suh_fan93

What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

7 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

People saying settle down because we were never going to make the playoff this year. Yeah, we know. We're pissed because if we weren't 3-0 after the Troy game we're REALLY going to struggle to make a bowl game, and that's SUPER important for momentum going in to next year. I believe we NEED to get 6 wins this year to build some positive momentum for this program when there hasn't been much for a long time 

Frost inherited a s#!tshow. It's going to take some time and we have a difficult schedule this year. Some fans were being unrealistic re this team this year. Yeah they found a way to blow this game but I see a bright future. 

Frost wasn't hired to go 6-6 this year, he was hired to compete for championships in the future. 

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I live on the west coast and watch a lot of Pac 12 football.  No one is scared of CU, they are a good opponent but not a really tough opponent.  This is what has me a bit concerned.  Yes it was a quality opponent but we need to have this win.  There were some good things today but ultimately more bad than good and it cost us this game.  This one stings so will be interesting to see our improvement over the season.  

Yeah I haven't heard much fear about Colorado in the PAC-12 this season, but than again there isn't much PAC 12 conference as whole talk. You mostly just hear about the local teams. With that said, Colorado does have Montez who I feel has been the starting QB at Colorado for about 6 years. They have a really good WR unit and two decent RB's. Also, their defense appears to be much improved from last year.

I think Colorado makes waves in the PAC-12 this year, which is a conference that doesn't look really good outside of Washington and Stanford.

I saw a lot of good things (which I expected), and a lot of miscues (which I also expected). I'm willing to tolerate it this season, because they are correctable mistakes and it's a new system. In future seasons, I won't be as forgiving. 

We sported them 14 points so it’s forgiving. Our young coach used some bad clock management in the 4th so it’s forgiving. I mean it’s his first year. But, as stated earlier, if it is year 3-4 with the same mistakes then we may have an issue. I think frost is willing to adapt tho and can figure it out.

Lots of mistakes to go around, not one kid is at fault but lots of dumb mistakes, first game jitters, they will get better, hope Martinez is okay.  Missing out on the Akron opener really showed.  

1 hour ago, SandHills Pete said:

Put up a prayer boys..   Looks like it could be a long season.   

It shouldn't be since we are paying top dollar for coach, QB and several backs from outta state. 

I think the Texas pipeline has dried up which could be a real problem!  

lol

I learned that while the faces of Huskerboard changed while I was gone, not a lot has changed.  New faces, new members, but the after-loss meltdowns are still going strong.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

We learned, or rather was validated, that we have a coach that cares about winning again. He was noticeably upset in the post game. I'm going to bat for that, because big picture that's a coach that gets it done. 

And, yeah, there are some play calls on both sides I didn't like, in particular the 4th and short and opposing 3rd and very long. An awful lot to build on, though. There is losing close games in year 1 and there is losing with a lot of promise, and this was the latter by far. 

• Plus1 4

7 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

I think Mitch summarizes it pretty well

Good riddance in regards to Gebbia...to live in the past is to die in the present

Sherman summed it up well. 

What i saw:

Beginning of the game....we saw two  players that really could have benefitted from the game last week in Bell and Martinez. Martinez, especially, was not used to being hit after not playing last year and green jerseys in practice. 

The defence entered the game wanting to do great but was still unsure of themselves. Once things started clicking.....it was awesome. Colorado made some adjustments at half and regrouped on offense and it worked well enough to win. 

Once that started working, our defence list confidence again and lost energy. 

The entire team is playing undisciplined. At this point in the rebuilding, I’m not surprised nor alarmed by that. Frost has coached very disciplined teams and he will fix that. 

I saw periods in the game that proved we have very good talent on the team. 

The problems can can be fixed with good coaching..... good thing we gave good coaches. 

• Plus1 1

We lost. Losing always hurts. I would have liked to have nabbed a win versus Colorado. My favorite win I've witnessed as a fan is the 2009 Colorado game; winning Frost's first game in thrilling fashion against Colorado would have been right up there.

But regardless of what Frost is quoted as saying, this season is truly year zero. The wins and losses don't matter. What matters is seeing if the building blocks are there for the future. Today I saw a phenom at the QB position, I saw an offensive philosophy that's the best we've had since at least 2010, I saw a defensive philosophy that is so far and away better than year's past, and I saw 7 freaking sacks from our front 7. I'm very happy with the building blocks we have. If Martinez isn't injured badly, I'm coming away from today happy about our future.

