JJ Husker

What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

1 minute ago, irafreak said:

Mad is fine. Plenty of posters that are unreasonable. I wonder if they hold themselves to impossible standards. Losing to Troy is frustrating but not completely unexpected. This team was awful last year and troy is a solid team.

Way too many of our fans do not realize that we are now a little fish in a big pond. Proof? Troy was just as athletic as we were, and they flat beat us - at our house.

• Plus1 1

Just now, HuskerInLostWages said:

This is true, but Riley was a loser, he's always been a loser and didn't care if we won or not.  I don't buy that Frost will accept kids accepting losing.

I agree, but we can’t allow excuses like this to permeate what should be a culture of winning. Rebuild or not, that effort and attitude needs to be seen by the players on the field. Not just in press conference answers. 

2 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I've learned:

I don't understand or like our play calling and personnel decisions, but opposing teams do.

What would you do differently? 

• Plus1 1

We look like the kid who disappears under the blanket. like we know it's happening but we still cry when we realize it's happening

They literally stacked the box every play because of no throwing threat. You have 5 blocking 7-8 almost every play. That’s on offensive playcalling and QB who can’t get it done. Sure, the OL didn’t play great today but there are plenty of others to blame as well.

• Plus1 1

Very self destructive team.

21 penalties in 2 games, loads of sacks and turn overs. QB needs better protection.

Need Martinez back.

Defense is actually pretty good, only 2 scores came from their offense. still aggressive so they will allow some big plays.

They are the bright spot. Offense might have been also with the better QB.

Really though, what a complete bummer that game was, did not expect this at all.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

This is true, but Riley was a loser, he's always been a loser and didn't care if we won or not.  I don't buy that Frost will accept kids accepting losing.

I don't either.  Today I saw kids accustomed to losing.  Kids who are "excepting of" if not "expecting to".  It's been like this for years even under Pelini.  The one gut punch, kick in the junk that the team can't/won't overcome.  It's gonna take years to unmuck that proraming...... 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, blinky said:

We are:

1. Slow as a team

2. Undisciplined as a team

3. Still lacking offensive creativity

4. Not really the attacking defense we’re said to be

5. Not capable of generating turnovers

6. Going to be disappointed a lot this year

Agree with all but 4. 1 is maybe. We are attacking. We blitz more than sit back in soft zones keeping everything in front of us....hence the big plays given up. Results don't show a successful attacking defense necessarily but it is the philosophy we are practicing.

I learned that having to rely on a third string quarterback two weeks into a rebuilding year can be quite detrimental....certainly not a surprise though.

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

My take away is that we are not good enough to run the ball up the middle 70% of the time and score points.

We stayed extremely conservative today on offense which put a lot of strain on our defense. We will lose them all if the playcalling is ever that conservative again.

• Plus1 4

7 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I've learned:

With good coaching you're supposed to play better after your tuneup game and clean up all the first game mistakes.  We doubled down on first game mistake in game two.  Thank goodness we didn't start with two road games.

The O-line has regressed from last season

I don't understand or like our play calling and personnel decisions, but opposing teams do.

I'm calling BS on all the big talk in the off season on the intensity of the new conditioning regiment.  In two games in not stretch of the imagination have we looked like the better conditioned team in the 4th quarter.

Lastly I learned I should probably not post immediately following a loss especially at home to Troy. 

Stop believing the offseason hype.  You'll live longer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

What would you do differently? 

I thought about this all game. I would have shot Spielman & Lindsey across the middle for short slants into the middle when the outside blitz was evident.

Would have ran jet sweeps.

And I would have pitched the ball outside to Washington more.

Honestly I was almost shocked we even scored that last touchdown. Our red zone offense was made out to look like s*** because we just couldn't take advantage of the way they were stacking the box. That leaves me really frustrated. I'm not frustrated with Bunch and I seriously hope that this board doesn't harp on him one bit.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

I learned that the level of knee-jerk overreactions to an early rebuild season loss with a third string walk on QB can be quite astonishing.

61 years. 

I'm still very positive despite the 0-2 start. I like where things are going. Knew the turnaround couldn't be instant. Played a walk on at QB and frankly he looked like a walk on today. Credit to Troy.

Defense isn't great but much improved imo. Some mistakes are still there but guys are playing hard. 

Our kicking game is horrendous. If there is one thing Frost needs to pay more attention to it's that imo. He seems to consider it a necessary evil. Special teams is killing us right now.

