Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

Positives?

I know this won't be a real popular topic, but what positives, if any, did you all see? 

Personally:

1.There were several times our defense looked pretty athletic, Troy couldn't do much. Honas stepped in and has some speed to work with, made some nice hits. Good to see Jackson get a pick. 

2. While the offense sputtered most of the day, the super fast play really had Troy on their heels. I didn't think we'd see such fast play for a few more games, and we pulled it off with a walk-on 4th stringer. I'm thinking good things will happen when AM is back. 

3. Special Teams weren't good. But- Pickering can make chip shots, and I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before JD breaks a kick return. 

• Plus1 2

Mo Washington appears to be our most dynamic player by a long shot. If he can bulk up a little, stay healthy and sticks around he should be a legend by the time he graduates.

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Dogs In A Pile said:

Mo Washington appears to be our most dynamic player by a long shot. If he can bulk up a little, stay healthy and sticks around he should be a legend by the time he graduates.

Martinez looks like our most dynamic player imo. They are both pups I think the future is bright.

Morgan had a TD grab. He's 9 away from Johnny Rodger's 25 career TD receptions record. He's tied for 5th with Maurice Purify, 16.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I know this won't be a real popular topic, but what positives, if any, did you all see? 

Personally:

1.There were several times our defense looked pretty athletic, Troy couldn't do much. Honas stepped in and has some speed to work with, made some nice hits. Good to see Jackson get a pick. 

2. While the offense sputtered most of the day, the super fast play really had Troy on their heels. I didn't think we'd see such fast play for a few more games, and we pulled it off with a walk-on 4th stringer. I'm thinking good things will happen when AM is back. 

3. Special Teams weren't good. But- Pickering can make chip shots, and I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before JD breaks a kick return. 

Bro that dude played terrible he was smoked on the pick play

• Plus1 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Personally:

Is this a comedic post? Your three points are all things that need improvement. I will respond to each accordingly.

1. When Honas was first put in after Barry’s ejection, he attempted to arm tackle around the 8-10 yard line and gave up a missed tackle which led to a touchdown. Thereafter, agreed, he played well. Lamar Jackson got beat all game long. Specifically and in direct opposition to your point, he was lucky to have the pick, had that not been an underthrown ball, it would have been a touchdown.

2. At times, it seems that the fast playcalling is beneficial. However, sometimes in crucial downs, it seems that coaches are trying to go so fast that they sacrfice either the correct play call or having the correct personnel in the game given the down/situation. In fact, we ran the same play back to back just for sake of going fast. That is not efficient or beneficial to the team.

3. Pickering can’t hit a FG at 30+ yards apparently, which is very concerning. We have gotten no significant kick or punt return in 2 games.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

And before anyone goes and calls me negative, I think Frost will turn it around by year 3-4. These 3 points to me, just seem so crazy based on what have actually seen in these 2 games.

• Plus1 1

I still think the defense is much improved from last year, but we haven’t played any Big Ten teams yet so it’s hard to say for sure.

18 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Bro that dude played terrible he was smoked on the pick play

yeah and the guy easily couldve got credit for the catch.  he looks the same as last year to me soft as charmin.  he was 2 steps behind guys all day.

14 minutes ago, Bball1091 said:

Is this a comedic post? Your three points are all things that need improvement. I will respond to each accordingly.

1. When Honas was first put in after Barry’s ejection, he attempted to arm tackle around the 8-10 yard line and gave up a missed tackle which led to a touchdown. Thereafter, agreed, he played well. Lamar Jackson got beat all game long. Specifically and in direct opposition to your point, he was lucky to have the pick, had that not been an underthrown ball, it would have been a touchdown.

2. At times, it seems that the fast playcalling is beneficial. However, sometimes in crucial downs, it seems that coaches are trying to go so fast that they sacrfice either the correct play call or having the correct personnel in the game given the down/situation. In fact, we ran the same play back to back just for sake of going fast. That is not efficient or beneficial to the team.

3. Pickering can’t hit a FG at 30+ yards apparently, which is very concerning. We have gotten no significant kick or punt return in 2 games.

I know Honas missed that tackle, but God, who hasn't on this defense? I'm just saying he looked pretty quick at times. 

The fast play led directly to one of our scores. Three times, as many as 5 Troy defenders weren't lined up or ready. 

I know things are bad with kicking, but he did make two. 

Get off my back. I'm just trying to find some good things in a sea of negativity. 

