0-2

The Dude

16 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Criticizing play calling, repeated procedural penalties, bad special teams play, isn’t about giving someone slack.  These questions need to be raised and addressed, they need answers of correction.  I have no questions about who is the right coach for Nebraska, I do have questions about some fundamental football issues, and why they are occurring.  Giving up a TD on a punt, not ok, your place kicking has to be fixed and fast, not pooch kicking the ball with no return man back for Troy with 3 minutes left and kicking it through the end zone, unacceptable.  Not having a run blitz on 3rd and 3 when the running QB came in the game.  Have no safety watch the QB on the touchdown run.  There is no slack for those sorts of things, that is first week camp stuff.  People don’t get better without identifying solutions to problems.  These are short term problems, long term problems are also present, but I believe these have been addressed.  The short term ones are the reason for 0-2 and not 2-0.  Riley didn’t lose this game, Bo didn’t lose any Riley games, Bill didn’t lose Bos games and so on.  And we haven’t sucked for 6 years.....

i think this is where i'm at. i am happy coach frost is here, but maybe there is a chance that he may have been getting high off his own hype just a bit. he's a first year head coach who we fully support, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking those questions, especially when those specific things are the only reasons we haven't won a game. 

coaching is hard. coaching in the present day is even harder, and the coaches have to understand that you can't exactly ride past season successes into future wins anymore. you still have to work just as hard, or harder, to achieve even things as small as lining up right. i think they've gotten a bit complacent after their UCF success, and have made assumptions about certain things that have cost them. i recall the coaches downplaying concerns about not working on special teams at all in the spring. well, it's showing.

Troy and Colorado have coaches who watch tape and want to win too.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, KingBlank said:

1.  I spoke about long term and short term issues.  Habits aren't what lost the game.  Continue to believe what you will.  Yes there is a clear line, the others don't coach here anymore.

2.  I don't think I suggest how you watch the game, keep your insinuating comments to yourself, no one #$%# cares.

3.  Uhh what, I don't think that was ever implied or said, but good,  argue some point that wasn't present. 

This is the point that strikes me most clearly about bad takes from the first two games we have played.  In my (oh so humble) opinion, we did not lose the first two games because of "buy-in", "culture", strength and conditioning, lack of talent,  or bad habits.  We didn't lose last Saturday because we didn't have Adrian Martinez. 

We are 0-2, because we were simply out-coached, and not as well prepared as the teams we faced.  We are losing the turnover margin, and both Martinez and many of the running backs continue to run with the ball away from their body (this comes down to coaching).  Several 4th and short play-calls, have failed because for some reason Scott Frost refuses to run the most efficient short yardage play: the QB sneak under center.  His clock management has been very questionable, when we were behind late to Troy he bleeds the clock with plays for an almost 7 minute drive, but when we are ahead against Colorado we can barely run off a minute at all.  You could go on and on. 

Scott Frost still has my full support, but I believe, the difference between us being 0-2 or 2-0 falls on his shoulders, not on bad habits, or guys not buying in, or a QB not playing. 

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62665328

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2011/11/qb-sneak-vs-rb-dive.html

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

If you look at just the highlights video you can imagine their guy in the booth saying "they overpursue everything, just fake a stretch and cut it up the middle" , their TD runs were like taking candy from a baby....walked right in.

Totally agree.

I would never presume to know more about what each player's assignments were on any given play than Frost himself...but that last touchdown drive they had was pathetic defense. I'm told that I was incorrect that Young was to blame on that touchdown run and that Reed was supposed to cover the middle but holy crap...there was nobody home in the middle at all.

I really believe that Chinander is going to produce a really great run defense - even as early as this season. But there are a couple guys who just don't read the field well at all still. Need to correct that. Overall though - as the stats show - we've been stout against the run through two games.

• Plus1 2

It's not 0-2.  It's4-14....Frost inherited a team that went 4-6 last year. Getting taken to the woodshed on 4 or 5 of those (I've tried to block those out).  The majority of kids playing now are those same kids.  Throw in new staff, new scheme, true fresh, injury and a walk-on QB starting.....What did we expect.

