We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

deaNx9l.jpg

Thats what the layman told the Wright brothers when they said they could fly. Everything is possible. Is it easier to do it dirty? Sure. But to say its not possible is ridiculous. And frankly out of all of the possibilities out there I don't find it that unatainable

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Well we should probably remove Dantonio and MSU from that list.  Shaw is certainly a candidate, as is Patterson.  

But those programs I'd wager especially Kstate are ones that your average Nebraska fan considers "beneath us".  And their ceilings are significantly lower than what we as Nebraska probably want.  

2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

That's recruiting.  We are talking about sacrificing morals regarding running the whole team.  

For example:  Mark Dantonio is said to be a clean recruiter but then you get reports like this that say maybe the WHOLE program isn't so squeaky clean

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/01/26/report-details-pattern-misconduct-inside-michigan-state-football-basketball/1069826001/

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

That's recruiting.  We are talking about sacrificing morals regarding running the whole team.  

For example:  Mark Dantonio is said to be a clean recruiter but then you get reports like this that say maybe the WHOLE program isn't so squeaky clean

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/01/26/report-details-pattern-misconduct-inside-michigan-state-football-basketball/1069826001/

From the article 

They asked for their honest opinions on everything from NCAA rules to social issues to their peers in the profession.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

John Gagliardi doesn't get brought up enough, winning-est coach in College Football History, the downside is he only coached at DIII, though he and many others believe his main philosophies could work at higher levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gagliardi

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/People/one-on-one-college-football-coach-john-gagliardi-discusses-unconventional-methods.html

21 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

So....you know it can be done, but you admit that it maybe hasn't been done, but you think Frost has?  

Thats.....a little muddled.  

And this isn't to say that Frost has to turn into Art Briles, but I think it would be for the best if the narrative that Nebraska has to win and win "squeaky clean" went away.  And Frost probably should have done more to ensure that he would have Gebbia around this year.  Look no further then how Saban handled the Hurts/Tua situation

What I'm saying isn't muddled at all. It doesn't matter who has done what in the past. New things happen every day so its no excuse that its never been done. I don't know if it has or not, but the perception here is it hasn't. I'm saying that doesn't matter. As far as I know Frost has run clean programs. 

To be clear I don't think handling the QB situation differently would be considered dirty.

4 minutes ago, JKinney said:

John Gagliardi doesn't get brought up enough, winning-est coach in College Football History, the downside is he only coached at DIII, though he and many others believe his main philosophies could work at higher levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gagliardi

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/People/one-on-one-college-football-coach-john-gagliardi-discusses-unconventional-methods.html

I followed Gagliardi and the Johnnies when I moved to Minnesota.  He certainly left a legacy there.  Guy is as legit as they come.  

I suppose me saying "NO COACH EVER....." was more hyperbole.  I was more thinking within the P5 model.

But +1 for bringing up the Johnnies!  Too bad one of my kids won't have an opportunity to possibly play for JG.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

What I'm saying isn't muddled at all. It doesn't matter who has done what in the past. New things happen every day so its no excuse that its never been done. I don't know if it has or not, but the perception here is it hasn't. I'm saying that doesn't matter. As far as I know Frost has run clean programs. 

To be clear I don't think handling the QB situation differently would be considered dirty.

I think the conversation morphed a bit beyond the scope of my original comment about sacrificing morals.  I don't think Frost is or will be a dirty coach.  I'll just put that out there now.

The post I commented on was that Enhance didn't think Frost would hold the starters name under wraps like Saban did due to his morals.  I think if that is a moral of Frost, it's a noble one but something along those lines will have to be sacrificed once in a while for the good of the team if he wants to win championships.

This doesn't imply he needs to be a dirty coach to achieve greatness.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don’t think Frost is “dirty” but respectfully he’s only ran two programs. Neither at the p5 level. And the team he was OC for has tons of fishy behavior to their name

I think the ultimate point is Frost is going to have to tweak what he does to thrive in the Big Ten. I bet even Frost knows that considering he’s not an idiot. And we’ve seen our fill of coaches here who think they don’t have to change their scheme/system/patterns to succeed. I know I have. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

I don’t think Frost is “dirty” but respectfully he’s only ran two programs. Neither at the p5 level. And the team he was OC for has tons of fishy behavior to their name

I think the ultimate point is Frost is going to have to tweak what he does to thrive in the Big Ten. I bet even Frost knows that considering he’s not an idiot. And we’ve seen our fill of coaches here who think they don’t have to change their scheme/system/patterns to succeed. I know I have. 

Respectfully changing scheme/system/patterns isn't at all what I am referring to. Adaptation is necessary but compromising your morals to win is not is the premise of my argument.

And this thread isn’t about Andrew Bunch either... it’s about what our options are if Martinez and Bunch can’t play. No disrespect to Masker who broke all of Frost’s record and might be the second coming of Brett Favre for all I know, but I don’t think they ever intended to run the freshman walkon out there in the second game of the season, although it’s starting to look like that might happen.

I was just making ordinary message board conversation about who else might be an option given the circumstances.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think the conversation morphed a bit beyond the scope of my original comment about sacrificing morals.  I don't think Frost is or will be a dirty coach.  I'll just put that out there now.

The post I commented on was that Enhance didn't think Frost would hold the starters name under wraps like Saban did due to his morals.  I think if that is a moral of Frost, it's a noble one but something along those lines will have to be sacrificed once in a while for the good of the team if he wants to win championships.

This doesn't imply he needs to be a dirty coach to achieve greatness.

I don't necessarily agree but I see what you are saying. We will see how it plays out this year. It's funny though because people who are saying good riddance to Gebbia now would have been praising Frost for keeping him around if he had played it like Saban is playing his situation.