What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

2 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

In the overall scheme of the program it doesn't mean squat. In terms of this year it could be a pretty big loss. 

I'm looking at the program in terms of the next few years so it doesn't bother me. Everyone has their own perspective though. 

why would it matter?  If get close to six, we'll pay Akron to come back.  No dreams were dashed, except for Martinez and lets be honest, if he gets hurt in the first game against a Pac-12 team how in the hell will he hold up during conference play?  

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

why would it matter?  If get close to six, we'll pay Akron to come back.  No dreams were dashed, except for Martinez and lets be honest, if he gets hurt in the first game against a Pac-12 team how in the hell will he hold up during conference play?  

The injury he sustained was on a play that would have happened to any player against any opponent. It has nothing to do with his durability....

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

We also stuffed their run game. And they did pass for a lot of yards but they have an NFL QB and probably an elite NFL WR and 7.0 ypa is pretty meh in college

7 yards per attempt is considered below average. Holding a team to that and 1.3 yards per rush is quite good. 4.6 ypp today. Made them earn a lot of that with very accurate throws, and even then when our CBs really learn their technique some of those might be picks. I can't complain overall much about the defense other than the result. The energy level from about their third drive until halftime was incredible. 

I hate losing a game like this because this kind of performance gets lost. We had some real standouts today. The Davis twins will earn paycheck a under Chinander, they were unblockable at times and he could play them anywhere. Gifford had that sick spin move, too. Just some crazy stuff we didn't even know some of these guys could do.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, C-4 said:

The injury he sustained was on a play that would have happened to any player against any opponent. It has nothing to do with his durability....

Right- just happened to be in game one because he-in his few years on earth- has proven to be durable. What a statistical anomaly this year has been so far.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I learned Frost can mismanage the clock just as badly as Mike Riley can and that he's not God.

I agree, I don't understand the poor clock management, and running it up the gut on 4th and 1 twice

I thought in getting Frost we were going to get a much more creative offensive scheme. Nothing creative on offense, not one reverse or trick play to keep Colorado defense honest!!!

On 4th and 1 defense was in the backfield waiting for the ball carrier. Need more motion plays to keep Colorado from swarming to the ball. Obviously, a huge late hit penalty on 3rd and 24 to keep Colorado in the game. I am sure the coaches will address that!

1 minute ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

I agree, I don't understand the poor clock management, and running it up the gut on 4th and 1 twice

I thought in getting Frost we were going to get a much more creative offensive scheme. Nothing creative on offense, not one reverse or trick play to keep Colorado defense honest!!!

On 4th and 1 defense was in the backfield waiting for the ball carrier. Need more motion plays to keep Colorado from swarming to the ball. Obviously, a huge late hit penalty on 3rd and 24 to keep Colorado in the game. I am sure the coaches will address that!

Somebody call Scott Frost and tell him he has a new OC

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I liked our defense alot today. Coverage will get better and when it does this D can be elite. That was the piece I was looking for. Stuffed the run, got after the QB and made Montez make some elite throws. We should look better against Big 10 QBs.

Not worried about the offense. Turnovers killed us but we were moving the ball pretty well all game as the yardage shows. It will only get better as Frost kept it pretty vanilla.

1. It isn't gonna happen overnight.

2. Clearly not playing last week is why this happened. It's gonna look like excuse making, but come on.... fumble on your first two possessions, special teams penalties galore, drops... a full game last week and I'm convinced this doesn't happen. This doesn't happen at all. I think I'm angrier at Akron and the weather than I am at Colorado.

Honestly, this was my biggest worry all week. You can talk about how great your practice is but there simply is no substitute for live game contact. Maybe we were as prepared as we could be to play today, but it's hard not to do stupid self-destructive s#!t like that first time out.

It's sickening, especially since I LIVE here and am probably gonna have to deal with it for awhile. It's even worse when you feel like you were probably the better team and just crapped all over yourselves.

I imagine we will rue this loss for awhile, but I also think there will come a time in the not-too-distant-future where we can easily forget about this.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, brophog said:

7 yards per attempt is considered below average. Holding a team to that and 1.3 yards per rush is quite good. 4.6 ypp today. Made them earn a lot of that with very accurate throws, and even then when our CBs really learn their technique some of those might be picks. I can't complain overall much about the defense other than the result. The energy level from about their third drive until halftime was incredible. 

I hate losing a game like this because this kind of performance gets lost. We had some real standouts today. The Davis twins will earn paycheck a under Chinander, they were unblockable at times and he could play them anywhere. Gifford had that sick spin move, too. Just some crazy stuff we didn't even know some of these guys could do.

I was a little wait and see with Chinander, but from what I saw today I am getting on board with him. See us actually "win" some jump balls on defense. I got so used to those just being caught on us recently. Khalil was a monster today, and Gifford looks very good rushing. Adding that could get him some PT on Sundays eventually.  And yeah after spotting them 14 points off turnovers they could have easily sent the defense into a funk, but they came out and made some key stops after that. Don't even get me started on the poise of Martinez after that start. I honestly believe that if he didn't get injured he leads to a score with 1 minute to go. Just a pure gamer. 

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I liked our defense alot today. Coverage will get better and when it does this D can be elite. That was the piece I was looking for. Stuffed the run, got after the QB and made Montez make some elite throws. We should look better against Big 10 QBs.

Not worried about the offense. Turnovers killed us but we were moving the ball pretty well all game as the yardage shows. It will only get better as Frost kept it pretty vanilla.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers  The first two I can forgive-guys had the yipes.  But I thought we had reincarnated Lee with that last pic.  

This thread seems to have three different kinds of people/thinkers. Result-oriented people, process-oriented people and a mixture of the two.

Nobody is happy after a loss, but it seems like a lot of the result-oriented people are more upset because they care more about results. The process-oriented people aren't happy, but feel much better because Nebraska looked immensely more competent than last year.

I guess I'm more process-oriented, at least right now. Nebraska was -3 in turnovers, missed a field goal, failed to convert two fourth downs and STILL they had a chance to win the game with a backup walkon QB in the first game with an entirely new staff and system against another power five team. Generally, teams with all the negatives listed above lose by three touchdowns or more in similar situations.

I don't know how long Martinez is out, and that could be extremely problematic, but Nebraska looks to be in much better shape now. Get the process right and the results will follow.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Branno said:

There is a lot to excited about. The defensive and offensive lines were stout. The running game was fantastic. Shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties. 

The future is bright. 

You know what's awesome? The players lost the game and not the coaches.  Just as it should be.  Future is indeed bright

• Plus1 2