What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

People saying settle down because we were never going to make the playoff this year. Yeah, we know. We're pissed because if we weren't 3-0 after the Troy game we're REALLY going to struggle to make a bowl game, and that's SUPER important for momentum going in to next year. I believe we NEED to get 6 wins this year to build some positive momentum for this program when there hasn't been much for a long time 

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

People saying settle down because we were never going to make the playoff this year. Yeah, we know. We're pissed because if we weren't 3-0 after the Troy game we're REALLY going to struggle to make a bowl game, and that's SUPER important for momentum going in to next year. I believe we NEED to get 6 wins this year to build some positive momentum for this program when there hasn't been much for a long time 

I don’t know if that’s true, Purdue and Northwestern don’t look that great this year. Michigan State is winnable as well.

3 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I live on the west coast and watch a lot of Pac 12 football.  No one is scared of CU, they are a good opponent but not a really tough opponent.  This is what has me a bit concerned.  Yes it was a quality opponent but we need to have this win.  There were some good things today but ultimately more bad than good and it cost us this game.  This one stings so will be interesting to see our improvement over the season.  

No one expected them to be any good this year. They lost their 3 starting WRs, their starting RB, and they were very poor defensively last year. But they got a grad transfer RB, and have a QB who flashes some elite level play at times.

And obviously, WR is not even remotely a problem for them. They had a guy get injured and someone else stepped up and made plays. There’s a reason they immediately jumped about 45 spots in the S&P rankings. They have dudes in that offense and are better than anyone would have expected in the preseason. I hear what you’re saying, and I don’t fully disagree, but I think this wasn’t a bad loss and would have been a really good win.

Assuming the Buffs have a decent offense, our defense looked to be improved. 

I love that we seem to have a pass rush, either that or the Buffs O-line cannot pass block.

With that said, the D is still going to give up points, so the offense needs to be hitting on all cylinders.

I liked what I saw on offense, for the most part.

AM played his age, but he is good. He really needs to keep his heroics in check.

I hope AM isn't out for long or it might be a long season.

Frustrating to watch veteran receivers drop clutch passes.

Turnovers are killers.

Time management is not one of Frost's strong suits.

Assuming we continue to get better each week, we'll be okay. Rome wasn't built in a day.

8 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I live on the west coast and watch a lot of Pac 12 football.  No one is scared of CU, they are a good opponent but not a really tough opponent.  This is what has me a bit concerned.  Yes it was a quality opponent but we need to have this win.  There were some good things today but ultimately more bad than good and it cost us this game.  This one stings so will be interesting to see our improvement over the season.  

Good point. Colorado seems like the Minnesota of the PAC 12

2 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Well - we're not 3-0 because of something we couldn't control. And we lost today partially because we were put at a disadvantage because of something we couldn't control. 

Had we played against Akron, I have no doubt we would be 2-0 and probably 3-0 going into Michigan. 

correct, we were at a disadvantage from the beginning.  It sucks but Frost seems to bring weather with him, he needs to be cleansed with sage or something, that's 3 games in 2 seasons haha. 

In truth, we could have worked on issues after game 1 had we played so we got a bit screwed but made the most of it.  I'm thinking things will change for the better as time goes on.  We definitely could have been 2-0 at this point had we played a game last week.  I hope AM is OK as the rest of our season and how we build upon this rests solely on that kid, we really dont have anything behind him and that sucks.  It is what it is though.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Frost inherited a s#!tshow. It's going to take some time and we have a difficult schedule this year. Some fans were being unrealistic re this team this year. Yeah they found a way to blow this game but I see a bright future. 

Frost wasn't hired to go 6-6 this year, he was hired to compete for championships in the future. 

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Yeah I haven't heard much fear about Colorado in the PAC-12 this season, but than again there isn't much PAC 12 conference as whole talk. You mostly just hear about the local teams. With that said, Colorado does have Montez who I feel has been the starting QB at Colorado for about 6 years. They have a really good WR unit and two decent RB's. Also, their defense appears to be much improved from last year.

I think Colorado makes waves in the PAC-12 this year, which is a conference that doesn't look really good outside of Washington and Stanford.

We sported them 14 points so it’s forgiving. Our young coach used some bad clock management in the 4th so it’s forgiving. I mean it’s his first year. But, as stated earlier, if it is year 3-4 with the same mistakes then we may have an issue. I think frost is willing to adapt tho and can figure it out.