I bought into the pre-season hype.  Hook, line and 800lb squat, but looking now, Frost walked into a bomb blast.  He has a ton of work to do.  And so do the players...I'm stepping off the ledge and giving him all the time he needs.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Anybody ready to dump Frost was always against him and would be in the less than 1% who are never happy with anything basically.   

On the other hand, as fans we do have the right to voice our opinions on the state of all things Husker.  That's what makes us Husker Nation.   A good healthy debate amongst ourselves is helpful and keeps everyone aware, in tune and focused on the present and future.  But, we can always unite and support our team against all foes, foreign and domestic.

Go Big Red!!!!!    Huskers Forever!

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Anybody ready to dump Frost was always against him and would be in the less than 1% who are never happy with anything basically.   

On the other hand, as fans we do have the right to voice our opinions on the state of all things Husker.  That's what makes us Husker Nation.   A good healthy debate amongst ourselves is helpful and keeps everyone aware, in tune and focused on the present and future.  But, we can always unite and support our team against all foes, foreign and domestic.

Go Big Red!!!!!    Huskers Forever!

Yep.  Healthy spirited debate is great. If people didn't voice concerns or observations we wouldn't care that we are0-2.  Can't imagine folks would seriously be doubting the hire.....

I'd rather be 0-2 with Frost then 1-2 with Riley going into the BIG like last year.

Yes Nebraska was 1-2 with a home loss to Northern Iowa at this point last year.

Member when we beat Arkansas State 43-36 after they recovered the onside kick in final minute of the 4th and we held on for the win.  The D strained to keep them to 497 yards and 32 first downs.

23 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

There is no clear line here between the previous staff and the new one.  We have players that need to unlearn at least three years of bad habits, need to catch up on S&C, and get their minds right.  All that takes time.  For the life of me I have no idea why this is such a difficult core concept for you to grasp. 

Now if these issues are still happening in year 3, then Houston we have a problem.  

My suggestion: When Nebraska plays each Saturday, DVR the game but don't watch it live.  Go do something else.  Then, on Sunday, after you've sobered up, then watch the game.

Bottom line, Scott Frost is an intense competitior and if you think he isn't troubled about how the team is playing, then you don't know anything about Coach Frost.

If people couldn't read this in Frost's body language and face Sat, they were not watching the game.  It looked like he wanted to throat punch someone.  Same with the presser.  He had that look like I can't believe the craptastic display that was shown.

Regarding the things we saw:

Play calling-In retrospect, Bunch probably had about 30% of the play book he could use.  I have never seen so many hand offs to Bell off tackle since JLo was option left/option right under Frank.  Step back and look at the QB situation.  Bunch might improve, BUT he is a walk-on 3rd string QB.  It's not like we have a recruited guy backing up AM or even Bunch.........IMHO, Frost should've looked at another QB that better fit his vision.  

TE- lack of touches, fumble and missed blocks...Again maybe play calling plays into that. Or maybe Bunch doesn't process as fast as needed to effectively run this O.

Clock management- Frost has said he will always be in attack mode

The late TD by CU over Bootle-Neal and Fisher said it was blown coverage by a safety

Punt return-Missed tackle by Cam

TD by Troy by RB-Blitzer (Williams?) missed RB in backfield

All the above are fixable mistakes.  Won't say easy as we've had similar issues for years.  Some of these guys are on their 3rd DC, 3rd HC, 3-4th scheme......I said before, since last year these guys are 4-14......WTH did or should we have expected......

I was frustrated and mad as he77 Sat, but have called down, read shown great level headed posts and realized that NU has a ways to go.  I'm good with that.  I'll still rant on the board Sat, post more rational thoughts on Monday and wait, but that's why we are the greatest fans in college football.  We care.......

1 hour ago, InOmaha said:

I'd rather be 0-2 with Frost then 1-2 with Riley going into the BIG like last year.

Yes Nebraska was 1-2 with a home loss to Northern Iowa at this point last year.

Member when we beat Arkansas State 43-36 after they recovered the onside kick in final minute of the 4th and we held on for the win.  The D strained to keep them to 497 yards and 32 first downs.

I hate moral victories.  Can't stand them. Don't acknowledge them, but you've got to admit we look much better this year on both sides of the ball than we have in years.  Still have miscues and SMH moments, but SO much better IMHO.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1