelling...etc.....no, I don't want him playing.

However, I've seen players play with slight tears in a tendon after inflation and swelling has gone down.

And, I trust the staff and trainers to make the judgement call on this.

4 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

My apology, I was responding to the "claim" the QB position was razor thin when SF took over.  I don't agree with that claim and was trying to point out to the person who made that claim, SF must not have believed it was that dire thin either, or else he would have gone out and signed a couple more. 

He

Did

Recruit

Another

One....

In fact, he won the job then got injured.  Then his backup immediately transferred.  That guys backup transfered well before that.  The old starter entered the draft.  Damn Frost should have seen it unfolding like that, what a hack

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I mean, its only a 19 year old and his health and future.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

He

Did

Recruit

Another

One....

In fact, he won the job then got injured.  Then his backup immediately transferred.  That guys backup transfered well before that.  The old starter entered the draft.  Damn Frost should have seen it unfolding like that, what a hack

He is far from a hack, but he should have protected his backup situation far better than he did

• Plus1 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, MountainMan said:

I mean, its only a 19 year old and his health and future.

Dude.....you're over reacting to my statement.  Read my last post.

1 minute ago, MountainMan said:

He is far from a hack, but he should have protected his backup situation far better than he did

Probably why he brought Verdal with him...

• Plus1 1

Nobody's asking the real question here. Why can't we have nice things named Martinez? Everytime we have one somebody else has to go and ruin it for us! 

• Plus1 2

I AM does have to miss another couple games, I would think SF would start considering saving him for the last 3 games and using his red shirt.  I hope that isn't the case but I do believe Bunch will improve significantly if given more playing time.  The kid has talent so all wouldn't be lost imo.    

• Plus1 1