What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

19 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

How many WR screens does Frost need to call to help bunch out? At some point he needs to complete a pass 10+ yards downfield. Any time we ran downfield routes Bunch looked lost, rolled out of the pocket and threw an incomplete pass. 

I guess my issue is that troy stacked the box to stop the run. Bunch should have had drawn up plays with guys running open from time to time...I'm sure he missed some but with a week to add some wrinkles tailored to his strengths, I didn't see any. Maybe bunch has no strengths. Lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm still behind Frost. Just surprised the offense just looked like a watered doem version of last week...whice makes me think Martinez is expected to be a full go next week and beyond.

1 minute ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

One of the main things that confused me was the play calling after the muffed punt. We ran on 1st and 2nd down and then made Bunch try to make an across the field fade throw. I just didn’t understand it. Throughout the game we just struggled to grab any momentum.

Agree with this, Frost has been really conservative in the redzone and on 3rd downs this year.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, irafreak said:

That the defense is going to be ok. They give up a big play here and there but that's what happens with attacking defenses.

Extremely disappointed in Frost and the offense. Nothing put in place to help a 3rd string qb. He tried to lean on the line and tailbacks but where was the change in game plan for his qb? Same offense from last week only simplified with the qb runs stripped from it. I expect more from an offensive genius. 

Special teams still ugly. Penalties and turnovers not improved from week 1.

Sucks to be 0 and 2 for the first time since the 50s. We desperately need a playmaker qb. Frost's offense is junk without one. Troy has a solid defense though. I shudder to think what michigan's will do next week.

They did nothing to help Bunch...…..I don't mean just the coaches, the rest of the offense was lame. Do the running backs know where they're going? 

6 minutes ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

One of the main things that confused me was the play calling after the muffed punt. We ran on 1st and 2nd down and then made Bunch try to make an across the field fade throw. I just didn’t understand it. Throughout the game we just struggled to grab any momentum.

The OC struggled mightily....partly because the running game was so inept.

As frustrating as it was to lose...

1. It would have been a ton worse with last years group coaching..

2. A Non Scholly QB turns the ball over.. Shocking.. He Still wasn't terrible there's a reason he's not on scholarship

3.  Mis-alignments by LB's were costly.. Still enjoy a Defense flying around

4. Special Teams Ouch.  They flipped the field so much in the punting game.

5. Clean up the penalties which I think all are fixable and the results will come.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I wouldn’t say I have the best eyes but I saw a bunch that he missed. You could say the line wasn’t doing it’s job but Bunch clearly was getting flustered and taking his eyes off of his WRs. 

Except the majority of the game should've been running for first downs with real running plays and not that stupid zone read garbage....lead by Ozigbo.

7 minutes ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

I didn't understand the 1st and 10 from our own 9 or 10 and they toss it back to ?, five yards behind the line of scrimmage and he gets stuffed and it was almost a safety. 

• Plus1 1