BlitzFirst

Frost Mismanaged Clock like Riley

Anyone going to call out Frost for mismanaging the clock like Riley in the Illinois game?  Could have bled the clock for almost 1.5 minutes and didn't.  I think the L is on him more than the players.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 2

Agree that clock management was Riley bad. 

We just made way too many mistakes and it looked like we were going to get away with it. Not the case

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Oh God, I knew this was a BlitzFirst topic.

Dude, it's truth...he had his QB's snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll own up. I did in the game thread.  Bunch snapped 2 with 20 and 18 secs on the clock. We coud've milked about 2 minutes off the clock.  Really poor coaching IMHO in the second half.  It was almost like watch Beck/Langs/Wats....We went away from what was working.  We stopped ourselves.  They didnt stop us.  And to not use Oz on the 4th and 1....or to not ground and pound with him....Damn.  That's on the staff.

• Plus1 5

That was poor clock management, no doubt. Cold walk-on QB. We snap with :19, :15, and incomplete throw. Not ideal. 

1 minute ago, macroboy said:

One could argue we need it all of that time in the end. Could have even used some more

Was talking about when we were up by 1 with minutes left in the 4th...and we could have milked the clock so that Colorado had less time to score their final TD.

• Upvote 1

I think the argument is that had the ball been snapped later with like 5 minutes to go that Colorado would have run out of clock before their final score at 1:06.

• Upvote 1

There was 3:00 left when it happened. It was dumbfounding and the announcers were critical as well. 

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

Questions will he asked about it.  I'm more curious when Reed addresses the media.   Tre Neal was on him on the sidelines to let it go and get over it

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Dude, it's truth...he had his QB's snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock.

I dont put that on the coaching staff.  Thats more the fault of a walkon QB seeing his first playing time, inside a stadium full of rabid fans, in a game he feels like he must win.  Nerves are what caused the poor clock mgmt IMO

• Plus1 1

I think Frost did mismanage the clock at the end of the game. Maybe that’s a negative of his offense. I’m sure Frost will learn to adapt from that. 

• Plus1 2

We had plenty of chances to win this game and blew them all . I wasn’t expecting a last minute desperation drive with a walk on QB to produce any more than it did . Clock management was the least of our worries imo . 

• Plus1 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Even though I do think it was clock mismanagement, that is not why we lost the game. There is a laundry list of mistakes players made.

• Plus1 1

I do think he mismanaged the clock there at the end, I also think at the end there was questionable play calling. Such as when we have 300 yards rushing, we are we coming out throwing and Martinez throws that INT. Here is the difference between Frost and Riley on their clock mismanagement. Riley would come out and go "Ho hum, ah shucks." Frost will be upset and learn from his mistakes and get after it this week in practice. 

Tough loss, in a game Nebraska should have won. Two fumbles early kept Colorado in this game, and mistakes by Nebraska late let the Buffs win the game. 

• Plus1 3

17 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Anyone going to call out Frost for mismanaging the clock like Riley in the Illinois game?  Could have bled the clock for almost 1.5 minutes and didn't.  I think the L is on him more than the players.

Sure, go dial up Scott Frost on the coaches show and tell him how angry you are. 

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

To be honest we should have nave never been in that position. 3 turnovers lost us the game.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

I think the biggest error was committing a 15 yard penalty after an incomplete pass to force 4th and long. 

But that's just me. 

Without that penalty, we win

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, alwayshusking said:

Being -3 in TOs is what cost us the game. This is a developing program, they need to learn how to be winners.

Learning how to win is the last step in turning around a program. I’ve seen it with my son’s baseball team. They have struggled for 3 years to make the plays necessary to win. NU was very close today, just didn’t get it done. 

3 minutes ago, HuskerfaninOkieland said:

Without that penalty, we win

I think you are right, but the penalty did happen.

• Upvote 1

There were several head-scratching play calls in that 2nd half, but I try not to criticize playcalling, mostly because it leads to unresolved arguments.  

The clock mismanagement should be obvious to everyone, though.  Have to do better.

• Plus1 1

I'm not positive that bleeding the clock would have sealed the game. Going to have to look back over the replay (if I can stomach it).

It seemed like our offensive productivity on first down in the second half was really, really bad. Bell seemed particularly bad running it in the second half. That was a terrible second half on offense. Really terrible.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think you are right, but the penalty did happen.

Exactly - that penalty (plus the turnovers) are the smallest difference between winning and losing. 

What good coaches will do is coach up their players to learn from these mistakes so that they don't happen. I said going into this season that - if we want this to work long-term - wins aren't going to be the barometer of success this year. It'll be nice to win loads of games, but I'm more concerned with how this team looks in both wins and losses. 

Today, I saw a talented team make a bunch of sloppy mistakes, some of which could definitely be a product of this being Game #1. But we owned both the offensive line and defensive line. We had 7 sacks. The same line managed 14 sacks all of last season. We tackled well (very few missed tackles). Colorado's biggest gains were from really really good passes from Montez and really good catches from Shenault. The secondary played tight coverage most of the game. Last season the secondary was nowhere to be seen most games. 

On offense there's an identity. We had two 100+ yard rushers. That didn't happen AT ALL when Mike Riley was coach. Yeah, the fast might have possibly bit us in the end, but that's our identity. We've clamored for an identity for years, YEARS, and now we have one. 

