What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

I learned we do not have athletes on our offensive line. It doesn't matter how "seasoned" that group is, they are just plain terrible. Andrew Bunch......he is a walk-on QB and it shows. He is doing what he can but he just doesn't have the skills to make this offense go and his line doesn't do him any favors. Defensively....I just cant even come up with anything to explain it. Its just bad and we are going to get absolutely abused this year. 

Before the season I thought we would get to 6 wins. After 2 games....we will be lucky to win one.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

On 9/16/2018 at 11:45 AM, Undone said:

Didn't want to create a new thread for this and didn't know where to put it.

Another thing that was incredibly frustrating to be honest was Young's play on their final touchdown drive. Here's the first play. Gifford's on the edge on the left side of the line. The way Young bites to the right of the field instead of staying home is seriously so hard to watch:

15371194361033026.gif

The second play (their touchdown) isn't quite as bad because he does get blocked, but the whole defensive effort is just bad and not smart:

1537119783115510.gif

Need to play in space better in conference play. It seems to have been the motion man both times that got us off of our assignments. 

Hard to watch! We really needed Mo Barry on this drive, IMO.

17 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I mentioned both these plays in another thread.  It was pretty obvious watching it live that he had no clue what was going on

Frost said at the PC today that the free blitzer was supposed to take the RB on that second play. So it was Reed that made the mistake there.

Boy, the more I watch of this game, the less I understand how Ruud mentioned a couple times that he thought Honas played well.  I haven't seen him make a really good play yet and he's had more than his share of bad ones.

Pretty disappointed in this one.  Thought he'd be an instant impact guy.  But he isn't making the plays I thought he would.

• Plus1 1
On 9/15/2018 at 10:14 PM, Mavric said:

The Ugly (other than the loss itself)

Lamar Jackson - beaten early, often and badly.  Even his INT should have been simultaneous possession to the offense

I actually think Lamar Jackson should be in whatever the next category below Ugly is.  Holy cow.  Fell-out-of-the-ugly-tree-and-hit-every-branch-on-the-way-down looks better than how he played.

Donovan Peoples-Jones has to be drooling.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Boy, the more I watch of this game, the less I understand how Ruud mentioned a couple times that he thought Honas played well.  I haven't seen him make a really good play yet and he's had more than his share of bad ones.

Pretty disappointed in this one.  Thought he'd be an instant impact guy.  But he isn't making the plays I thought he would.

he had a nice solo tackle for a loss where he shot the gap and popped the RB.  Had another tackle for a loss but he had to reach and ended up grabbing a leg and getting lucky

2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

he had a nice solo tackle for a loss where he shot the gap and popped the RB.  Had another tackle for a loss but he had to reach and ended up grabbing a leg and getting lucky

He also flat whiffed on a couple of runs right at him when he was unblocked.  And could not get off a block for several seconds on at least a couple other plays.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

He also flat whiffed on a couple of runs right at him when he was unblocked.  And could not get off a block for several seconds on at least a couple other plays.

also true.  I think he has to adjust to the speed of the game at this level and the strength of the players.  I watched some of his highlights from Juco and i think i remember him making a few arm tackles.  Now guys are just running through those.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I noticed whenever he came on in the Colorado game that the defense seemed to take a step back.

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Bootle did not have a single ball thrown his way Saturday.

Which means......

#ThrowAtLamar

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Would like to see a gameplan in which our guys actually come more prepared than the other team and finally make less mistakes. Colorado and Troy seemed to have a lot of schemes that took advantage of our relative green offense and defense.

I wonder when the script flips.

Just one question.

Was Husqvarna Wielding Husker taken when you came up with your screen name? ; )

7 hours ago, lo country said:

He'sa baller.  Brings a nasty attitude to the field.  He's our best CB.

I played football at UNO and was roommates with his brother Deveraux Bootle. The good news is Deveraux told me their youngest brother is in high school right now and I am told he is the best and fastest athlete of all of them. He plays WR and I am told Frost is already recruiting hard. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1