I told my bro that I thought Mo Barry was gonna be a player this year.  He looks the part.  I learned Bell isn't as fast as everyone thinks or #1 on CU's defense has Willie Gault speed.  I kinda liked the fact that quite a few guys were running their mouths' even being down 14 points.  Shows they aren't going to back down.  Granted I don't know what they were say so as long as it doesnt get a penalty i'm cool with it.  I also learned that no matter who is calling the plays there are going to be moments when I'm left scratching my head

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, brophog said:

We learned, or rather was validated, that we have a coach that cares about winning again. He was noticeably upset in the post game. I'm going to bat for that, because big picture that's a coach that gets it done. 

Yes. YES.

The emotion he had in the post-game presser...his clearly has a drive to win. He has a drive to not lose a single game

• Plus1 1

Those blitz packages are something that I haven't seen here in a long time. Under the previous staff we tried to do some, but players never executed them and we would have players running into each other getting stuffed in the same gap. I would maybe like to see a little more pressure, but am very excited to see a competent pass rush.

We also stuffed their run game. And they did pass for a lot of yards but they have an NFL QB and probably an elite NFL WR and 7.0 ypa is pretty meh in college tbh. 

Our strength is noticeably improved. We all knew it would be, but when it's this noticeable, it's incredibly encouraging.

You could see how much stronger and how much better prepared our offensive line was today. In the second half, Frost called a lot of interior run plays. This really surprised me. I imagined this game looking differently on offense, with more wide receiver screens as well as just getting our receivers involved more.

I was incredibly surprised to only have scored 7 points in the second half. 

I truly believe that Adrian Martinez has as much potential as any true Freshman Husker quarterback of the last 30 years. Seriously. Seeing him limp off the field was so hard.

• Plus1 1

Not making excuses for Frost but all the major hires seem to be struggling early on. Chip Kelly is 0-2. Mullen is losing to Kentucky at home right now. FSU has looked terrible so far getting blown out by VT and down to Samford. Tennessee stunk up the joint last week. Jimbo looks OK so far though. 

Overnight turnarounds are tough.

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

I truly believe that Adrian Martinez has as much potential as any true Freshman Husker quarterback of the last 30 years. Seriously. Seeing him limp off the field was so hard.

This. Martinez made so many plays versus the pass rush that reminded me of Russel Wilson and Cam Newton. Particularly the play where a blitzer had him dead-to-rights and Martinez just effortlessly shrugged him off with a stiff-arm and a backpedal; he then finished the play off with an intermediate pass completion. He showed talent we've never had in my fifteen years of being a fan. I'm sure Frost will sit him until he's ready again, but it sucks to likely not have him indefinitely.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Not making excuses for Frost but all the major hires seem to be struggling early on. Chip Kelly is 0-2. Mullen is losing to Kentucky at home right now. FSU has looked terrible so far getting blown out by VT and down to Samford. Tennessee stunk up the joint last week. Jimbo looks OK so far though. 

Overnight turnarounds are tough.

Also: Jim Harbaugh lost to Utah, and Tom Herman to Maryland. Two huge name coaches. I actually kept thinking this for the past week going into this game. 

1 hour ago, alwayshusking said:

Frost inherited a s#!tshow. It's going to take some time and we have a difficult schedule this year. Some fans were being unrealistic re this team this year. Yeah they found a way to blow this game but I see a bright future. 

Frost wasn't hired to go 6-6 this year, he was hired to compete for championships in the future. 

Is it unrealistic to expect 6 wins? Am I over-stating the importance of a bowl game? Extra practice, more national exposure, we likely win, momentum going into off season, recruiting, and overall culture. 

It may have been a crap show, but Frost did inherit and bring some athletes, and should be able to get 6 wins. (let the record show that I am still 100% behind Frost) 

1 minute ago, C-4 said:

This. Martinez made so many plays versus the pass rush that reminded me of Russel Wilson and Cam Newton. Particularly the play where a blitzed had him dead to rights and he shrugged him off effortlessly with a stiff-arm and backpedal; he then finished the play off with an intermediate pass completion. He showed talent we've never had in my fifteen years of being a fan. I'm sure Frost will sit him until he's ready again, but it sucks to likely not have him indefinitely.

I've never heard a referee basically say a hit couldn't be illegal because the QB was too awesome to have gotten hit. Martinez definitely showed he's got that playmaker potential, both with his arm and legs. But he also had to do that too much because his pocket presence was poor, and he never really got into a good rhythm. His ceiling is so high that even when he plays well below that ceiling, as I think he did today, he's still very productive.

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

Is it unrealistic to expect 6 wins? Am I over-stating the importance of a bowl game? Extra practice, more national exposure, we likely win, momentum going into off season, recruiting, and overall culture. 

