What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

We are terrible at ball security. Some people thought Martinez looked great in this preseason video, but I was scared because of the way he was flailing his arm around when he was carrying the ball. And I noticed the same thing from our guys today (Bell IIRC) - just waving the ball all around as they're carrying it. What's really scary is that you can't blame Riley for either of them, they're both Frost guys.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Except the majority of the game should've been running for first downs with real running plays and not that stupid zone read garbage....lead by Ozigbo.

Zone Read isn't much different than the belly option we used to run. Frost led the nation on offense last year using it so I don't think it's complete garbage... 

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I didn't understand the 1st and 10 from our own 9 or 10 and they toss it back to ?, five yards behind the line of scrimmage and he gets stuffed and it was almost a safety. 

I think it was Bell, but I could be wrong. Just all around too conservative. And I get it was a walk-on at QB but the way Frost and co. made it sound was the drop off from Martinez wouldn’t be that big.

19 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

I'm still very positive despite the 0-2 start. I like where things are going. Knew the turnaround couldn't be instant. Played a walk on at QB and frankly he looked like a walk on today. Credit to Troy.

Defense isn't great but much improved imo. Some mistakes are still there but guys are playing hard. 

Our kicking game is horrendous. If there is one thing Frost needs to pay more attention to it's that imo. He seems to consider it a necessary evil. Special teams is killing us right now.

LSU rebounded after the Troy loss last year and salvaged their season. Hopefully we can do the same. Hopefully Martinez can get and stay healthy.

When i started the "Top Concerns" thread, i cited that special teams was my very top concern.  I wanted Dewit to prove me wrong.  He's not.  :ahhhhhhhh

I also focused on Frost's first season at UCF rather than the fantasy 2nd season.  Hoped i was wrong about how it would look ugly this year, and wanted to be proven wrong again.  They're not.

3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Except the majority of the game should've been running for first downs with real running plays and not that stupid zone read garbage....lead by Ozigbo.

Ozigbo average less than 3yards per carry. A lot has to go right for ziggy to be effective. He takes to long to get going and can't make people miss. IMO bell and Washington are better for this offense especially when the line is struggling.