What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

About 6 different guys had a shot to make this a 2 possession game late, and ALL failed. Hard to fathom the odds of that. Also, didn't seem to be the beneficiary of many spots or calls. 

Combine that with losing your QB late and it's pretty long odds to the W.

• Plus1 8

Front 7 looked pretty good.  Crazy that NU has hit 25% of last year's sack total already.  A couple unfortunate mistakes in the secondary at the end.

Martinez is gonna be a stud down the road.  He made some predictable freshman mistakes.  Lots of Nebraska shooting Nebraska in the foot today.

Shenault from CU is an absolute animal.

Definitely would've been nice to get the first game jitters out of the way against Akron where the early fumbles probably doesn't put Nebraska in a 14-0 hole.

• Plus1 1

I learned I expected to much. Knew the realities going in, but still got ticked.  Staff and team all need to learn from this and move on.

Hard for any team to over come 3 TO;s.  The fact we didnt quit tells me a lot.  Moving forward a tough loss will help this team more than an easy win.  Adversity builds character.  It will pay off moving forward.   Culture is changing.  Staff told the kids to not be afraid to make mistakes.  Obviously they were not. 

I think when Mo gets some weight, he will be a great one for us.  

No idea why Oz wasn't in during some obvious snaps.

LB's are good

DL very good-just got gassed

Secondary.....I miss Marvin Sanders.

Martinez out-IMHO

A lesson to guys who are second string. You are one play away.  One play.  The snap of the fingers or blink of an eye....

Montez is the best QB we will play all year

A lot of things to improve on. 

On the penalty at the end....make a mistake going 110 MPH.  Can't hate on that.  NU hasn't had a hitter like that since Assante (he was always good for one PI/PF per game)  He also made receivers start to fear going across the middle.  

Can't be mad.  Even year one, new staff, tons of youngsters playing, culture change and tons of miscues this game, they gave it their all.  I said I'd give the team and staff a pass.  I'm passionate, I'm a fan.....it's hard.  But I know we are light years better off than we have been in years.

• Plus1 1

While I do think we are improving (a Riley team loses this game by 20), the sloppy football cost us this game.  I called the L in the third qtr and I haven't missed many over the years.  This game was just sloppy and it cost us big. 

I think it was obvious not having that first game did not serve us well as we had no chance to work out sloppy issues and we started poorly.

Turnovers killed us spotting CU 14 points and taking points away from us.

Key drops by our receivers at huge times (one on a TD and another on a huge 3rd down)

The penalties hurt us.  I do think the Reed call was garbage.  He was just using his hands and the CU WR got the flop call.  Should have been no flag.

We didn't do a good job stopping CU on key third downs from them.  

That option play needs to go...I think we lost yards every time we tried it.  

The sacks by our defense were a good sign and glad to see.  Probably the brightest spot of the entire game for us.  

-This team has heart

-This team doesn't give up and go soft when faced with adversity

-Given all the times Nebraska shot themselves in the foot, they still should have won

-We had several good RB's

-Martinez is going to be really really good

-We had 7 sacks in one game against a quality opponent, Nebraska had a total of 14 sacks all of last year.

-Going to be growing pains, but this feels different than the past 15 years of "growing pains"

-The future is bright

• Plus1 3