We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

50 minutes ago, lo country said:

How many games did we run the RexCat under Bo?  It seems like he played the whole game against someone.

Did we bring Bo back???  Cause if SF is still the coach NU runs an offense that use a QB that understands the system.  We have guys that have been training for that role for several months.  Even a guy like Cam Taylor is too far behind in the learning curve to be a factor for this season.

15 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Did we bring Bo back???  Cause if SF is still the coach NU runs an offense that use a QB that understands the system.  We have guys that have been training for that role for several months.  Even a guy like Cam Taylor is too far behind in the learning curve to be a factor for this season.

So... if Bunch gets hurt and Masker goes down what do we do? Run with 10 men for the offense and snap it to air?

• Plus1 1

All you guys whining and saying the sky is falling, what is your solution? You’re intimating that this is some failure of Scott Frost or the current regime. I want to know what could’ve/should’ve been done this year to prevent this problem. If you don’t have a good answer then all your belly aching is just a lot of noise. Or do you just want the people who are choosing to be positive and optimistic about the situation to be as miserable and complaining as you?

Follow up question; how is this year any different than the last 10 years. I don’t recall having any depth at QB for a long time.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

All you guys whining and saying the sky is falling, what is your solution? You’re intimating that this is some failure of Scott Frost or the current regime. I want to know what could’ve/should’ve been done this year to prevent this problem. If you don’t have a good answer then all your belly aching is just a lot of noise. Or do you just want the people who are choosing to be positive and optimistic about the situation to be as miserable and complaining as you?

Follow up question; how is this year any different than the last 10 years. I don’t recall having any depth at QB for a long time.

what do you want to talk about?  Two weeks ago we had two guys that looked interchangeable as the starter and now we have none.  Although I kind of like Bunch. He's steely eyed. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
44 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Huh?  It's an internet board.  Take a breath........People are talking options, worse case scenarios...We actually had two guys training for this role.  One got hurt and one quit.....Bunch's reps were limited when it became a two person race.  So yea, he's been on the team, participated in practice, but as far as  "training for" and being "ready for" might be two different things. In a recent interview Frost commented on Bunch looking better.  Bunch said because he as throwing again....IIRC this was last week after TG left....

So what's your solution?

9 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

what do you want to talk about?  Two weeks ago we had two guys that looked interchangeable as the starter and now we have none.  Although I kind of like Bunch. He's steely eyed. 

Talking about it and showing concern is one thing. IMO several posters are taking it well beyond that and just plain being alarmist and negative. When they start intimating that the QB position has been mismanaged, that is when I want to know what the solution is. Sure it’s not ideal but it is what it is. Gebbia left on his own. Riley got shown the door. I want to know what these amazing college football roster managers would’ve done to prevent it. And it seems to me it has been a long term problem dating back at least to Taylor Martinez. Seems to me it’s the result of changing offensive systems so often and also some prima Donna players who aren’t satisfied with anything less than being named the starter.

Frost signed a hell of QB his first year. Was he supposed to sign a couple more so they could also tell him to shove it when they weren’t named the starter? I just don’t get all the whining.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
49 minutes ago, lo country said:

Huh?  It's an internet board.  Take a breath........People are talking options, worse case scenarios...We actually had two guys training for this role.  One got hurt and one quit.....Bunch's reps were limited when it became a two person race.  So yea, he's been on the team, participated in practice, but as far as  "training for" and being "ready for" might be two different things. In a recent interview Frost commented on Bunch looking better.  Bunch said because he as throwing again....IIRC this was last week after TG left....

So what's your solution?

My point is we have guys that are ready to step up until AM is ready to go again.  If he is declared "OUT" for the season then i'm guessing more searching will be done for the new third string guy.  This offense requires a lot of "reps" because it is more about picking the right option then being some "great" athlete and showcasing your ability.  If AM is expected back in 3 weeks or less - then all reps need to be given to the 2 guys that are currently on the depth chart.

I’ve iterated that I think Andrew Bunch is not your average walkon and now deserves a scholarship. This thread has more to do with the nature of the iceberg league causing injuries and the need to have plenty of options.

