Troy Game

Hey  Husker fans, Troy fan here coming into Lincoln for this weekends game and would like ideas of what to do on Friday, best place to visit tailgaters, parking, places to eat, sports bars, etc.  We have played there before however I wasn't able to attend so this is a going to be a great adventure!  Would just like some hints where we might have some FUN BANTER back and forth on Friday as well as a great place to go afterwards to watch the rest of the college football action (I LOVE 11:00 kicks!!!).

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Go Troy! 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

Hey Navarre, there are tons of threads on this topic and generally they’ll say Husker fans are very welcoming to visitors and to head straight downtown to The Haymarket which is walking distance to the stadium, very safe, and has a million bars and restaurants. Hope you have a great time.... I’m sure you’ll find a bunch of people to banter with as long as it’s in fun.

• Plus1 1

No clue on what you are looking for but here goes.

O Street:  Sandy's (get Elk Creek) 

Barry's, get on the rooftop and enjoy the view (and the views), 5 dollars to get in

Embassy Hotel, in back they have a big party with a band

Haymarket (Railyard) HUGE outdoor TV and you can carry your drinks around outside.

Other bars that are fun on O street or close by:  Brothers, Cliffs and The Bar.

On gameday most bars will open at 9am...Barry's might be open at 8.  There are so many people that go to the games that all the bars will have a huge mix of people and ages.  

Welcome to the board Navarre. Teach gave you a good run down of the bars. Personally I prefer the Railyard or Rock the Dock at the Embassy Suites but I don’t know much about the others. There are tons of tailgates, primarily directly west of the stadium to north of the Pinnacle Bank Arena. Also some smaller lots north of the stadium. I’m sure you’ll have a good time wandering through the tailgates. The people will generally be friendly and welcoming. Have fun.

5 hours ago, NavarreTrojan said:

Hey  Husker fans, Troy fan here coming into Lincoln for this weekends game and would like ideas of what to do on Friday, best place to visit tailgaters, parking, places to eat, sports bars, etc.  We have played there before however I wasn't able to attend so this is a going to be a great adventure!  Would just like some hints where we might have some FUN BANTER back and forth on Friday as well as a great place to go afterwards to watch the rest of the college football action (I LOVE 11:00 kicks!!!).

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Go Troy! 

As previously mentioned, (assuming you like to have an adult beverage or six) get an Elk Creek from Sandy's.

Also, Duffy's tavern makes drinks called Fish Bowls, it is literally a huge c$%ktail served in a fish bowl--hence the name.  Although word of warning: FishBowls are best enjoyed with 2-3 other people.  Wouldn't recommend drinking one by yourself. 

One of my favorite places to grub when I was in Lincoln was/is Ali Babba Gyros.  No idea if the place is still there though cause it has been awhile since I havd been in Lincoln.

The Night Before (again my reference is a decade plus) is a strip club that had, at the time, I thought the best looking ladies.

If you, or anyone you're with, is LBTGQIA, then Q's (a gay bar--assuming it is still there) might be a place you'd want to check out.  

As far as other places to eat, yeah downtown Lincoln including The Haymarket has many options.

If you're looking for steak, or prime rib, (back in the day) Misty's at 62nd & Havelock was the spot.  

22 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Assuming you've never been to Lincoln before you have to have a Runza and eat at Valentino's. They are staples. 

Also, RIP Tastee's how I miss thee! 

If you must do this, then buy them at the stadium. They are 10 times better at the stadium for whatever reason (maybe because they cook longer in the insulated carriers). Usually Val's and Runza are soggy and kinda gross at the restaurants.

Pretty much what teach said on bars. BTW it's "Elk Creek Water". And if you feel like ending your night early just drink the pitcher by yourself. Or be a good friend and share, whatever you want :lol:

Leadbelly's is a good bar and awesome place to get some excellent food if you're near the railyard. Get the Rasberry Beret, you'll thank me later.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

As previously mentioned, (assuming you like to have an adult beverage or six) get an Elk Creek from Sandy's.

Also, Duffy's tavern makes drinks called Fish Bowls, it is literally a huge c$%ktail served in a fish bowl--hence the name.  Although word of warning: FishBowls are best enjoyed with 2-3 other people.  Wouldn't recommend drinking one by yourself. 

One of my favorite places to grub when I was in Lincoln was/is Ali Babba Gyros.  No idea if the place is still there though cause it has been awhile since I havd been in Lincoln.

The Night Before (again my reference is a decade plus) is a strip club that had, at the time, I thought the best looking ladies.

If you, or anyone you're with, is LBTGQIA, then Q's (a gay bar--assuming it is still there) might be a place you'd want to check out.  

As far as other places to eat, yeah downtown Lincoln including The Haymarket has many options.

If you're looking for steak, or prime rib, (back in the day) Misty's at 62nd & Havelock was the spot.  

Also, don't accept Fishbowls from random dudes. That's how you fall asleep in the fountain on campus at 3 in the morning. 

7 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

That place burnt down a few years ago I think.

Friday before they game you should definitely hit up Misty's in Havelock. The food is great and you will find a slightly older crowd, and if you want a place for friendly football banter this would be it. Also, the band will come through the place at (I might have times slightly wrong) 6:00pm and 8:00pm. Get there early if you want a table they will be hard to come by. Enjoy your time in Lincoln! 

I think one big thing to remember and I mentioned it in my first post...the bars become open to all ages.  You really don't see a "that is just a bar for college kids" and "that is an old persons bar" on game day.  There are so many people in Lincoln in game day that you will feel welcome at all the bars.  Now, the bars will start to clear out around 10am (not all of them but some) as people head to the game...then after the game they will be packed again for about two hours...then things will start to die down.

Forgot to mention... not sure about game day availability, but for Friday night downtown Lincoln has parking garages all over where you just take a ticket and pay with a card on the way out, first hour free.

If you like Wooly Mammoths and dinosaurs, Morrill Hall is on the south side of the U street just east of the stadium.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

If you must do this, then buy them at the stadium. They are 10 times better at the stadium for whatever reason (maybe because they cook longer in the insulated carriers). Usually Val's and Runza are soggy and kinda gross at the restaurants.

Pretty much what teach said on bars. BTW it's "Elk Creek Water". And if you feel like ending your night early just drink the pitcher by yourself. Or be a good friend and share, whatever you want :lol:

Leadbelly's is a good bar and awesome place to get some excellent food if you're near the railyard. Get the Rasberry Beret, you'll thank me later.

Wife had that Akron week, I got the lead belly I think it was called. It was a burger with a cinnamon roll for a bun covered in chili etc. Holy crap was it good