JJ Husker

What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

I learned what it feels like to have our worst start since 1957....it feels like s#!t.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

I'm still very positive despite the 0-2 start. I like where things are going. Knew the turnaround couldn't be instant. Played a walk on at QB and frankly he looked like a walk on today. Credit to Troy.

Defense isn't great but much improved imo. Some mistakes are still there but guys are playing hard. 

Our kicking game is horrendous. If there is one thing Frost needs to pay more attention to it's that imo. He seems to consider it a necessary evil. Special teams is killing us right now.

LSU rebounded after the Troy loss last year and salvaged their season. Hopefully we can do the same. Hopefully Martinez can get and stay healthy.

When i started the "Top Concerns" thread, i cited that special teams was my very top concern.  I wanted Dewit to prove me wrong.  He's not.  :ahhhhhhhh

I also focused on Frost's first season at UCF rather than the fantasy 2nd season.  Hoped i was wrong about how it would look ugly this year, and wanted to be proven wrong again.  They're not.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Zone Read isn't much different than the belly option we used to run. Frost led the nation on offense last using it so I don't think it's complete garbage... 

I'm gonna stick with Bunch running zone read as lame garbage.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Except the majority of the game should've been running for first downs with real running plays and not that stupid zone read garbage....lead by Ozigbo.

Ozigbo average less than 3yards per carry. A lot has to go right for ziggy to be effective. He takes to long to get going and can't make people miss. IMO bell and Washington are better for this offense especially when the line is struggling.

25 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

What would you do differently? 

Go for it on 4th and 1 late in the game.  Yeah, we get stuffed a lot on short yardage situations when we just line up and run, but you play to win the game.  The shanked punt and their TD proved it wasn't the right call.  Maybe we should throw more in short yardage.

Remember when Riley and company ran the ball down UCLA’s throat.  It feels like this team has as much talent at o-line and RB as that team.  Why couldn’t they have done that today?!?!  So frustrating...

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Except the majority of the game should've been running for first downs with real running plays and not that stupid zone read garbage....lead by Ozigbo.

So we have an inexperienced walk on at QB. Troy decides to load the box and blitz to fluster Bunch. We run a ton of WR screens to get Bunch in a rythem and get a feel for the game. Bunch had real problems keeping his eyes downfield and completing those passes to make the S/LB have to respect the pass so they could just play aggressive all game. We complete those passes and that either changes what Troy has to do on D or they get torched through the air.

What are real running plays?

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

I'm gonna stick with Bunch running zone read as lame garbage.

I can't totally disagree with that. Even if he pulled the ball and ran, he didn't have anyone to pitch to.

The return of Nebraska is greatly over-exaggerated.

We were playing this game like a scrimmage.  No fire, slow pursuits,  WTH?

Very disappointed with the coaching.  Why are we running read option with a QB that can't run?  No creativity on offense at all.  Maurice Washington created his own plays.  The playcalling was garbage.  Read option with no running QB and swing passes.  Really?  We made life easy for the Troy defense.    

Spielman looks like he has lost a step.  Why were not spreading it around to the WR's?  Did M. Williams even catch a ball?    

Jackson is slower than I thought he was.  Dude is just too slow for a DB.  

Special teams is a hot mess.  

O-Line is terrible.  

Really disappointed with the whole frickin s-show.  We ran tempo once and it worked.  Where is the vaunted tempo "we can go faster if we want?".  Tired of the talk.  We lost to CU and Troy at home.  You could have retired making those bets.  I'm not off the train but this train is stalled in the station with several broken parts.  

• Plus1 3

35 minutes ago, irafreak said:

Mad is fine. Plenty of posters that are unreasonable. I wonder if they hold themselves to impossible standards. Losing to Troy is frustrating but not completely unexpected. This team was awful last year and troy is a solid team.

Beating Colorado and Troy isn't an impossible standard.    Mad/upset/whatever is actually pretty reasonable.

