HuskerNation1

Adrian Martinez Injury

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The play-calling is questionable. We are barely involving the TEs, our run game seems uninspired, and we are not seeing WRs in space like I expected. In fact, we often see groups of receivers in the same area, which cannot be by design.

By this you mean the play-calling was questionable against Troy, right?

I mean, our stats against Colorado were good enough to have a Top 5 rushing offense in the country and a Top 5 Total Offense in the country.  There doesn't seem to be too much that would be questionable about what we've been able to do when Martinez is in there.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Lamar Jackson isn't impressing. In fact, I'd argue his INT wasn't an INT and it should have been a reception, Troy ball.

I think literally the only reason it was ruled an interception is because for some inexplicable reason the receiver gave up. They both had their hands all over the ball, and then for no good reason at all, the receiver just let it go. if I remember right, the ref was just staring at them the whole time, and only made the call after the receiver took his hands off. 

• Plus1 4
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

By this you mean the play-calling was questionable against Troy, right? 

I mean, our stats against Colorado were good enough to have a Top 5 rushing offense in the country and a Top 5 Total Offense in the country.  There doesn't seem to be too much that would be questionable about what we've been able to do when Martinez is in there.

Sure.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I think literally the only reason it was ruled an interception is because for some inexplicable reason the receiver gave up. They both had their hands all over the ball, and then for no good reason at all, the receiver just let it go. if I remember right, the ref was just staring at them the whole time, and only made the call after the receiver took his hands off. 

Yup! LJ might be the most overrated recruit we've had in a long time. He has been terrible since day one and seems to have an "i dont give a rip" attitude. Haphazardly tackling, etc. I texted my buddy during the pick, thinking for sure it was going to be overturned. One of the more bizarre calls of the day.

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Troy is in the south.  Not only is it hot but the humidity is on another level.  I'ld compare it to high altitude training.  There's also a difference between practice shape and game shape.  Ild say it takes at least 2 or 3 games to get in full game shape

If you compare the historical weather between Lincoln and Troy in July and August, it wasn't much different this year. Lincoln had 23 days in those two months where the high was 90 or above. Troy had 26. It's not like one team was running the guantlet in conditioning and the other wasn’t. 

It's not like heat and humidity in Lincoln is some sort of new phenomenon. We literally had fans passing out at the stadium against Southern Miss a couple years back. 

1 hour ago, MountainMan said:

If you compare the historical weather between Lincoln and Troy in July and August, it wasn't much different this year. Lincoln had 23 days in those two months where the high was 90 or above. Troy had 26. It's not like one team was running the guantlet in conditioning and the other wasn’t. 

It's not like heat and humidity in Lincoln is some sort of new phenomenon. We literally had fans passing out at the stadium against Southern Miss a couple years back. 

I grew up in the midwest and thought I knew what humidity was until I moved to the south.  I'm telling you it's different.  Hot is hot but with the humidity its nuts. When I go back home and people complain about the humidity I laugh.  I had asked in another post what the weather was all week in Lincoln last week. If the weather was like that all week then they should have been prepared.  If it was high 70's all week then jumped to 100 that's a big difference 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Agree with all of this.

Lamar Jackson isn't impressing. In fact, I'd argue his INT wasn't an INT and it should have been a reception, Troy ball. And he was beaten on that play with a good throw. Opponents are clearly keying on him and he's not holding up well.

I am underwhelmed by Lindsey both on offense and special teams.  I was hoping for more (evergreen phrase about this season).

The play-calling is questionable. We are barely involving the TEs, our run game seems uninspired, and we are not seeing WRs in space like I expected. In fact, we often see groups of receivers in the same area, which cannot be by design.

This sounds a lot like what I thought of UCF in Frost's first season there. I just think it's going to take time.

37 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I grew up in the midwest and thought I knew what humidity was until I moved to the south.  I'm telling you it's different.

I can also testify to this.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

Here's a huge concern about Martinez, though. Especially with Michigan's stout defense on deck.

