We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

2 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

When did I say that? Frost knows this offense works better with a running quarterback, there's a reason he went with a true freshman who has had injury problems and hasn't played in two years. I'm not sure why they didn't go after a transfer who was a better fit when they had the chance to, it doesn't make a lot of sense. 

I wasn’t sure what point you were trying to make. 

18 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Really?  So Frost should just name a starter in the spring so the other guy can just go ahead and transfer.  Then he can start adding these other quarterbacks to the roster who are so easily found in the offseason.  The current quarterback situation is 90% on Gebbia.  He chose to quit on his team 5 days before the first game because it was always about him and not the team.  He basically took up half the fall camp reps that otherwise could have gone to Bunch for nothing.  I guarentee you if the coaches had any inkling that Gebbia was going to grab his ball and run home if he wasn't the starter, he would have been shown the road a long time ago.   I'm surprised more people don't seen to be too upset about Gebbia leaving.  Don't give me this "he's only a college kid" or "just trying to pursue his hopes and dreams" BS.  This is big time football with high stakes.

I'm not saying Frost should've done it in Spring but he could've left himself more than a week. Gebbia did what many college football players do, he transferred, it may have been selfish but I don't blame him. Martinez is going to keep improving and Gebbia is never going to be able to run like that, why should Gebbia have stayed then? The deck was stacked against him. This situation is on Frost for handling it poorly,  quarterbacks transferring is always a possibility in today's game, don't leave yourself with no time to fix it. 

9 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

I'm not saying Frost should've done it in Spring but he could've left himself more than a week. Gebbia did what many college football players do, he transferred, it may have been selfish but I don't blame him. Martinez is going to keep improving and Gebbia is never going to be able to run like that, why should Gebbia have stayed then? The deck was stacked against him. This situation is on Frost for handling it poorly,  quarterbacks transferring is always a possibility in today's game, don't leave yourself with no time to fix it. 

A few questions. Where exactly is Frost supposed to easily find a quarterback in the spring or summer  as you suggested earlier?  You think it’s acceptable to quit on your teammates the week before the season because you aren’t the day one starter?  You actually think that Gebbia has no blame for our quarterback situation?  I’m trying to figure out if I’m completely off base or if you’re Gebbia’s Dad or just a Frost hater, etc.  

I didn't expect much from this transition year and so far it's working out as expected. Gebbia bailed on us right before the season started and put us in a bad spot. They'll have to take loyalty into consideration from now on when recruiting. I still like watching the games though and look forward to the next one. I thought Bunch had a rough start but started putting it together in the second half.....hopefully we'll limit the mistakes from now on. It sounded in the postgame like he had a good grasp of the problems they encountered and I think they know they ALL have things to work on.

5 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

A few questions. Where exactly is Frost supposed to easily find a quarterback in the spring or summer  as you suggested earlier?  You think it’s acceptable to quit on your teammates the week before the season because you aren’t the day one starter?  You actually think that Gebbia has no blame for our quarterback situation?  I’m trying to figure out if I’m completely off base or if you’re Gebbia’s Dad or just a Frost hater, etc.  

MonsterQuarterback.com

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Really?  So Frost should just name a starter in the spring so the other guy can just go ahead and transfer.  Then he can start adding these other quarterbacks to the roster who are so easily found in the offseason.  The current quarterback situation is 90% on Gebbia.  He chose to quit on his team 5 days before the first game because it was always about him and not the team.  He basically took up half the fall camp reps that otherwise could have gone to Bunch for nothing.  I guarentee you if the coaches had any inkling that Gebbia was going to grab his ball and run home if he wasn't the starter, he would have been shown the road a long time ago.   I'm surprised more people don't seen to be too upset about Gebbia leaving.  Don't give me this "he's only a college kid" or "just trying to pursue his hopes and dreams" BS.  This is big time football with high stakes.

High stakes?  Take a breath.  This is a game played by school  kids.  It's entertainment.  Nothing more.  As for Gebbia, it's his life and he doesn't owe anybody anything.    

11 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

They could've gone after Burrow. It's not exactly like it's impossible to find a mobile grad transfer or JUCO during the offseason, it could have been done. Also, I never said Gebbia has no blame for the current quarterback situation, I'm saying Frost deserves most of the blame. It's really not that complicated and criticizing Frost doesn't make you a hater. 

1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

They could've gone after Burrow. It's not exactly like it's impossible to find a mobile grad transfer or JUCO during the offseason, it could have been done. Also, I never said Gebbia has no blame for the current quarterback situation, I'm saying Frost deserves most of the blame. It's really not that complicated and criticizing Frost doesn't make you a hater. 

If Burrow came here and got a knee injury, who would the backup be?

Martinez? If they had named Gebbia the starter, Martinez would almost certainly still be here. Gebbia had already burned his redshirt and was not an ideal fit for the system, I wasn't surprised at all that he transferred. If Burrow came here and started, Martinez still could've been a starter for three years, in a system perfectly suited for him.

11 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Martinez? If they had named Gebbia the starter, Martinez would almost certainly still be here. Gebbia had already burned his redshirt and was not an ideal fit for the system, I wasn't surprised at all that he transferred. If Burrow came here and started, Martinez still could've been a starter for three years, in a system perfectly suited for him.

Did he give any indication that he wanted to come here?
Edit- I'm reading an article about Burrow and wondering why Pelini has anything to do with it?
2nd Edit- I'm willing to blame Pelini though.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

You stated you didn't blame Gebbia for transferring ("...Gebbia did what many college football players do, he transferred, it may have been selfish but I don't blame him...")  I guess I took that as you don't think he has any blame and were putting it all on Frost.  I went a little overboard by suggesting you may be a Frost hater.  My bad.  Nothing wrong with giving him criticism.  Burrow would have been a good backup, but I would imagine Burrow was only coming here if he was going to be the starter.   Just me guessing on that.  Basically I see Gebbia as screwing this team over at a bad time and he's getting a pass for it.  He should have just left in the spring so the coaches could have then looked for another option at that time.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1