The errors are coachable. But there's a lot of good coming out of this game, even if the result was a loss. So yeah, we can be bummed about the loss, and I hope the players and staff are bummed about the loss. But I also hope they see how good they are, and how good they can be. I hope Adrian isn't hurt too bad and I hope we have a good week of practice leading into the game against Troy. 

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

The above is an idiotic post.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 2

My whole section was talking about the poor clock management. They were snapping the ball WAY too quickly. 

Bad clock management.

Bad play call to pass late in the game with the lead, and we had the INT.

Bad drops.

Bad timing on the penalty to give Colorado the first down.

Also, why were the corners playing so far off the ball in the second half? 

26 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

I think the biggest error was committing a 15 yard penalty after an incomplete pass to force 4th and long. 

But that's just me. 

You sir get a purple trophy thing from me.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Exactly - that penalty (plus the turnovers) are the smallest difference between winning and losing. 

What good coaches will do is coach up their players to learn from these mistakes so that they don't happen. I said going into this season that - if we want this to work long-term - wins aren't going to be the barometer of success this year. It'll be nice to win loads of games, but I'm more concerned with how this team looks in both wins and losses. 

Today, I saw a talented team make a bunch of sloppy mistakes, some of which could definitely be a product of this being Game #1. But we owned both the offensive line and defensive line. We had 7 sacks. The same line managed 14 sacks all of last season. We tackled well (very few missed tackles). Colorado's biggest gains were from really really good passes from Montez and really good catches from Shenault. The secondary played tight coverage most of the game. Last season the secondary was nowhere to be seen most games. 

On offense there's an identity. We had two 100+ yard rushers. That didn't happen AT ALL when Mike Riley was coach. Yeah, the fast might have possibly bit us in the end, but that's our identity. We've clamored for an identity for years, YEARS, and now we have one. 

The errors are coachable. But there's a lot of good coming out of this game, even if the result was a loss. So yeah, we can be bummed about the loss, and I hope the players and staff are bummed about the loss. But I also hope they see how good they are, and how good they can be. I hope Adrian isn't hurt too bad and I hope we have a good week of practice leading into the game against Troy. 

Well said!

• Plus1 1

Just now, Packerhuskerfan said:

It was really poor time management,  but I would say the 2 early turnovers, the Speilman drop, the Morgan TD drop, and the bad defensive penalty on 3rd and 24 cost them more.

yea, but that was on the players. frost could have controlled the time management better.

i also wasn't a huge fan of the designed martinez runs. you gotta keep him healthy when you have 1 scholarship qb.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think if clock mismanagement is what you took away from this game that you're doing a disservice to yourself and how different and improved this team is.

The future is amazingly bright.

It may well be.

But if Riley had coached this exact same game, you’d be merciless.

• Plus1 6
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'll own up. I did in the game thread.  Bunch snapped 2 with 20 and 18 secs on the clock. We coud've milked about 2 minutes off the clock.  Really poor coaching IMHO in the second half.  It was almost like watch Beck/Langs/Wats....We went away from what was working.  We stopped ourselves.  They didnt stop us.  And to not use Oz on the 4th and 1....or to not ground and pound with him....Damn.  That's on the staff.

This would make sense if the Disney refs hadn't rigged the game. I don't expect anything good from ABC/ESPN and dropping TD/1st down passes let the refs control the outcome...…….also that stupid interception...…….not to mention sloppy ball handling. They'll learn a lot from film.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It may well be.

Except that Riley flat sucked and gave us no hope whatsoever.....except for that.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

41384312_740160856322015_547584609135624

I mean, that's a cute meme and everything, but taken in a vacuum, 2015 Michigan State was much, much more fun than this game. 

We had over 550 total yards, over 325 yards rushing. Stanley dropped a for sure TD, and a near miss at the end of the game. JD dropped a guaranteed first down throw by Bunch that would have likely iced the game. Colorado converted 3 Third and Forever plays (one by a penalty).

Clock management didn’t lose the game.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It may well be.

Very well possible. But Riley never won anything, anywhere, and we knew he sucked.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It could be argued if we had milked the clock when the announcers were whining about it, we would not have had a chance to come back at the end. Colorado may have scored a TD regardless of whether we dropped another minute off the clock or not.

• Plus1 5
  • Upvote 2

The fact we have to talk about Riley is stupid. Any Riley team down 14-0 losses this game 56-0. I don't give a dam when they snap the ball. Execute your offense and get first downs and no one worries about clock management.

• Plus1 4
  • Upvote 1

yea. he screwed up, but it's his first game and we were projected to win 6 games. so i'm just gonna chill and enjoy the season. we did a lot of good things today, but also a lot of things a 6 win team would do.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Saunders said:

We had over 550 total yards, over 325 yards rushing. Stanley dropped a for sure TD, and a near miss at the end of the game. JD dropped a guaranteed first down throw by Bunch that would have likely iced the game. Colorado concerted 3 Third and Forever plays (one by a penalty).

Clock management didn’t lose the game.

Stanley dropped the TD and then Lindsey dropped the deflection. There was two chances to catch it, 0 TD. 

• Plus1 1