I fail to understand how fatigue can be a factor after the summer of workouts we heard about.  And if it was heat-related, Troy seemed unaffected. And we have this fancy-schmancy food/hydration plan now, so the guys should be in even better shape (side note - the O Line LOOKS like they're in way better shape than previous years).

So, you have a valuable QB in Martinez and an O Line that looked leaky, especially late in the game, against what is supposed to be a worse defense. 

Do you really want to put Martinez back there under those circumstances?

I think this fatigue/lack of conditioning talk is not really the problem. The bigger culprits making the Troy defense look better were;

Lack of quality OL depth. Yes if you can’t rotate guys in that may exacerbate fatigue in 100 degree weather, making it appear they were better conditioned but really they were probably just more able to get more fresher bodies in there.

Not having Martinez or a more mobile QB also allowed Troy to exploit our limited playbook. When you can put more defenders in the correct positions and not have to worry about certain things offensively it can help a defense tremendously.

And a personal theory of mine is that mentally the OL, very early in the game if not before, was somewhat defeated by not having their starting QB in there. Instead of shouldering the burden of the one dimensional game plan I think they buckled a bit and saw kind of what we did, an offense that wasn’t going to be near as effective without 2AM.

So anyway I don’t think it was any sort of straight up conditioning deficiency but that may have manifest due to lack of depth, lack of options and maybe lack of desire.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

LJ might be the most overrated recruit we've had in a long time.

Maybe if you restrict it to just high school recruits. Otherwise, Tanner Lee wins that award without question.

• Plus1 1

wish it was #44 of the buffs rather than their mascot.  would be well earned justice for him

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Yup! LJ might be the most overrated recruit we've had in a long time. He has been terrible since day one and seems to have an "i dont give a rip" attitude. Haphazardly tackling, etc. I texted my buddy during the pick, thinking for sure it was going to be overturned. One of the more bizarre calls of the day.

He avoids contact and missed one of the easier tackles all day on the sidelines. Also got burnt across the middle for a big gain, and we all know he got beat on the INT, ball was under thrown due to QB being hit as he threw the ball. He doesn't have the quickness to be a good CB and lacks the physicality to make up for it. I know we are super thin at CB, but something has to give. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He avoids contact and missed one of the easier tackles all day on the sidelines. Also got burnt across the middle for a big gain, and we all know he got beat on the INT, ball was under thrown due to QB being hit as he threw the ball. He doesn't have the quickness to be a good CB and lacks the physicality to make up for it. I know we are super thin at CB, but something has to give. 

Would've been interested had Bookie come. Not to rehash things... but Bootle is playing pretty well and well...Bookie might've just taken Lamar's starting spot.

46 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

yet he continues to start..........sigh

• Plus1 2

42 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Would've been interested had Bookie come. Not to rehash things... but Bootle is playing pretty well and well...Bookie might've just taken Lamar's starting spot.

He’s starting at OU, so there’s no “might’ve” about it.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

Folks keep the topic about Martinez's injury and his status please. We've got other threads you can discuss other topics in or you can create a new one for some fresh discussion. :thumbs

Just now, teachercd said:

The HOL guys say that AM is starting...It is just a guess but still.

He's starting.  Not a guess.  Just dropping knowledge.

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think the only honest way to interpret this is that Frost has no intention of starting Martinez, and only an emergency scenario would get him in the game.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think the only honest way to interpret this is that Frost has no intention of starting Martinez, and only an emergency scenario would get him in the game.

I don't think that's the only way.  I think he's playing Michigan's game.  They don't release a depth chart of anything like that so he's not going to either.

Martinez didn't even practice last week but Frost was saying the same things all week.  He's practiced this whole week.  Unless there is a setback, I'd be shocked if he isn't out there.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I hope not because without AM, this weekend's game is a 100% L. Nebraska is too one dimensional with Bunch back there, on the road against a quality opponent.

22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You’re assuming Frost is being completely honest if you’re trying to honestly interpret what he said. 