Just because Frost is the coach doesn't mean people should be okay with bad football 

• Plus1 2

My worst fears are being realized, sadly.   We lost our trigger man QB and this offense absoutely requires a fab QB to run successfully.   When you have the perfect pieces, it is a great offense.   But without the QB it becomes very stoppable and impotent.   I predicted this last spring and early fall and far too many scoffed at my ideas.   UGH   

Defense plays hard but makes some mistakes but played well enough to win.   Special teams are NOT being practiced and coached enough.  Special teams ARE 33% of the team and in importance but have not been getting 1/3rd of the practice time for decades.   When you are not vastly superior, you will lose if you don't win the special teams.   PERIOD

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Spammytodd said:

Remember when Riley and company ran the ball down UCLA’s throat.  It feels like this team has as much talent at o-line and RB as that team.  Why couldn’t they have done that today?!?!  So frustrating...

Narrator's voice: "It doesn't."

7 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

So we have an inexperienced walk on at QB. Troy decides to load the box and blitz to fluster Bunch. We run a ton of WR screens to get Bunch in a rythem and get a feel for the game. Bunch had real problems keeping his eyes downfield and completing those passes to make the S/LB have to respect the pass so they could just play aggressive all game. We complete those passes and that either changes what Troy has to do on D or they get torched through the air.

What are real running plays?

Those are plays like the ones Osborne and Solich used to run where the QB hands off or pitches and the line and rb do the rest. Others have commented on the kinds of plays we should've called to get the ball to our star receivers and open it up. Do you think the running game was what it should've been? I thought we looked like the mid-major underdog running desperate plays. Do we really have to count on Martinez' running that much?

I learned I still have hope. That is something that was missing the last two years. Also home game tickets will also be cheaper!

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

My worst fears are being realized, sadly.   We lost our trigger man QB and this offense absoutely requires a fab QB to run successfully.   When you have the perfect pieces, it is a great offense.   But without the QB it becomes very stoppable and impotent.   I predicted this last spring and early fall and far too many scoffed at my ideas.   UGH   

Defense plays hard but makes some mistakes but played well enough to win.   Special teams are NOT being practiced and coached enough.  Special teams ARE 33% of the team and in importance but have not been getting 1/3rd of the practice time for decades.   When you are not vastly superior, you will lose if you don't win the special teams.   PERIOD

I thought we'd have crazy formations with 7 spread like Oregon and discovered that we're still running Pelini's zone read offense.

15 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

I will never buy pre season hype ever again.

Welcome to the club. You'll like it here. 

• Plus1 3

i relearned that a lot of fans like to cry when nebraska loses.   but is that really learning anything new?

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

I learned that we may not go to a bowl game for 2 straight years.  When's the last time that happened?

the 1967-1968 seasons

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I thought we'd have crazy formations with 7 spread like Oregon and discovered that we're still running Pelini's zone read offense.

Yes, I thought we'd see many more spread formations without Martinez today as a running threat.  Where are all these vaunted WR's I have heard so much about?  Williams, Lindsey, Hunt, Woodyard, McQuitty...anyone home?  Why didn't we help Bunch with this?  We told him to read option the entire game and that is not his strength.  Really lazy game plan.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Those are plays like the ones Osborne and Solich used to run where the QB hands off or pitches and the line and rb do the rest. Others have commented on the kinds of plays we should've called to get the ball to our star receivers and open it up. Do you think the running game was what it should've been? I thought we looked like the mid-major underdog running desperate plays. Do we really have to count on Martinez' running that much?

1. What? No wonder people say Husker fans live in the past.

2. Obviously not.

3. Yea. Same as how Osborne depended on Frazier/Frost’s running ability. That’s the point of option.

• Plus1 1

i fear frost's offense isn't cut out for the big 10. i personally wish we copied wisconsin's style. it seems to be working out for them.

1 minute ago, BoSolich said:

i fear frost's offense isn't cut out for the big 10. i personally wish we copied wisconsin's style. it seems to be working out for them.

And who would you rather have as head coach then?

2 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

Ummm no. 

Pre season hype is poison. We are a bad football team. I see 2 wins. I get growing pains but this shouldn’t happen. People need to stop with the moral victory crap. 0-2 is 0-2 no matter how you look at it. I see improvement on the defense but 0 on the O-line. It’s going to be a long year and offseason and if people are dissapointed about the recruiting right now, buckle in cause these results set us back further. 

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Obsessed?  I have literally said streaks once in my entire time on this board.  WTF you walking about Willis?

