What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, SandHills Pete said:

Put up a prayer boys..   Looks like it could be a long season.   

It shouldn't be since we are paying top dollar for coach, QB and several backs from outta state. 

I think the Texas pipeline has dried up which could be a real problem!  

lol

We learned, or rather was validated, that we have a coach that cares about winning again. He was noticeably upset in the post game. I'm going to bat for that, because big picture that's a coach that gets it done. 

And, yeah, there are some play calls on both sides I didn't like, in particular the 4th and short and opposing 3rd and very long. An awful lot to build on, though. There is losing close games in year 1 and there is losing with a lot of promise, and this was the latter by far. 

• Plus1 4

Sherman summed it up well. 

What i saw:

Beginning of the game....we saw two  players that really could have benefitted from the game last week in Bell and Martinez. Martinez, especially, was not used to being hit after not playing last year and green jerseys in practice. 

The defence entered the game wanting to do great but was still unsure of themselves. Once things started clicking.....it was awesome. Colorado made some adjustments at half and regrouped on offense and it worked well enough to win. 

Once that started working, our defence list confidence again and lost energy. 

The entire team is playing undisciplined. At this point in the rebuilding, I’m not surprised nor alarmed by that. Frost has coached very disciplined teams and he will fix that. 

I saw periods in the game that proved we have very good talent on the team. 

The problems can can be fixed with good coaching..... good thing we gave good coaches. 

• Plus1 1

We lost. Losing always hurts. I would have liked to have nabbed a win versus Colorado. My favorite win I've witnessed as a fan is the 2009 Colorado game; winning Frost's first game in thrilling fashion against Colorado would have been right up there.

But regardless of what Frost is quoted as saying, this season is truly year zero. The wins and losses don't matter. What matters is seeing if the building blocks are there for the future. Today I saw a phenom at the QB position, I saw an offensive philosophy that's the best we've had since at least 2010, I saw a defensive philosophy that is so far and away better than year's past, and I saw 7 freaking sacks from our front 7. I'm very happy with the building blocks we have. If Martinez isn't injured badly, I'm coming away from today happy about our future.

I told my bro that I thought Mo Barry was gonna be a player this year.  He looks the part.  I learned Bell isn't as fast as everyone thinks or #1 on CU's defense has Willie Gault speed.  I kinda liked the fact that quite a few guys were running their mouths' even being down 14 points.  Shows they aren't going to back down.  Granted I don't know what they were say so as long as it doesnt get a penalty i'm cool with it.  I also learned that no matter who is calling the plays there are going to be moments when I'm left scratching my head

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, brophog said:

We learned, or rather was validated, that we have a coach that cares about winning again. He was noticeably upset in the post game. I'm going to bat for that, because big picture that's a coach that gets it done. 

Yes. YES.

The emotion he had in the post-game presser...his clearly has a drive to win. He has a drive to not lose a single game

• Plus1 1

Those blitz packages are something that I haven't seen here in a long time. Under the previous staff we tried to do some, but players never executed them and we would have players running into each other getting stuffed in the same gap. I would maybe like to see a little more pressure, but am very excited to see a competent pass rush.

We also stuffed their run game. And they did pass for a lot of yards but they have an NFL QB and probably an elite NFL WR and 7.0 ypa is pretty meh in college tbh.