Osborne at Big Red Breakfast

Mavric

I can't say, I was way too young to know.  The major part of my argument is that Coach Osborne evolved over time to get to where he was at in the early 80's and then to the mid 90's.  When I see Frank and Bo now, I don't believe they changed much how their programs are run.  Coach Osborne made many changes.  Coach Frost has come in and done the same.  We were the trend setter through much of the Osborne years with S&C, nutrition and facilities.  I don't think much happened under any other coach until Coach Frost came.  We have already seen changes.

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Bo may be available to coach at a power 5 again.  YSU fans not happy.  Bo lost to a team that does not give FB scholarships.

I suppose the fans are blaming Bo for the other team having an average RB running a jet sweep all over YSU defenders that weren’t  executing.  They’ll be sorry when Bo leaves!  ;)

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JKinney said:

1974 Osborne played 3 ranked teams... #13 Kansas (finished 4-7), #1 Oklahoma (undefeated), #18 Florida (finished 8-4)

1999 Solich played 5 ranked teams...#18 Texas (finished 9-5), #21 Texas A&M (finished 8-4), #5 K-State (finished 12-1), #12 Texas (2nd time finished 9-5), #6 Tennessee (finished 9-3)

2009 Pelini played 5 ranked teams...#13 VTech (finished 10-3), #24 Missouri (finished 8-5), #20 Oklahoma (finished 8-5), #3 Texas (finished 13-1), #22 Arizona (finished 8-5)

This is the 2nd year, I think they look fairly comparable if you go over their whole body of work.  You are entitled to your opinion, and I was certainly not alive to judge the caliber of teams Osborne played in the 70s for myself.

Frank took the greatest football program in the country to .500 ball in 5 years.

The equivalent in todays game would be Alabama winning the championship this season and having Saban retire.

If the guy that took over for Saban went from where they are now to a .500 record in 5 years he'd be labeled one of the worst coaches in history.

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

The records may be similar but the caliber of teams they were beating are not.  In year one alone, Osborne beat #10 UCLA, #14 NCST, #18 KU, #17 CU and #8 TX.  Solich and Pelini were never going to come close to reaching that trajectory.  They beat a buncha patsies and lost to most teams with a pulse.

The year after Bo got fired, that team had the potential at QB, Dline, WR, CB, PK to win the BIG10.  I will stand by that for the rest of my life.  That team was going to be good, and had the possibility to be great.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

Frank and Bo were not in the same realm as Coach Osborne.  Should he have gotten more time, sure, but results for both Bo and Frank away from Nebraska have been average at best.  They are both at schools now with medium expectations and are good fits.  Coach Osborne evolved.  I don't think Frank and Bo are capable of changing.

What Frank has done at Ohio is pretty good, you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

The year after Bo got fired, that team had the potential at QB, Dline, WR, CB, PK to win the BIG10.  I will stand by that for the rest of my life.  That team was going to be good, and had the possibility to be great.

Most of Bo's teams had the potential to be conference champs. Came up short every time. A terrible coach does not win 9 games every year, but it always seemed that he underachieved his way to those 9 wins, and he was a raging douche besides. Of course, Bo's next team had the potential to be good, but he didn't deserve to stay any longer than he did. We just hired the wrong guy to replace him.

8 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Frank took the greatest football program in the country to .500 ball in 5 years.

The equivalent in todays game would be Alabama winning the championship this season and having Saban retire.

If the guy that took over for Saban went from where they are now to a .500 record in 5 years he'd be labeled one of the worst coaches in history.

By your logic Osborne took a team that won back to back National Championships a year prior and mired them in mediocrity for a decade.  If the guy that took over for Saban played in a National Championship and won multiple conference titles in those 4 years before his one .500 season, I would hardly call him one of the worst coaches in history, just obviously not as good as Saban (one of the greatest coaches in history).  Just my opinion.

11 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

The year after Bo got fired, that team had the potential at QB, Dline, WR, CB, PK to win the BIG10.

2015 was an interesting year, schedule-wise, because the only teams we played from the East were Michigan State and Rutgers. Also, Wisconsin probably had its worst team of the past five seasons.

So schedule-wise it was about as good a year as any for Bo to have finally broken the conference title drought.

Michigan State bested Ohio State to get to Indy. Bo had matched up well against Michigan State.

It would have been cool to have finally broken the conference title drought that year, but I wouldn't trade any of those hypotheticals for bringing Frost in this season. And that's why discussing Bo at this point seems so especially pointless.

• Plus1 1

The real proof is what a coach does with their own players, not the players they inherited.

Osborne's year 5-6 record was 18-6, a .750 win percentage. He never lost more than three games in those first six years.

Frank's year 5-6 record was 17-10, a .635 win percentage. That's the worst two-year win percentage at Nebraska in over 30 years (Devaney went .600 in 67 & 68).

Bo's year 5-6 record was 19-8, a .703 win percentage. Bo never lost fewer than four games. 

If we really want to get into the problem with Pelini, we should talk about margins of loss. As much as people complained about Cosgrove, Bo's defenses just collapsed over and over.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

2015 was an interesting year, schedule-wise, because the only teams we played from the East were Michigan State and Rutgers. Also, Wisconsin probably had its worst team of the past five seasons.

So schedule-wise it was about as good a year as any for Bo to have finally broken the conference title drought.

Michigan State bested Ohio State to get to Indy. Bo had matched up well against Michigan State.

It would have been cool to have finally broken the conference title drought that year, but I wouldn't trade any of those hypotheticals for bringing Frost in this season. And that's why discussing Bo at this point seems so especially pointless.

Thats some good level-headed analysis.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I simply think it's fun to talk about comparing different players, coaches, etc.  If there is any 'point'  to these conversations at all, it is that maybe we should learn a little more fan patience for those coaches who seem on the cusp of winning, i.e. we should have more patience with Scott Frost if he doesn't necessarily set the world on fire right away. Just my two cents, I've made about all the points I can, and I have listened to some honest criticism as well.

3 minutes ago, JKinney said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I simply think it's fun to talk about comparing different players, coaches, etc.

Oh, for sure. It's fun for me, too.

I didn't mean that it's pointless to even talk about Bo in general. What I meant by "pointless" specifically is that if Bo had won a conference title in 2015, for example, he might have been given some leeway to stay on longer than he did. But when I compare what I believe to be his ceiling and Frost's ceiling, my opinion is that Frost's ceiling is much higher.

So for that reason, Bo's success during that stretch might have actually not allowed Frost to come in. And since I don't believe Bo would have ever been capable of winning a National Championship (whereas I believe Frost is), I'm glad things played out the way they did.

• Plus1 1

Anyway...

It's fun to hear Dr. Tom's analysis of the offensive line and the defense's intensity.

I wasn't worried about our offensive line at all headed into this season. But I was very worried about both defensive scheme and defensive effort. Our game against Colorado pretty much eradicated those concerns for me. The way our linebackers are being used by Chinander and the way they played in that game should give this team a chance to win some games we weren't expected to win coming into the season.