It may have been a crap show, but Frost did inherit some athletes, and should be able to get 6 wins. (let the record show that I am 100% behind Frost) 

Like the defensive line.  He inherited the defensive and offensive lines.  They look like completely new players this year.

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

It may have been a crap show, but Frost did inherit some athletes, and should be able to get 6 wins. (let the record show that I am 100% behind Frost) 

With Martinez I think we get to 6+ wins. Without I don't know. We don't have much margin for error, so we are in a bad spot right now.

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

In the overall scheme of the year, this game probably means squat

I think it means more to the change of culture Frost is trying to instill within the program. The team was upset it lost, Frost was upset they lost. They didn't shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, no big deal, on to next week." 

There is a fire about this program. Accountability. Passion. Core Values from a coach who understands a winning culture and not a culture of mediocrity. This loss speaks volumes about installing a drive to win. I'm not upset the Huskers lost. I'm actually encouraged with what we saw on the field.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, CharBroiled said:

I think it means more to the change of culture Frost is trying to instill within the program. The team was upset it lost, Frost was upset they lost. They didn't shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, no big deal, on to next week." 

There is a fire about this program. Accountability. Passion. Core Values from a coach who understands a winning culture and not a culture of mediocrity. This loss speaks volumes about installing a drive to win. I'm not upset the Huskers lost. I'm actually encouraged with what we saw on the field.

I meant the outcome doesn't mean much.  Not a conference game

3 hours ago, chamrocck said:

The penalties hurt us.  I do think the Reed call was garbage.  He was just using his hands and the CU WR got the flop call.  Should have been no flag.

2 hours ago, lo country said:

When I saw it live, I was all WTH!!!  Re-play, I agree.  He was coming in and threw his hands up full speed (as he should've been going) pull him into the receiver.  Poor call.  Bam/bam it looked bad, but shouldn't have been called IMO.

It was a gift INT that ends the game if he is actually paying attention beyond trying to hit the guy.

7 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

In the overall scheme of the year, this game probably means squat

In the overall scheme of the program it doesn't mean squat. In terms of this year it could be a pretty big loss. 

I'm looking at the program in terms of the next few years so it doesn't bother me. Everyone has their own perspective though. 

You realize that even with the "spread" term seemingly make you think of the passing game, this Frost offense is super run heavy. The RBs looked good, but gets you excited for the recruits next year. Take all the running backs!

2 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

In the overall scheme of the program it doesn't mean squat. In terms of this year it could be a pretty big loss. 

I'm looking at the program in terms of the next few years so it doesn't bother me. Everyone has their own perspective though. 

why would it matter?  If get close to six, we'll pay Akron to come back.  No dreams were dashed, except for Martinez and lets be honest, if he gets hurt in the first game against a Pac-12 team how in the hell will he hold up during conference play?  

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

why would it matter?  If get close to six, we'll pay Akron to come back.  No dreams were dashed, except for Martinez and lets be honest, if he gets hurt in the first game against a Pac-12 team how in the hell will he hold up during conference play?  

The injury he sustained was on a play that would have happened to any player against any opponent. It has nothing to do with his durability....

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

We also stuffed their run game. And they did pass for a lot of yards but they have an NFL QB and probably an elite NFL WR and 7.0 ypa is pretty meh in college

7 yards per attempt is considered below average. Holding a team to that and 1.3 yards per rush is quite good. 4.6 ypp today. Made them earn a lot of that with very accurate throws, and even then when our CBs really learn their technique some of those might be picks. I can't complain overall much about the defense other than the result. The energy level from about their third drive until halftime was incredible. 

I hate losing a game like this because this kind of performance gets lost. We had some real standouts today. The Davis twins will earn paycheck a under Chinander, they were unblockable at times and he could play them anywhere. Gifford had that sick spin move, too. Just some crazy stuff we didn't even know some of these guys could do.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, C-4 said:

The injury he sustained was on a play that would have happened to any player against any opponent. It has nothing to do with his durability....

Right- just happened to be in game one because he-in his few years on earth- has proven to be durable. What a statistical anomaly this year has been so far.  

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I learned Frost can mismanage the clock just as badly as Mike Riley can and that he's not God.

I agree, I don't understand the poor clock management, and running it up the gut on 4th and 1 twice

I thought in getting Frost we were going to get a much more creative offensive scheme. Nothing creative on offense, not one reverse or trick play to keep Colorado defense honest!!!

On 4th and 1 defense was in the backfield waiting for the ball carrier. Need more motion plays to keep Colorado from swarming to the ball. Obviously, a huge late hit penalty on 3rd and 24 to keep Colorado in the game. I am sure the coaches will address that!

