What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Except the majority of the game should've been running for first downs with real running plays and not that stupid zone read garbage....lead by Ozigbo.

So we have an inexperienced walk on at QB. Troy decides to load the box and blitz to fluster Bunch. We run a ton of WR screens to get Bunch in a rythem and get a feel for the game. Bunch had real problems keeping his eyes downfield and completing those passes to make the S/LB have to respect the pass so they could just play aggressive all game. We complete those passes and that either changes what Troy has to do on D or they get torched through the air.

What are real running plays?

• Plus1 1

The return of Nebraska is greatly over-exaggerated.

We were playing this game like a scrimmage.  No fire, slow pursuits,  WTH?

Very disappointed with the coaching.  Why are we running read option with a QB that can't run?  No creativity on offense at all.  Maurice Washington created his own plays.  The playcalling was garbage.  Read option with no running QB and swing passes.  Really?  We made life easy for the Troy defense.    

Spielman looks like he has lost a step.  Why were not spreading it around to the WR's?  Did M. Williams even catch a ball?    

Jackson is slower than I thought he was.  Dude is just too slow for a DB.  

Special teams is a hot mess.  

O-Line is terrible.  

Really disappointed with the whole frickin s-show.  We ran tempo once and it worked.  Where is the vaunted tempo "we can go faster if we want?".  Tired of the talk.  We lost to CU and Troy at home.  You could have retired making those bets.  I'm not off the train but this train is stalled in the station with several broken parts.  

• Plus1 3

35 minutes ago, irafreak said:

Mad is fine. Plenty of posters that are unreasonable. I wonder if they hold themselves to impossible standards. Losing to Troy is frustrating but not completely unexpected. This team was awful last year and troy is a solid team.

Beating Colorado and Troy isn't an impossible standard.    Mad/upset/whatever is actually pretty reasonable.

Just because Frost is the coach doesn't mean people should be okay with bad football 

• Plus1 2

My worst fears are being realized, sadly.   We lost our trigger man QB and this offense absoutely requires a fab QB to run successfully.   When you have the perfect pieces, it is a great offense.   But without the QB it becomes very stoppable and impotent.   I predicted this last spring and early fall and far too many scoffed at my ideas.   UGH   

Defense plays hard but makes some mistakes but played well enough to win.   Special teams are NOT being practiced and coached enough.  Special teams ARE 33% of the team and in importance but have not been getting 1/3rd of the practice time for decades.   When you are not vastly superior, you will lose if you don't win the special teams.   PERIOD

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

So we have an inexperienced walk on at QB. Troy decides to load the box and blitz to fluster Bunch. We run a ton of WR screens to get Bunch in a rythem and get a feel for the game. Bunch had real problems keeping his eyes downfield and completing those passes to make the S/LB have to respect the pass so they could just play aggressive all game. We complete those passes and that either changes what Troy has to do on D or they get torched through the air.

What are real running plays?

Those are plays like the ones Osborne and Solich used to run where the QB hands off or pitches and the line and rb do the rest. Others have commented on the kinds of plays we should've called to get the ball to our star receivers and open it up. Do you think the running game was what it should've been? I thought we looked like the mid-major underdog running desperate plays. Do we really have to count on Martinez' running that much?