30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

How would you expect Frost to answer the question if he didn’t want Michigan to know who’s starting?

Maybe Martinez won’t be ready, but you’re wrong about your interpretation being the only “honest” one.

If Frost believes that Martinez is not at 100%, he won't play him, a loss is just one loss, losing a player for an entire season due to making an injury worse is just not going to happen especially when you have a coach who was a QB in the past.  Frost will do the right thing and protect his players.  

Frost will likely want to keep Michigan guessing all the way up to the last possible moment.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

How would you expect Frost to answer the question if he didn’t want Michigan to know who’s starting?

Maybe Martinez won’t be ready, but you’re wrong about your interpretation being the only “honest” one.

Michigan will prepare for Martinez, who does everything Bunch does a little better.  Should Bunch end up starting, it doesn't throw Michigan off at all. 

If Martinez starts and struggles -- which could happen even if he's healthy -- it's the Huskers who take the psychological hit. If Bunch starts and struggles, we understand because he's the third-string walk-on.

If Martinez starts and thrives, I'll buy everyone pancakes. 

But I think Frost's answer was both honest and diplomatic. It's a tough call but it sounds like he'd prefer to protect Martinez another week.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

If I find out Bunch is starting I won't even bother finding a ticket for the game.  I will just hit up the bars.

Are you still looking for a single? Depending on our groups arrangements, we *may* have an extra ticket available. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

If I find out Bunch is starting I won't even bother finding a ticket for the game.  I will just hit up the bars.

Well, then you are going to be making your purchase decision after kickoff.

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, Redux said:

2AM will play barring a practice related setback

That’s the way it sounds to me.  Obviously since he dressed and warmed up last week he was very close to being ready.

As far as odds against Michigan go, let's keep in mind that Martinez was supposed to have three games under his belt at this point, but instead has less than one full game of experience right now. Even if he's physically healthy on Saturday, there's no replacement for experience.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Michigan will prepare for Martinez, who does everything Bunch does a little better.  Should Bunch end up starting, it doesn't throw Michigan off at all. 

If Martinez starts and struggles -- which could happen even if he's healthy -- it's the Huskers who take the psychological hit. If Bunch starts and struggles, we understand because he's the third-string walk-on.

If Martinez starts and thrives, I'll buy everyone pancakes. 

But I think Frost's answer was both honest and diplomatic. It's a tough call but it sounds like he'd prefer to protect Martinez another week.  

I think he starts and plays the whole game. I like Aunt Jemima syrup with my cakes please.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If Martinez starts and thrives, I'll buy everyone pancakes

I'd rather have waffles, thanks.

• Upvote 1

I think the emergency scenario that gets him in the game is going to be kickoff. 

They'll need him after kickoff.  :D

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 3

Having Martinez practice all week but starting Bunch because AM isn’t ready seems counterintuitive to me. It not only opens the possibility to further injury, but it inhibits Bunch’s growth with the offense.

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

By "pancakes" of course I mean Pancake Blocks: violent knockdowns from huge offensive linemen.

Sorry if there was any confusion. 

200.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

By "pancakes" of course I mean Pancake Blocks: violent knockdowns from huge offensive linemen.

Sorry if there was any confusion. 

Still think Aunt Jemima syrup is apropos (I'll let you guess if that is meant in any sexual context) :lol:

23 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Still think Dorothy Lynch is apropos (I'll let you guess if that is meant in any sexual context) :lol:

“FIFY” - Bill Moos

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

Having Martinez practice all week but starting Bunch because AM isn’t ready seems counterintuitive to me. It not only opens the possibility to further injury, but it inhibits Bunch’s growth with the offense.

Unless 2AM is ready to play :dunno I mean there is always the possibility of injury for any player on the field. If 2AM is ready to go that would inherently mean he is no more prone to injury than anyone else. And, if we don't play him in that situation, it would be like telling all the other players and fans and opponent that we don't really want to win this game.