What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

Our strength is noticeably improved. We all knew it would be, but when it's this noticeable, it's incredibly encouraging.

You could see how much stronger and how much better prepared our offensive line was today. In the second half, Frost called a lot of interior run plays. This really surprised me. I imagined this game looking differently on offense, with more wide receiver screens as well as just getting our receivers involved more.

I was incredibly surprised to only have scored 7 points in the second half. 

I truly believe that Adrian Martinez has as much potential as any true Freshman Husker quarterback of the last 30 years. Seriously. Seeing him limp off the field was so hard.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

I truly believe that Adrian Martinez has as much potential as any true Freshman Husker quarterback of the last 30 years. Seriously. Seeing him limp off the field was so hard.

This. Martinez made so many plays versus the pass rush that reminded me of Russel Wilson and Cam Newton. Particularly the play where a blitzer had him dead-to-rights and Martinez just effortlessly shrugged him off with a stiff-arm and a backpedal; he then finished the play off with an intermediate pass completion. He showed talent we've never had in my fifteen years of being a fan. I'm sure Frost will sit him until he's ready again, but it sucks to likely not have him indefinitely.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Not making excuses for Frost but all the major hires seem to be struggling early on. Chip Kelly is 0-2. Mullen is losing to Kentucky at home right now. FSU has looked terrible so far getting blown out by VT and down to Samford. Tennessee stunk up the joint last week. Jimbo looks OK so far though. 

Overnight turnarounds are tough.

Also: Jim Harbaugh lost to Utah, and Tom Herman to Maryland. Two huge name coaches. I actually kept thinking this for the past week going into this game. 

1 hour ago, alwayshusking said:

Frost inherited a s#!tshow. It's going to take some time and we have a difficult schedule this year. Some fans were being unrealistic re this team this year. Yeah they found a way to blow this game but I see a bright future. 

Frost wasn't hired to go 6-6 this year, he was hired to compete for championships in the future. 

Is it unrealistic to expect 6 wins? Am I over-stating the importance of a bowl game? Extra practice, more national exposure, we likely win, momentum going into off season, recruiting, and overall culture. 

It may have been a crap show, but Frost did inherit and bring some athletes, and should be able to get 6 wins. (let the record show that I am still 100% behind Frost) 

1 minute ago, C-4 said:

This. Martinez made so many plays versus the pass rush that reminded me of Russel Wilson and Cam Newton. Particularly the play where a blitzed had him dead to rights and he shrugged him off effortlessly with a stiff-arm and backpedal; he then finished the play off with an intermediate pass completion. He showed talent we've never had in my fifteen years of being a fan. I'm sure Frost will sit him until he's ready again, but it sucks to likely not have him indefinitely.

I've never heard a referee basically say a hit couldn't be illegal because the QB was too awesome to have gotten hit. Martinez definitely showed he's got that playmaker potential, both with his arm and legs. But he also had to do that too much because his pocket presence was poor, and he never really got into a good rhythm. His ceiling is so high that even when he plays well below that ceiling, as I think he did today, he's still very productive.

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

Is it unrealistic to expect 6 wins? Am I over-stating the importance of a bowl game? Extra practice, more national exposure, we likely win, momentum going into off season, recruiting, and overall culture. 

It may have been a crap show, but Frost did inherit some athletes, and should be able to get 6 wins. (let the record show that I am 100% behind Frost) 

Like the defensive line.  He inherited the defensive and offensive lines.  They look like completely new players this year.

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

It may have been a crap show, but Frost did inherit some athletes, and should be able to get 6 wins. (let the record show that I am 100% behind Frost) 

With Martinez I think we get to 6+ wins. Without I don't know. We don't have much margin for error, so we are in a bad spot right now.

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

In the overall scheme of the year, this game probably means squat

I think it means more to the change of culture Frost is trying to instill within the program. The team was upset it lost, Frost was upset they lost. They didn't shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, no big deal, on to next week." 

There is a fire about this program. Accountability. Passion. Core Values from a coach who understands a winning culture and not a culture of mediocrity. This loss speaks volumes about installing a drive to win. I'm not upset the Huskers lost. I'm actually encouraged with what we saw on the field.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, CharBroiled said:

I think it means more to the change of culture Frost is trying to instill within the program. The team was upset it lost, Frost was upset they lost. They didn't shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, no big deal, on to next week." 

There is a fire about this program. Accountability. Passion. Core Values from a coach who understands a winning culture and not a culture of mediocrity. This loss speaks volumes about installing a drive to win. I'm not upset the Huskers lost. I'm actually encouraged with what we saw on the field.

I meant the outcome doesn't mean much.  Not a conference game

3 hours ago, chamrocck said:

The penalties hurt us.  I do think the Reed call was garbage.  He was just using his hands and the CU WR got the flop call.  Should have been no flag.

2 hours ago, lo country said:

When I saw it live, I was all WTH!!!  Re-play, I agree.  He was coming in and threw his hands up full speed (as he should've been going) pull him into the receiver.  Poor call.  Bam/bam it looked bad, but shouldn't have been called IMO.

It was a gift INT that ends the game if he is actually paying attention beyond trying to hit the guy.