LSU rebounded after the Troy loss last year and salvaged their season. Hopefully we can do the same. Hopefully Martinez can get and stay healthy.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Undone said:

I thought about this all game. I would have shot Spielman & Lindsey across the middle for short slants into the middle when the outside blitz was evident.

Honestly I was almost shocked we even scored that last touchdown. Our red zone offense was made out to look like s*** because we just couldn't take advantage of the way they were stacking the box. That leaves me really frustrated. I'm not frustrated with Bunch and I seriously hope that this board doesn't harp on him one bit.

I don't know if Bunch asked Frost to run rollout a lot, but those were awful. 

Our redzone offense has been awful because our offensive line is awful. 

• Upvote 1

Bunch has been asked to do alot. The offensive line did him no favors. I really like winning and I miss it. 

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Same but I also would of put Scott Frost in the game in Bunch's jersey. 

Well a lot of mistakes.  Penalties, interceptions, guys being out of place defensively.  Special teams gaffes - Giving up the 58 yard punt return, a missed field goal.  Nebraska has to quit shooting themselves in the foot.  The Trojans really aren't a team to sleep on either.  They were 11-2 last year.  They beat LSU at their house.

A lot of kinks to iron out.  For me I'm fine.  These games are fun to watch again. I like our linebackers (when their not out of position) and I like our running backs too.  We had 3 sacks this game so our QB pressure is vastly improved even after 2 games.  Chinander and co have some things to fix but they are things that are fixable.  

These are mostly Riley's guys also.  Patience.  

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Also what more do you want from Frost with Bunch? 18-25(72%) with 177 yards 2 TDs 1 INT before the final drive. Thats getting Bunch some easy completions. 

It's a fair question. I'm not an offensive guru. Frost is considered one. I expected to see creative ways to get his weapons involved more. He did not. Which surprised me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't know if Bunch asked Frost to run rollout a lot, but those were awful. 

Our redzone offense has been awful because our offensive line is awful. 

After three quarters of watching it be awful, the coaching staff needs to do something differently.

I'm not saying that I would have passed when we ran on 3rd & 2 or anything ridiculous like that. I just probably would have worked the ball to the outside quickly more around the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Dedrick Young missed two tackles that just killed us in the fourth quarter. That was also really, really tough to watch.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

#3 uh, no. You want a third string QB to pitch the ball? That takes a lot of timing and reps. Bunch has neither of those.

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well a lot of mistakes.  Penalties, interceptions, guys being out of place defensively.  Special teams gaffes - Giving up the 58 yard punt return, a missed field goal.  Nebraska has to quit shooting themselves in the foot.  The Trojans really aren't a team to sleep on either.  They were 11-2 last year.  They beat LSU at their house.

A lot of kinks to iron out.  For me I'm fine.  These games are fun to watch again. I like our linebackers (when their not out of position) and I like our running backs too.  We had 3 sacks this game so our QB pressure is vastly improved even after 2 games.  Chinander and co have some things to fix but they are things that are fixable.  

These are mostly Riley's guys also.  Patience.  

Last week was fun to watch. This game was absolute torture. 

I think Troy would have beat us by 30 last year.  

Disappointed with the turnovers, terribly timed penalties, and bad special teams play.  

Bunch left a lot of yards on the field with bad reads.  

We are going to lose a lot of close games this year, but we are getting better.

• Plus1 4
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

How many WR screens does Frost need to call to help bunch out? At some point he needs to complete a pass 10+ yards downfield. Any time we ran downfield routes Bunch looked lost, rolled out of the pocket and threw an incomplete pass. 

I guess my issue is that troy stacked the box to stop the run. Bunch should have had drawn up plays with guys running open from time to time...I'm sure he missed some but with a week to add some wrinkles tailored to his strengths, I didn't see any. Maybe bunch has no strengths. Lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm still behind Frost. Just surprised the offense just looked like a watered doem version of last week...whice makes me think Martinez is expected to be a full go next week and beyond.

We had to go conservative today imo. The QB run game was non-existent, you can imagine where things go if we have to play the true freshman walk on. Bunch didn't read things well at all today, credit to Troy in part.

The punt return TD was the killer combined with the easy FG miss. 

• Upvote 1

One of the main things that confused me was the play calling after the muffed punt. We ran on 1st and 2nd down and then made Bunch try to make an across the field fade throw. I just didn’t understand it. Throughout the game we just struggled to grab any momentum.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

One of the main things that confused me was the play calling after the muffed punt. We ran on 1st and 2nd down and then made Bunch try to make an across the field fade throw. I just didn’t understand it. Throughout the game we just struggled to grab any momentum.

