Anyone Hire People In Banking/Consulting/Finance?

Figure this is rare on this board but my brother has interviews lined up with a few places as a graduating senior from UNL and would love to talk with hiring managers in banking/consulting/finance about his resume and what to expect in interviews. If anyone is willing to take 30 mins to speak with him on this topic please PM me. Thanks. 

• Plus1 1

I appreciate his resolve to thoroughly prepare for his upcoming interviews and I'm not trying to be cute but isn't UNL preparing their graduates in this regard? Serious question. My daughter just started at UNL and how well they prepare their students in this regard was a big selling point. I'm curious if that is maybe not the case or if more likely your brother is just being more proactive and is taking the bull by the horns so to speak.

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I appreciate his resolve to thoroughly prepare for his upcoming interviews and I'm not trying to be cute but isn't UNL preparing their graduates in this regard? Serious question. My daughter just started at UNL and how well they prepare their students in this regard was a big selling point. I'm curious if that is maybe not the case or if more likely your brother is just being more proactive and is taking the bull by the horns so to speak.

Man, they were horrible with that kind of stuff years ago in the teachers college.  I am sure it is much much better now.

@seaofred92

Another potential avenue you could take would be to have your brother reach out to a recruiting firm that specializes in recruiting for the verticals he's looking for and asking one of the top recruiters there for some advice.  It may only cost your brother the price of a cup of coffee or lunch (I personally would offer but that's just me) but it might give him the leg up in interviews.  On an additional note, if the recruiter you find works with lots of recent college grads it may open up an additional pipeline of jobs for your brother.

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

This is a fair point for sure.  Early in my recruiting career, I worked a lot of positions where recent college grads were highly desirable and I got the chance to talk with quite a few UNL grads.  It seemed like it was a mixed bag with how much/little career services prepared them (probably dependent on which person helped them).  The majority of the grads I spoke with had at least gotten a bit of advice but you could tell it was given from folks who hadn't been in the real business world for a long, long time (if ever.)

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think they do to a degree but my brother is looking at primarily large corporates (BB's) out of state which can be more of a unique challenge and I think he's just trying to do everything he can to be prepared. 

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

@seaofred92

Another potential avenue you could take would be to have your brother reach out to a recruiting firm that specializes in recruiting for the verticals he's looking for and asking one of the top recruiters there for some advice.  It may only cost your brother the price of a cup of coffee or lunch (I personally would offer but that's just me) but it might give him the leg up in interviews.  On an additional note, if the recruiter you find works with lots of recent college grads it may open up an additional pipeline of jobs for your brother.

tough to do when he's applying to mostly places outside of NE (NYC, CLT, Dallas) but yes I agree with the premise of what you're saying and I believe he's reached out to recruiters with varying degrees of success

22 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Figure this is rare on this board but my brother has interviews lined up with a few places as a graduating senior from UNL and would love to talk with hiring managers in banking/consulting/finance about his resume and what to expect in interviews. If anyone is willing to take 30 mins to speak with him on this topic please PM me. Thanks. 

Has he been to the career center on campus? I met with a guy when I was applying and he helped me with my resume. I thought it was really helpful and I got a job quick. Also, it's free.

What's his major?