1 minute ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

I agree, I don't understand the poor clock management, and running it up the gut on 4th and 1 twice

I thought in getting Frost we were going to get a much more creative offensive scheme. Nothing creative on offense, not one reverse or trick play to keep Colorado defense honest!!!

On 4th and 1 defense was in the backfield waiting for the ball carrier. Need more motion plays to keep Colorado from swarming to the ball. Obviously, a huge late hit penalty on 3rd and 24 to keep Colorado in the game. I am sure the coaches will address that!

Somebody call Scott Frost and tell him he has a new OC

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I will have to go back and re-watch the game, but I dont think we throw the ball enough over the intermediate middle the 7-15 yards range.

Agree, wholeheartedly! see my previous post! No reverse plays nothing to keep Colorado from pursuing the ball!!

I liked our defense alot today. Coverage will get better and when it does this D can be elite. That was the piece I was looking for. Stuffed the run, got after the QB and made Montez make some elite throws. We should look better against Big 10 QBs.

Not worried about the offense. Turnovers killed us but we were moving the ball pretty well all game as the yardage shows. It will only get better as Frost kept it pretty vanilla.

1. It isn't gonna happen overnight.

2. Clearly not playing last week is why this happened. It's gonna look like excuse making, but come on.... fumble on your first two possessions, special teams penalties galore, drops... a full game last week and I'm convinced this doesn't happen. This doesn't happen at all. I think I'm angrier at Akron and the weather than I am at Colorado.

Honestly, this was my biggest worry all week. You can talk about how great your practice is but there simply is no substitute for live game contact. Maybe we were as prepared as we could be to play today, but it's hard not to do stupid self-destructive s#!t like that first time out.

It's sickening, especially since I LIVE here and am probably gonna have to deal with it for awhile. It's even worse when you feel like you were probably the better team and just crapped all over yourselves.

I imagine we will rue this loss for awhile, but I also think there will come a time in the not-too-distant-future where we can easily forget about this.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, brophog said:

7 yards per attempt is considered below average. Holding a team to that and 1.3 yards per rush is quite good. 4.6 ypp today. Made them earn a lot of that with very accurate throws, and even then when our CBs really learn their technique some of those might be picks. I can't complain overall much about the defense other than the result. The energy level from about their third drive until halftime was incredible. 

I hate losing a game like this because this kind of performance gets lost. We had some real standouts today. The Davis twins will earn paycheck a under Chinander, they were unblockable at times and he could play them anywhere. Gifford had that sick spin move, too. Just some crazy stuff we didn't even know some of these guys could do.

I was a little wait and see with Chinander, but from what I saw today I am getting on board with him. See us actually "win" some jump balls on defense. I got so used to those just being caught on us recently. Khalil was a monster today, and Gifford looks very good rushing. Adding that could get him some PT on Sundays eventually.  And yeah after spotting them 14 points off turnovers they could have easily sent the defense into a funk, but they came out and made some key stops after that. Don't even get me started on the poise of Martinez after that start. I honestly believe that if he didn't get injured he leads to a score with 1 minute to go. Just a pure gamer. 

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I liked our defense alot today. Coverage will get better and when it does this D can be elite. That was the piece I was looking for. Stuffed the run, got after the QB and made Montez make some elite throws. We should look better against Big 10 QBs.

Not worried about the offense. Turnovers killed us but we were moving the ball pretty well all game as the yardage shows. It will only get better as Frost kept it pretty vanilla.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers  The first two I can forgive-guys had the yipes.  But I thought we had reincarnated Lee with that last pic.  

There is a lot to excited about. The defensive and offensive lines were stout. The running game was fantastic. Shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties. 

The future is bright. 

• Plus1 1

This thread seems to have three different kinds of people/thinkers. Result-oriented people, process-oriented people and a mixture of the two.

Nobody is happy after a loss, but it seems like a lot of the result-oriented people are more upset because they care more about results. The process-oriented people aren't happy, but feel much better because Nebraska looked immensely more competent than last year.

I guess I'm more process-oriented, at least right now. Nebraska was -3 in turnovers, missed a field goal, failed to convert two fourth downs and STILL they had a chance to win the game with a backup walkon QB in the first game with an entirely new staff and system against another power five team. Generally, teams with all the negatives listed above lose by three touchdowns or more in similar situations.

I don't know how long Martinez is out, and that could be extremely problematic, but Nebraska looks to be in much better shape now. Get the process right and the results will follow.

• Plus1 1