I think I figured out why yesterday's game bothered me so much...

Cdog923

51 minutes ago, brophog said:

I thought the second half was flat, too. It's as if all the energy was expended overcoming that deficit. But they did, and as much as we can talk about turnovers and spotting them 14, at halftime that's a new ballgame. You don't need to win the game at that point, just that half. From that perspective, not capitalizing on so many chances to put this game away is what lost it. That's a typical first year way of losing. 

Yeah, I totally agree about the second half.  It was like they kept expecting something bad to happen.  They had the game won about 3 times but just couldn't close it out.

I love Frost and this team as much as the next person, but the OP has a point, a whole lotta moral victories coming from a lot of places.

The first 8 minutes of the game and the last quarter of the game was bad football. A lot of factors contribute to the loss; cancelled first game, injured qb, young team and new scheme, etc.

I was as pissed last night as any other loss because they gave the game away, but in all the negative takeaways, I still see a lot of potential when things start clicking. GBR

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Just because you believe something, doesn’t mean there is a big difference in an analogy.

Mmmmmm...no....because Bo never addressed any issue directly.  Instead he'd throw his players under the bus and say they "...just didn't execute."  It never occurred to him that maybe his approach or "system" might be the ultimate source of the problem.  For example, how in his defensive system seemingly nobody could ever set, or maintain, the edge.  That's why Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and practically every team we played could run the ball to the outside/use outside zone and kill us with it.  It happens one game, okay fine, that is football.  When it happens in nearly every game, it ceases to be a bad day and becomes an inherent schematic flaw.  And Pelini never fixed the flaw, he just blamed his players.

The big difference is, I don't believe we will ever hear Coach Frost blame his players--unlike some coaches we've had.

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The biggest difference is this staff has shown they can take a team that was 0-12 and go 13-0 in the span of two seasons.

We haven't had a coach since Osborne that I thought could do that.

I wasn't that excited for this season and I'm not that disappointed in how it's gone so far.  I'm waiting until next year and the year after to really judge what this staff is capable of.

Osborne didn't need to.

The only coach in modern history take a team with losing record the previous year to a winning record in his first season was Pelini.

Let's hope Frost is #2.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Mmmmmm...no....because Bo never addressed any issue directly.  Instead he'd throw his players under the bus and say they "...just didn't execute."  It never occurred to him that maybe his approach or "system" might be the ultimate source of the problem.  For example, how in his defensive system seemingly nobody could ever set, or maintain, the edge.  That's why Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and practically every team we played could run the ball to the outside/use outside zone and kill us with it.  It happens one game, okay fine, that is football.  When it happens in nearly every game, it ceases to be a bad day and becomes an inherent schematic flaw.  And Pelini never fixed the flaw, he just blamed his players.

The big difference is, I don't believe we will ever hear Coach Frost blame his players--unlike some coaches we've had.

I both agree and disagree here. Bo wasn’t a great communicator but he and Frost both blamed execution. Frost was much clearer and focused. The interception was Martinez making the wrong read and he said they’d work on that. We never heard that from Bo.  

It’s clear Frost knows what it takes to fix these problems, which was something Bo lacked. I think that’s the biggest difference, when it comes to addressing these issues. That will turn losses like this into wins and get us past what Bo was able to accompish. 

Edited by Branno
Removed wrong quote.
  • Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

If you listened to literally any coach after a loss, you're more often than not going to hear "We didn't execute".

But by all means continue......

• Plus1 1

I'm really kind of stunned by the volume of posters upset about the game. It was disappointing to lose like that...turnovers, penalties, key injury at the end...but come on.

Game 1. The other side already had a game under their belts to knock off the rust and a veteran offense. That line is filled with seniors that may have several pro players. 

We are implimenting a new offense and defense, the players need to learn each other's tendencies and the vets need to undo a lot of things from the old staff.

I thought the mentality of the players was solid. Mistakes are expected as they learn to trust their roles in the system. The defense played good against a good offense. Seven sacks is a huge improvement. Martinez looked poised in the pocket. I thought he must be a sensational 18 year old...until bunch came in with poise as well. Frost's confidence is spreading. I'm excited to see these kids learn how good they can be. 

Clean up the penalties...first start by getting your punt returners to stop crossing field away from their blockers creating illegal blocks...learn to stay tough all 4 quarters...we should've been able to wear them down by the 4th except the offense rarely saw the ball...just keep playing hard. 

I will say it's disappointing not having an under center qb sneak for 4th and 1 though... ;)

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, TheSker said:

If you listened to literally any coach after a loss, you're more often than not going to hear "We didn't execute".

But by all means continue......

"We didn't execute..." works as an explantion in one game, once in a while.  I get it, some days things are just bad and stuff happens.

But when we start seeing the exact same issues, every single game, it ceases to be an issue of execution and becomes an inherent systemic weakness.  

But by all means, continue...

Osborne was knocked for being too conservative in the second half of football games.  Frost is aggressive and gets knocked when it backfires.  Don't worry, I understand the difference between a top-10 Oklahoma team in the 70s and a relatively unknown CU squad this year (will they resemble their 2016 or 2017 iteration, or something else entirely?)  But just saying: comparisons are pointless exercises in futility.  Nothing we can do but STRAP IN AND FEEL THE Gs.

jYRTFOo-uANBP_JtZsnCSMJdvGIMUAKEX9tnDNhg

The amount of overreactions to an opening game loss for a new coach across Husker Nation is crazy to me. I honestly thought people were going to give frost a longer runway to get going but I don't know anymore. The negative comparisons and posts are just crazy to me. I'm not making any judgements based on this game it's way way way way too early.