I’m not so naive that I think Frost and Co are not addressing this very thing, I just know that many people here are more knowledgeable about the details and wondered where they might be looking.

Here’s a brain teaser...... would Pat O’ Brien have left if he knew CandyPants Gebbia would go skipping off to The Land of Make Believe one week before the first game? My gut says no, he would’ve played against Colorado.

Dont mistake this as any disatisfaction with Frost.... I am overjoyed with the effort and style of play I saw Saturday.... relieved really. I knew this would be a building and straightening year.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Talking about it and showing concern is one thing. IMO several posters are taking it well beyond that and just plain being alarmist and negative. When they start intimating that the QB position has been mismanaged, that is when I want to know what the solution is. Sure it’s not ideal but it is what it is. Gebbia left on his own. Riley got shown the door. I want to know what these amazing college football roster managers would’ve done to prevent it. And it seems to me it has been a long term problem dating back at least to Taylor Martinez. Seems to me it’s the result of changing offensive systems so often and also some prima Donna players who aren’t satisfied with anything less than being named the starter.

Frost signed a hell of QB his first year. Was he supposed to sign a couple more so they could also tell him to shove it when they weren’t named the starter? I just don’t get all the whining.

I know it.  Some fans are like blisters, but they're our blisters.  

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I’ve iterated that I think Andrew Bunch is not your average walkon and now deserves a scholarship. This thread has more to do with the nature of the iceberg league causing injuries and the need to have plenty of options.

I’m not so naive that I think Frost and Co are not addressing this very thing, I just know that many people here are more knowledgeable about the details and wondered where they might be looking.

Here’s a brain teaser...... would Pat O’ Brien have left if he knew CandyPants Gebbia would go skipping off to The Land of Make Believe one week before the first game? My gut says no, he would’ve played against Colorado.

Dont mistake this as any disatisfaction with Frost.... I am overjoyed with the effort and style of play I saw Saturday.... relieved really. I knew this would be a building and straightening year.

So few of the guys looked lost even with Frost only being on campus since December, and part of that early time was split with bowl prep.  I love, love, love that they are being taught to make mistakes going full speed..no more sitting around thinking.  I really like Bunch.  He actually looked a little insulted during his post game interview-like he thought the reporters were talking down to him or something.  I like the confidence. 

Regarding POB and from everything you've seen him do, do you think he would have been the answer?  I thought most of us came to terms that this was yet another rebuilding year and it was about instilling Frost's process, blah, blah blah.... and then everyone pissed about the QB situation, clock management, every and anything else.  Personally, Ive never wished that POB had stayed.  At least he left at an appropriate time, for him and us.   

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 9/10/2018 at 5:07 PM, krc1995 said:

So few of the guys looked lost even with Frost only being on campus since December, and part of that early time was split with bowl prep.  I love, love, love that they are being taught to make mistakes going full speed..no more sitting around thinking.  I really like Bunch.  He actually looked a little insulted during his post game interview-like he thought the reporters were talking down to him or something.  I like the confidence. 

Regarding POB and from everything you've seen him do, do you think he would have been the answer?  I thought most of us came to terms that this was yet another rebuilding year and it was about instilling Frost's process, blah, blah blah.... and then everyone pissed about the QB situation, clock management, every and anything else.  Personally, Ive never wished that POB had stayed.  At least he left at an appropriate time, for him and us.   

I think the Riley quarterbacks were average and benefited from the fan hype that comes from rabid social media. I just think it would’ve turned out different had he known Gebbia would run out. Personally, and I’ve said this for a long time, I prefer Bunch and think he would be a scholarship qb if he wanted to play somewhere else.

If we’re going to promote another qb from the ranks, I think it should be someone from the offense who already knows the playbook, with a lot of confidence, a proven leader,.... based on the effort I saw last year in games that were basically lost causes I’d go with a gamer like Stanley Morgan Jr who knows the pass plays and then have the rb’s help get him up to speed on that end of it.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:47 PM, Hayseed said:

POB was behind Bunch on the depth chart, so he would not have played against Colorado.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1