I think I figured out why yesterday's game bothered me so much...

Cdog923

5 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The amount of overreactions to an opening game loss for a new coach across Husker Nation is crazy to me. I honestly thought people were going to give frost a longer runway to get going but I don't know anymore. The negative comparisons and posts are just crazy to me. I'm not making any judgements based on this game it's way way way way too early. 

Message boards are kinda like social media to a certain extent in that they make up a very small overall percentage of the overall fan base/users and putting any stock into what the vocal minority of those users says is a fruitless exercise.

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The amount of overreactions to an opening game loss for a new coach across Husker Nation is crazy to me. I honestly thought people were going to give frost a longer runway to get going but I don't know anymore. The negative comparisons and posts are just crazy to me. I'm not making any judgements based on this game it's way way way way too early. 

I think it's folks (Mine included) knee jerk gut reaction.  Very few, if any actually think Frost and Co stink or screwed the pooch.  It's just frustration.  If someone thinks Frost is in the same time code as Riley, it might be a long year for them.....It's one game.....Frost and Co have got this.  Only thing that stopped us last night was us.

GBR

• Fire 1

What we saw was pretty much what we should have expected (and I don’t mean this to be in ANY way critical.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2018/04/26/scott-frost-nebraska-spring-football-no-fear-failure/551881002/

These players have been told to not fear failure and to make their mistakes at full speed. That’s what we saw yesterday. Frost has also cautioned us that this is a process. To flip the culture and see play with intensity for 60 minutes is what we wanted to see. Did anyone realistically expect perfection in Game 1?

If anyone had shown you some of the stat lines (without the score) before the game, we would have taken them i a heartbeat. Game 1 was a massive success for those who are willing to allow Frost to implement his process with his players & his strength & conditioning.

As much as we hate to lose, particularly to Colorado - and as much as we are concerned for Adrian’s knee - the future still looks bright. As Frost also said, if you want to beat us you better do it now because we are going to be a dangerous team in 2019. (Not writing off 2018... this team is FUN to watch.)

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Message boards are kinda like social media to a certain extent in that they make up a very small overall percentage of the overall fan base/users and putting any stock into what the vocal minority of those users says is a fruitless exercise.

True I probably need to spend less time on message board and social media ha. 

10 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

...it's because we've seen it before. Think of it this way: watch the game without sound, and ignore the shots to the sideline. What are you reminded of? Occasionally explosive offense? Aggressive defense? Silly mistakes by both players and staff that ultimately cost the team a game it should have won? An electric quarterback named Martinez who can't finish a game without getting hurt? It was almost the perfect encapsulation of a Bo Pelini game.

Cdog- I think you’re nothing but a troll.

3 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

What we saw was pretty much what we should have expected (and I don’t mean this to be in ANY way critical.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2018/04/26/scott-frost-nebraska-spring-football-no-fear-failure/551881002/

These players have been told to not fear failure and to make their mistakes at full speed. That’s what we saw yesterday. Frost has also cautioned us that this is a process. To flip the culture and see play with intensity for 60 minutes is what we wanted to see. Did anyone realistically expect perfection in Game 1?

If anyone had shown you some of the stat lines (without the score) before the game, we would have taken them i a heartbeat. Game 1 was a massive success for those who are willing to allow Frost to implement his process with his players & his strength & conditioning.

As much as we hate to lose, particularly to Colorado - and as much as we are concerned for Adrian’s knee - the future still looks bright. As Frost also said, if you want to beat us you better do it now because we are going to be a dangerous team in 2019. (Not writing off 2018... this team is FUN to watch.)

Here here! I am very frustrated that we lost, but there is so much promise in what we saw. We had 10 or 15 things go wrong that caused that loss. If a couple bounces or flags go our way, we blow out the buffs. We cannot continue to get so many bad breaks. Also, this was game one, much of this will be cleaned up. How many of you expected the rushing game we had today? Did you expect 7 sacks? I was worried about this game when Akron was cancelled. I did not want to face a P5 team for our first game.

I, on the other hand...Don't remember feeling this good after a loss.. Most of the Things that went wrong can be fixed before the next game (other than key injuries). I AM a little concerned with the clock management toward the end and wonder if this is going to be our plan going forward (refuse to slow it down just because we're a ''fast tempo team'').

These guys are really fun to watch again..Win or Tie.

• Plus1 1

Saturday's game did not bother me at all.  

There was no clock mismanagement by the staff.  They run a hury up offense and had to throw in a second string QB.  It would be nice in a perfect world to get that young man to look at the game clock and run off 10 extra seconds, but this was the FIRST GAME. This will obviously improve.

11 penalties, fumbles, these are the things that are typical of first game hiccups.  However as Dr. Tom said, Frost will reinstitute accountability, and so there is no free pass.  Those committing these mistakes will be held accountable, and the mistakes will not happen.  

Overall it was obvious that the team was much better coached, and conditioned, and played with much more enthusiasm and physicality. 

If anything it showed har far down the program was, that the coaches have worked so hard, and yet there is still a ways to go. 

• Plus1 2