What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

7 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I've learned:

With good coaching you're supposed to play better after your tuneup game and clean up all the first game mistakes.  We doubled down on first game mistake in game two.  Thank goodness we didn't start with two road games.

The O-line has regressed from last season

I don't understand or like our play calling and personnel decisions, but opposing teams do.

I'm calling BS on all the big talk in the off season on the intensity of the new conditioning regiment.  In two games in not stretch of the imagination have we looked like the better conditioned team in the 4th quarter.

Lastly I learned I should probably not post immediately following a loss especially at home to Troy. 

Stop believing the offseason hype.  You'll live longer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

What would you do differently? 

I thought about this all game. I would have shot Spielman & Lindsey across the middle for short slants into the middle when the outside blitz was evident.

Would have ran jet sweeps.

And I would have pitched the ball outside to Washington more.

Honestly I was almost shocked we even scored that last touchdown. Our red zone offense was made out to look like s*** because we just couldn't take advantage of the way they were stacking the box. That leaves me really frustrated. I'm not frustrated with Bunch and I seriously hope that this board doesn't harp on him one bit.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm still very positive despite the 0-2 start. I like where things are going. Knew the turnaround couldn't be instant. Played a walk on at QB and frankly he looked like a walk on today. Credit to Troy.

Defense isn't great but much improved imo. Some mistakes are still there but guys are playing hard. 

Our kicking game is horrendous. If there is one thing Frost needs to pay more attention to it's that imo. He seems to consider it a necessary evil. Special teams is killing us right now.

LSU rebounded after the Troy loss last year and salvaged their season. Hopefully we can do the same. Hopefully Martinez can get and stay healthy.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Undone said:

I thought about this all game. I would have shot Spielman & Lindsey across the middle for short slants into the middle when the outside blitz was evident.

Honestly I was almost shocked we even scored that last touchdown. Our red zone offense was made out to look like s*** because we just couldn't take advantage of the way they were stacking the box. That leaves me really frustrated. I'm not frustrated with Bunch and I seriously hope that this board doesn't harp on him one bit.

I don't know if Bunch asked Frost to run rollout a lot, but those were awful. 

Our redzone offense has been awful because our offensive line is awful. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Same but I also would of put Scott Frost in the game in Bunch's jersey. 

Well a lot of mistakes.  Penalties, interceptions, guys being out of place defensively.  Special teams gaffes - Giving up the 58 yard punt return, a missed field goal.  Nebraska has to quit shooting themselves in the foot.  The Trojans really aren't a team to sleep on either.  They were 11-2 last year.  They beat LSU at their house.

A lot of kinks to iron out.  For me I'm fine.  These games are fun to watch again. I like our linebackers (when their not out of position) and I like our running backs too.  We had 3 sacks this game so our QB pressure is vastly improved even after 2 games.  Chinander and co have some things to fix but they are things that are fixable.  

These are mostly Riley's guys also.  Patience.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Also what more do you want from Frost with Bunch? 18-25(72%) with 177 yards 2 TDs 1 INT before the final drive. Thats getting Bunch some easy completions. 

It's a fair question. I'm not an offensive guru. Frost is considered one. I expected to see creative ways to get his weapons involved more. He did not. Which surprised me.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't know if Bunch asked Frost to run rollout a lot, but those were awful. 

Our redzone offense has been awful because our offensive line is awful. 

After three quarters of watching it be awful, the coaching staff needs to do something differently.

I'm not saying that I would have passed when we ran on 3rd & 2 or anything ridiculous like that. I just probably would have worked the ball to the outside quickly more around the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Dedrick Young missed two tackles that just killed us in the fourth quarter. That was also really, really tough to watch.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

#3 uh, no. You want a third string QB to pitch the ball? That takes a lot of timing and reps. Bunch has neither of those.

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well a lot of mistakes.  Penalties, interceptions, guys being out of place defensively.  Special teams gaffes - Giving up the 58 yard punt return, a missed field goal.  Nebraska has to quit shooting themselves in the foot.  The Trojans really aren't a team to sleep on either.  They were 11-2 last year.  They beat LSU at their house.

A lot of kinks to iron out.  For me I'm fine.  These games are fun to watch again. I like our linebackers (when their not out of position) and I like our running backs too.  We had 3 sacks this game so our QB pressure is vastly improved even after 2 games.  Chinander and co have some things to fix but they are things that are fixable.  

These are mostly Riley's guys also.  Patience.  

Last week was fun to watch. This game was absolute torture.