Agree with this, Frost has been really conservative in the redzone and on 3rd downs this year.  

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 87skers said:

We suck plain and simple. Hope we lose every game this year 

Well that’s productive. My what a good fan you are. I’d suggest you find a hobby.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, irafreak said:

That the defense is going to be ok. They give up a big play here and there but that's what happens with attacking defenses.

Extremely disappointed in Frost and the offense. Nothing put in place to help a 3rd string qb. He tried to lean on the line and tailbacks but where was the change in game plan for his qb? Same offense from last week only simplified with the qb runs stripped from it. I expect more from an offensive genius. 

Special teams still ugly. Penalties and turnovers not improved from week 1.

Sucks to be 0 and 2 for the first time since the 50s. We desperately need a playmaker qb. Frost's offense is junk without one. Troy has a solid defense though. I shudder to think what michigan's will do next week.

They did nothing to help Bunch...…..I don't mean just the coaches, the rest of the offense was lame. Do the running backs know where they're going? 

Just now, irafreak said:

Bunch should have had drawn up plays with guys running open from time to time...I'm sure he missed some

I wouldn’t say I have the best eyes but I saw a bunch that he missed. You could say the line wasn’t doing it’s job but Bunch clearly was getting flustered and taking his eyes off of his WRs. 

6 minutes ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

The OC struggled mightily....partly because the running game was so inept.

As frustrating as it was to lose...

1. It would have been a ton worse with last years group coaching..

2. A Non Scholly QB turns the ball over.. Shocking.. He Still wasn't terrible there's a reason he's not on scholarship

3.  Mis-alignments by LB's were costly.. Still enjoy a Defense flying around

4. Special Teams Ouch.  They flipped the field so much in the punting game.

5. Clean up the penalties which I think all are fixable and the results will come.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Isn’t one of the best coaches in the country supposed to be able to take a talent pool, coach them up over 6-8 months, and beat a Troy or Purdue with anyone at QB?

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I wouldn’t say I have the best eyes but I saw a bunch that he missed. You could say the line wasn’t doing it’s job but Bunch clearly was getting flustered and taking his eyes off of his WRs. 

Except the majority of the game should've been running for first downs with real running plays and not that stupid zone read garbage....lead by Ozigbo.

7 minutes ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

I didn't understand the 1st and 10 from our own 9 or 10 and they toss it back to ?, five yards behind the line of scrimmage and he gets stuffed and it was almost a safety. 

• Plus1 1

Just for reference, UCF's defense largely carried them their first season. Their offense had a long way to go, then they were one of the best in the country in year 2. I think with Martinez we have some potential on offense otherwise we're in for a long season.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

We are now on a 6 game losing streak.  Has that ever happened in NU's history?

Why are you so obsessed with streaks?

I could go on about the offensive line and special teams, but just find any of my game posts from 2014-2017. 

Yet still, through this awful 0-2 start, I can't help but be excited about this rebuilding year. It's going to take time to get this thing right, but Frost and Co. will get it right. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Spammytodd said:

Isn’t one of the best coaches in the country supposed to be able to take a talent pool, coach them up over 6-8 months, and beat a Troy or Purdue with anyone at QB?

He's your 5th sting QB going back to when Frost took the job.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

We are terrible at ball security. Some people thought Martinez looked great in this preseason video, but I was scared because of the way he was flailing his arm around when he was carrying the ball. And I noticed the same thing from our guys today (Bell IIRC) - just waving the ball all around as they're carrying it. What's really scary is that you can't blame Riley for either of them, they're both Frost guys.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Except the majority of the game should've been running for first downs with real running plays and not that stupid zone read garbage....lead by Ozigbo.

Zone Read isn't much different than the belly option we used to run. Frost led the nation on offense last year using it so I don't think it's complete garbage... 

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

Why are you so obsessed with streaks?

Obsessed?  I have literally said streaks once in my entire time on this board.  WTF you walking about Willis?

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I didn't understand the 1st and 10 from our own 9 or 10 and they toss it back to ?, five yards behind the line of scrimmage and he gets stuffed and it was almost a safety. 

I think it was Bell, but I could be wrong. Just all around too conservative. And I get it was a walk-on at QB but the way Frost and co. made it sound was the drop off from Martinez wouldn’t be that big.

6 minutes ago, Spammytodd said:

That is what the kool-aid drinkers were saying last year. I recall that was a common theme. 

• Plus1 1