Aaahhh! There's that "streaks" word again :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

1. What? No wonder people say Husker fans live in the past.

2. Obviously not.

3. Yea. Same as how Osborne depended on Frazier/Frost’s running ability. That’s the point of option.

Frost said in post-game they planned to lean on the line......with the absence of that fiasco, we got what you saw. The option they ran involved the I-back, the fullback and the wingback sprinting...………..the zone-read involves the rb and qb standing flat-footed 7 yards back like a draw play.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Aaahhh! There's that "streaks" word again :lol:

Are we in danger of losing the Wienerschlinger Streak?

20 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Love this idea!  We could put a TE in for a tackle and put the QB out wide as a decoy!

Now, we just gotta figure out who to snap it too......

:D

18 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

The inherent weakness of the spread option as I understand it is that with only one RB, there is very little decption and or diversity in the run game.   It relies on the defense to fear and defend the passing game in order to open up the run plays by spreading the defenders out.  Especially when the QB is not effectively a big strong RB like player.   Defenses load up and stuff the run (this is the basic fundamental rule of football is STOP the RUN first).   It is much easier if your offense is handicapped.   If you have one RB and a NOT SO DUAL THREAT QB, the defense can stuff those runs.   We ran somewhat effectively but we don't run wide due to lack of speed and or inability to block the permimeter.   ???

To open up the one back runs, you have to pass over the middle and so on.   We can't do such. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

We still haven’t figured out how to not come out completely lackadaisical for an 11am kick.

Yes, that was one of the more disappointing intangibles. Kinda figured with the morning practices that they might be more effective in an earlier game. Wrong 

Martinez, Bunch, Bell, and Stoll have committed all our turnovers this season.

Stoll was the only one of those guys who has played a game for Riley.  He has only turned the ball over once and only played a few games for Riley.

I don't find much comfort in the "continuation from last year" theory.  At least with turnovers.  Which I think is the biggest concern.   If it was still Tanner Lee out there throwing multiple picks that would be one thing.  What's going on with this team's turnovers is its own unique thing.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

Love this idea!  We could put a TE in for a tackle and put the QB out wide as a decoy!

Now, we just gotta figure out who to snap it too......

:D

From what I've seen I think that's what they actually do.

15 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Yes, I thought we'd see many more spread formations without Martinez today as a running threat.  Where are all these vaunted WR's I have heard so much about?  Williams, Lindsey, Hunt, Woodyard, McQuitty...anyone home?  Why didn't we help Bunch with this?  We told him to read option the entire game and that is not his strength.  Really lazy game plan.  

It’s hard to be more complex with formations when the team is using the backup, who was getting limited reps just 2-3 weeks ago. Even with Martinez, Frost said the offense is about 80% installed this year. Tough to get too exotic in these situations. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Stoll was the only one of those guys who has played a game for Riley.  He has only turned the ball over once and only played a few games for Riley.

I don't find much comfort in the "continuation from last year" theory.  At least with turnovers.  Which I think is the biggest concern.   If it was still Tanner Lee out there throwing multiple picks that would be one thing.  What's going on with this team's turnovers is its own unique thing.

My comments are more about penalties, poor blocking, and poor tackling. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Stoll was the only one of those guys who have played a game for Riley.  He has only turned the ball over once and only played a few games for Riley.

And the way MoWa runs with the ball hanging out like a chicken wing it’s only a matter of time til he puts it on the ground (He probably should have had one today, but we got a favorable replay imo)

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s hard to be more complex with formations when the team is using the backup, who was getting limited reps just 2-3 weeks ago. Even with Martinez, Frost said the offense is about 80% installed this year. Tough to get too exotic in these situations. 

Beating Troy at home shouldn’t require “exotic. “

Just now, MountainMan said:

Beating Troy at home shouldn’t need exotic. 

I agree it shouldn’t, but the special teams gave up a TD and missed a chip shot FG, and the defense let up huge conversions in the 4th quarter. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

80%?  I would have taken 40% today.  What the hell did we do all summer!?  Why are we read optioning with a QB that can't run?  If Maurice Washington doesn't make people miss this is even worse.  Mid to short passing game would have been welcome to bring some balance.  Sweeps, 2-backs, etc. too to run out of some different formations.  This was a poor game plan today and it got us a really lousy result.      

In a good world we are 2-1 right now with a healthy Martinez or Gebbia at QB.  In a perfect world we are 3-0.  Since ESPN hates us and they run the world (Illuminati confirmed) we are 0-2