We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

3 hours ago, lo country said:

Beau Davis.  he was never the same after Cally threw him in that game....

2 hours ago, skersfan said:

He was never the same 

I’ve never understood this. Like we were down 25 points with 2 minutes left in the 3rd when he got in. It’s not like he was thrown to the lions. He was a bad QB who played on a bad team with a bad coach.

13 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm genuinely curious what you have seen from Andrew Bunch to make you think he is better than the average walk on QB.  Other than he played one year of JUCO.

And I'm not saying you're wrong.  I just don't know what people have seen that I haven't to come to this conclusion.

I think what most of us are saying is: 1) Frost and Verduzco think Bunch is capable*, so 2) let's give Bunch a legit chance to showcase his abilities before we write him off.

*Could be "coach speak" sure, but I would bet that if Bunch wasn't at least capable he would have been shown the door after spring practice.

10 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I’ve never understood this. Like we were down 25 points with 2 minutes left in the 3rd when he got in. It’s not like he was thrown to the lions. He was a bad QB who played on a bad team with a bad coach.

With 2:24 remaining in the third quarter, Callahan replaced Dailey with true freshman Beau Davis. In seven possessions, the 6-foot-4, 168-pound Davis tossed four interceptions and lost a fumble. He was 1-of-8 passing overall.

They beat him like a drum......Seven possessions and he turned the ball over five times......

My view on Bunch has been he's just not the same caliber of player as AM or even TG for that matter. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with saying this. There's a reason he was designated third string within the first 7-10 fall practices. But, that doesn't mean he can't perform well enough to get a win today. In fact, he did look OK during his limited time last week. He didn't get enough help from some of his teammates and you could tell there were a couple of over-excitable throws he had late there.

10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

My view on Bunch has been he's just not the same caliber of player as AM or even TG for that matter. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with saying this. There's a reason he was designated third string within the first 7-10 fall practices. But, that doesn't mean he can't perform well enough to get a win today. In fact, he did look OK during his limited time last week. He didn't get enough help from some of his teammates and you could tell there were a couple of over-excitable throws he had late there.

This^.  Just because a guy isn't the starter doesn't mean he's a horrific player.  With there being 4-5 QB guys in spring camp, reps were probably distributed more equally than fall camp.  I am ASSuming that the natural talent of AM and TG pulled them to the front of the pack.  The fall camp rolls around and reps are limited with AM and TG getting more coaching and reps.  The natural talent gap and more coaching separates the starters more.  

With more focused attention on Bunch ie more reps, more coaching, working with the 1's and 2's, I am again ASSuming that he will be a much more polished product when/if he plays today.  Last week, the drop hurt peoples opinion of his performance as did the arm punt throws to the end zone (I blame those on adrenaline and first game jitters).  I think he will be much more serviceable than predicted.  He needs to let the system work and get the ball to the playmakers.  He isn't the obvious threat AM is with his legs, but in Frost's O, the scheme does open it up to help.  

I know we're still in the honeymoon period with Frost but I think he has handled the quarterback position rather poorly since taking over. It blows my mind that they waited so long to name a starter and then were left with basically nothing (aside from Martinez) when Gebbia transferred. They easily could have found another quarterback during the spring or summer.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

I know we're still in the honeymoon period with Frost but I think he has handled the quarterback position rather poorly since taking over. It blows my mind that they waited so long to name a starter and then were left with basically nothing (aside from Martinez) when Gebbia transferred. They easily could have found another quarterback during the spring or summer.

The primary thing he could have done was say both would play the first couple games and that would have likely meant Gebbia didnt transfer before some schools started the new semester.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

So, Frost was supposed to name a starter after the spring, even though he had seen the QB's for 15 practices over the Spring?

No doubt Gebbia leaving was a big factor.  I wish he would have stuck it out.  He would have been in 2 games already and if he wins them is already a Husker favorite.  Hindsight tells me Frost should have pulled a Saban to keep both QB's in the fold.  But this is Nebraska, seems like we always have to do it the hard way.  

I think its too early to dump on Bunch.  Its really his first game in college against a good team.  The whole team shows signs of inexperience.  The team has a lot of young players, all new coaches and new offense /defense schemes- not to mention a new head coach.  Things will be flaky but by mid season we should  see improvements and the team start to geol. 

Without big improvements, we may be heading for 4 and 7 season.   We have way too many turnovers, penalties at the wrong time/critical times, starters being ejected, and some inconsistencies reacting to defenses, #67 finishing too many plays standing on his feet, etc.  In many ways, the Colorado and Troy losses were same story- we played good teams and we killed our chances through our mistakes and inexperience. 

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Really?  So Frost should just name a starter in the spring so the other guy can just go ahead and transfer.  Then he can start adding these other quarterbacks to the roster who are so easily found in the offseason.  The current quarterback situation is 90% on Gebbia.  He chose to quit on his team 5 days before the first game because it was always about him and not the team.  He basically took up half the fall camp reps that otherwise could have gone to Bunch for nothing.  I guarentee you if the coaches had any inkling that Gebbia was going to grab his ball and run home if he wasn't the starter, he would have been shown the road a long time ago.   I'm surprised more people don't seen to be too upset about Gebbia leaving.  Don't give me this "he's only a college kid" or "just trying to pursue his hopes and dreams" BS.  This is big time football with high stakes.

28 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So, Frost was supposed to name a starter after the spring, even though he had seen the QB's for 15 practices over the Spring?

When did I say that? Frost knows this offense works better with a running quarterback, there's a reason he went with a true freshman who has had injury problems and hasn't played in two years. I'm not sure why they didn't go after a transfer who was a better fit when they had the chance to, it doesn't make a lot of sense.