What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

My worst fears are being realized, sadly.   We lost our trigger man QB and this offense absoutely requires a fab QB to run successfully.   When you have the perfect pieces, it is a great offense.   But without the QB it becomes very stoppable and impotent.   I predicted this last spring and early fall and far too many scoffed at my ideas.   UGH   

Defense plays hard but makes some mistakes but played well enough to win.   Special teams are NOT being practiced and coached enough.  Special teams ARE 33% of the team and in importance but have not been getting 1/3rd of the practice time for decades.   When you are not vastly superior, you will lose if you don't win the special teams.   PERIOD

I thought we'd have crazy formations with 7 spread like Oregon and discovered that we're still running Pelini's zone read offense.

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I thought we'd have crazy formations with 7 spread like Oregon and discovered that we're still running Pelini's zone read offense.

Yes, I thought we'd see many more spread formations without Martinez today as a running threat.  Where are all these vaunted WR's I have heard so much about?  Williams, Lindsey, Hunt, Woodyard, McQuitty...anyone home?  Why didn't we help Bunch with this?  We told him to read option the entire game and that is not his strength.  Really lazy game plan.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Those are plays like the ones Osborne and Solich used to run where the QB hands off or pitches and the line and rb do the rest. Others have commented on the kinds of plays we should've called to get the ball to our star receivers and open it up. Do you think the running game was what it should've been? I thought we looked like the mid-major underdog running desperate plays. Do we really have to count on Martinez' running that much?

1. What? No wonder people say Husker fans live in the past.

2. Obviously not.

3. Yea. Same as how Osborne depended on Frazier/Frost’s running ability. That’s the point of option.

• Plus1 1

Pre season hype is poison. We are a bad football team. I see 2 wins. I get growing pains but this shouldn’t happen. People need to stop with the moral victory crap. 0-2 is 0-2 no matter how you look at it. I see improvement on the defense but 0 on the O-line. It’s going to be a long year and offseason and if people are dissapointed about the recruiting right now, buckle in cause these results set us back further. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

1. What? No wonder people say Husker fans live in the past.

2. Obviously not.

3. Yea. Same as how Osborne depended on Frazier/Frost’s running ability. That’s the point of option.

Frost said in post-game they planned to lean on the line......with the absence of that fiasco, we got what you saw. The option they ran involved the I-back, the fullback and the wingback sprinting...………..the zone-read involves the rb and qb standing flat-footed 7 yards back like a draw play.