What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

I've learned:

With good coaching you're supposed to play better after your tuneup game and clean up all the first game mistakes.  We doubled down on first game mistake in game two.  Thank goodness we didn't start with two road games.

The O-line has regressed from last season

I don't understand or like our play calling and personnel decisions, but opposing teams do.

I'm calling BS on all the big talk in the off season on the intensity of the new conditioning regiment.  In two games in not stretch of the imagination have we looked like the better conditioned team in the 4th quarter.

Lastly I learned I should probably not post immediately following a loss especially at home to Troy. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, blinky said:

That’s what we said when Riley was hired. “Until the toxic culture is gone, we won’t be very good.”

The difference is Riley took over a winning program and made it kaka.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, irafreak said:

Mad is fine. Plenty of posters that are unreasonable. I wonder if they hold themselves to impossible standards. Losing to Troy is frustrating but not completely unexpected. This team was awful last year and troy is a solid team.

Way too many of our fans do not realize that we are now a little fish in a big pond. Proof? Troy was just as athletic as we were, and they flat beat us - at our house.

• Plus1 1

Just now, HuskerInLostWages said:

This is true, but Riley was a loser, he's always been a loser and didn't care if we won or not.  I don't buy that Frost will accept kids accepting losing.

I agree, but we can’t allow excuses like this to permeate what should be a culture of winning. Rebuild or not, that effort and attitude needs to be seen by the players on the field. Not just in press conference answers. 

Very self destructive team.

21 penalties in 2 games, loads of sacks and turn overs. QB needs better protection.

Need Martinez back.

Defense is actually pretty good, only 2 scores came from their offense. still aggressive so they will allow some big plays.

They are the bright spot. Offense might have been also with the better QB.

Really though, what a complete bummer that game was, did not expect this at all.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

This is true, but Riley was a loser, he's always been a loser and didn't care if we won or not.  I don't buy that Frost will accept kids accepting losing.

I don't either.  Today I saw kids accustomed to losing.  Kids who are "excepting of" if not "expecting to".  It's been like this for years even under Pelini.  The one gut punch, kick in the junk that the team can't/won't overcome.  It's gonna take years to unmuck that proraming...... 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, blinky said:

We are:

1. Slow as a team

2. Undisciplined as a team

3. Still lacking offensive creativity

4. Not really the attacking defense we’re said to be

5. Not capable of generating turnovers

6. Going to be disappointed a lot this year

Agree with all but 4. 1 is maybe. We are attacking. We blitz more than sit back in soft zones keeping everything in front of us....hence the big plays given up. Results don't show a successful attacking defense necessarily but it is the philosophy we are practicing.