What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

suh_fan93

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree on the latter statement.  I am not sure I saw a better coached team today though.  We had several turnovers, some very costly dumb penalties, and very poor special teams play.  Throw in some bad clock management and it seems we have picked up where we left off last year.  Now, its the first game with a new staff so I definitely think we have to give some slack.

The thing is that Frost has had to change everything from the prior year. That is going to take time, and the final piece is playing smart and disciplined. 

Just now, alwayshusking said:

This team would've kicked the crap out of the 2017 version. Sucks to be 0-1 but we knew we weren't going to compete for any big trophies this year. That starts next year. 

I saw a lot of mistakes today but I also saw guys playing their guts out. 

Gebbia missed a huge opportunity imo.

Shame about Gebbia, but Bunch didn't look bad at all given the situation he was tossed in.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, alwayshusking said:

This team would've kicked the crap out of the 2017 version. Sucks to be 0-1 but we knew we weren't going to compete for any big trophies this year. That starts next year. 

I saw a lot of mistakes today but I also saw guys playing their guts out. 

Gebbia missed a huge opportunity imo.

I'm not worried about competing for trophies. I just want them to compete one game at a time, every time. 

I used up all my upvotes today but I agree with all of you. :D

I was really impressed with Tre Neal. He cleaned up a lot of mistakes for us including calling an important time-out when we only had 10 guys on the field. Corners got beat but were close to making plays and there were a few coverage sacks so I’m encouraged there.

When Colorado’s LT went down, their back-up saved them in my opinion. He was more athletic and didn’t get beat every single down. Our front 7 was very impressive and forced Colorado’s hand in playcalling. On that note, our OLine played really well most of the game. Just an incredible improvement over last year. Martinez is so composed and made so many great plays. He’s going to be a Heisman candidate at some point in his career.

Negatives: A well respected poster on HM had mentioned that drops were an issue in camp and he obviously wasn’t kidding. I still don’t see a ton of depth that coaches talked up, but maybe it will get there. Some confusion in our coaching decisions to be sure but I can’t complain too much about that.

Colorado was a really tough OOC opponent and we outplayed them most of the game. Hats off to them for the win, but I leave this game very optimistic, even if we have to wait a year for big time results.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Unbelievable.  We're one game into Frost's 1st season and we already have people saying the season is lost or hinting that it is.  

:wacko:

I'm mostly just concerned because of Martinez. If he hadn't been injured I wouldn't be all that worried about season. (I'm not all that worried at this point anyway though, because I "trust in the process.")