What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

I learned the following:

-That our front seven are going to potentially win us games we shouldn’t win (e.g. Michigan)

-That our secondary will potentially lose us games we should win (e.g. Pur-f*****g-due)

-That there’s a reason other conferences shudder when they have a PAC-12 officiating crew.

-That the old axioms of winning the turnover battle are legit

-That third year head coaches don’t have everything figured out, no matter how much water they walk on in the stadium or how much water they turn into wine at the post-game frat parties. 

-That the in-state radio broadcast on the internet internet isn’t behind a paywall anymore, so you don’t have to listen to (insert network here)’s horrible PbP.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I may have more things after I watch the game on DVR but from being in the stadium I learned that this team will play football and they are going to be exciting to watch. Sure there were some (plenty) of mistakes, turnovers, drops etc. but for the most part they looked considerably improved in all phases of play and coaching. As much as I hate losing, especially to CU, I can accept it when it comes with obvious effort and heart. This team exhibited that they are young and have much work to do but this is light years ahead of where we've been with the last 3 coaching staffs. I liked what I saw.

From this thread I learned that we have some fickle fans who have their head so far up their ass that the only thing that matters to them is the final score and damn the obviously improved product on the field 

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

I saw a few people on in here in a couple different threads complaining about why Scott Frost didn't do this or that differently at the end of the game and that his clock management sucked. I respectfully disagree. When was the last time we had a coach that wanted to WIN games, not just not lose them? HCSF is aggressive and wants to crush his opponents, beat them and smash them in to the ground. I'll take this L and don't feel bad about it because we finally have a coach that wants to WIN. It sucks we lost, but hot damn, I am excited to see how much this team has improved and how much of a coaching/mindset improvement we have with HCSF.

• Plus1 7
2 minutes ago, kozzman555 said:

I saw a few people on in here in a couple different threads complaining about why Scott Frost didn't do this or that differently at the end of the game and that his clock management sucked. I respectfully disagree. When was the last time we had a coach that wanted to WIN games, not just not lose them? HCSF is aggressive and wants to crush his opponents, beat them and smash them in to the ground. I'll take this L and don't feel bad about it because we finally have a coach that wants to WIN. It sucks we lost, but hot damn, I am excited to see how much this team has improved and how much of a coaching/mindset improvement we have with HCSF.

Agreed. It's nice having a head coach that remains aggressive instead of puckering up whenever things get close.

And honestly, it will probably cost Nebraska a few wins under Frost. It will almost certainly create more wins over the years though.

• Plus1 5

Turnovers will cancel out an otherwise impressive offensive performance and likely lead to an L more often than not. This felt like a could a-would a -should a Pelini era game where we lost to an inferior opponent by shooting our selves in the foot too many times.  That being said, we are definitely improved over last season and we should be competitive in every game we play this season.

• Plus1 1

Just rewatched the game- that Stanley drop is the definition of a back breaker. Your senior captain and one of the team leaders simply needs to make that play 100% of the time and just didn’t.  

That being said- a lot of the mistakes made today will get cleaned up and perhaps a tough loss will go much further in fixing the mistakes pointed out on these various threads much more effectively than a win would.

also, if Martinez can come back in a couple weeks I see no reason why we cannot take down Wisconsin or Michigan. The front 7 looked very promising- I know Colorado has no where near the line or run game as some big 10 heavy weights but it was very pleasing to see actual defensive intensity across the board. 

Future is trending up my friends 

• Plus1 4

special teams, kick return team and field goal kicker.......needs lots of work

Morgan and Spielman couldn't make the money catches......disappointing

Frost going for it on 4th and 2....twice, poor judgement and poor play calling, he got schooled in 2nd half

crucial penalties, stupid mistakes by our DB's

no one behind Bunch.......hope the kid stays healthy or disaster on the way, he looked composed.

I think we learned (or confirmed) we're in great hands, long term.  Chin has already greatly exceeded my expectations (take that for what it's worth heh).

I'm just tired of being the fumbly bumbly Bad News Bears team all the time.  Not mad.  Just tired.  

Martinez has all the tools to be a truly great QB in this offense.  I think we learned that.  Hold onto the ball and stay healthy, young man.

• Plus1 3