• Plus1 3

11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I still think the defense is much improved from last year, but we haven’t played any Big Ten teams yet so it’s hard to say for sure.

You’re not wrong. We got smoked by junk teams offenses last non-con. Defense is better.

Outyarded both opponents by 100+ yards and had better yards per play than both. We've found ways to lose each game. Clean things up and we could be formidable. One game played with a walk on QB. Not all is lost.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I know Honas missed that tackle, but God, who hasn't on this defense? I'm just saying he looked pretty quick at times. 

The fast play led directly to one of our scores. Three times, as many as 5 Troy defenders weren't lined up or ready. 

I know things are bad with kicking, but he did make two. 

Get off my back. I'm just trying to find some good things in a sea of negativity. 

Not on your back. We happen to disagree and I pointed out where I disagree; hence, the point of a message board. 

With that said, trying to find the positive is very therapeutic. Wish, I could do the same at this juncture. Need to give it a few more games in more opinion to see some real progress.

• Plus1 1

We are not far away, you can almost see shades of a good team underneath all the deadly mistakes. At moments the team looks brilliant,  just keeps shooting themselves in the foot. Eventually it will click, when it does this team will be dangerous. Not having our starting qb was obviously huge. Next week will be ugly unless the online gets their heads out of their rears. After that, I bet we see some success

• Plus1 2

Positives:

1) Frost isn't sugar coating sh!t.  Listen to what he's not saying in the press conferences....He has a definitive scheme and plan.  Get with it now. Or get your a$$ out of my locker room.

2) Stan Morgan Jr.  Simply balls out.  All day.  Every day.

3) Mo Washington- Mr Space Cowboy himself.  From the song and because he is hard to deal with in space.

4) Barry-Even for the boneheaded play.  He brings it every down.  NU has been missing that head hunter guy since Larry Assante IMO. A guy who people need to watch out for.  A big hitter.

5) I personally realized this isn't a year 2 turn around.  It'll take 3-4 minimum.

6) Lastly, moral victories aren't.  BUT-A Riley coached team gets woodshedded in the same scenario.  Both O and D are playing better despite the record.  

• Plus1 2

Frost's offense is going to be fun to watch.  Even with the roster flipping he did, he has to play the hand he has now.

The real culture switch is when the players initiate the accountability instead of the coaches.

The final piece is going to be getting the players to care.....to really care.  I'm convinced under Riley they did not care.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

We played horribly in almost every area and still only lost by 5.

only lost by 5 to 'Troy st.' and yes i know they were 11-2 last year, but they lost to boise by 36 2 weeks ago

19 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

We are not far away, you can almost see shades of a good team underneath all the deadly mistakes. At moments the team looks brilliant,  just keeps shooting themselves in the foot. Eventually it will click, when it does this team will be dangerous. Not having our starting qb was obviously huge. Next week will be ugly unless the online gets their heads out of their rears. After that, I bet we see some success

c'mon man, we're 0-2 for the first time since the 50s. this is not going to be a ucf rebuild. we are at least 4-5 years away from really competing.

3 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

only lost by 5 to 'Troy st.' and yes i know they were 11-2 last year, but they lost to boise by 36 2 weeks ago

Why you trying to ruin my positive post?

Don't want to tell others how to be fans bc that's silly. But I look at this as a ground up rebuild. Frost literally needs to fix every facet of the program to get back to where we were under Osborne. I am going to enjoy watching us improve and believe he's the guy.

Could I be wrong? Maybe, but the odds are low imo. GBR

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

c'mon man, we're 0-2 for the first time since the 50s. this is not going to be a ucf rebuild. we are at least 4-5 years away from really competing.

I’m not saying we are going to win the West this year, but I think the light will go on and we will win some of our remaining games. You misunderstood what I was saying I think. I bet next year we are in the race for the west and see a marked improvement. I see year 3 as the year we have a real shot at something special, although 4 or 5 is possible too. I just think if Martinez can stay healthy with the core of young talent he has around him, plus any incoming talent, it will happen sooner rather than later

also, since our starting qb was out we still haven’t really seen this offense grow and move as it’s supposed to. It’s not like this was an established unit plugging in a new qb, everything is still new to these guys and losing Martinez pauses the learning curve

The one major positive from this game and I will take away from every game this season is Frost is our head coach. Everything else will come with time.

8 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

This is the positives thread

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

Well Mr.Sunshine, what's better, really competing in 4-5 years or never improving and never competing?

I don't agree with your 4-5 year time table but I've seen enough pissing and moaning from you to wonder what your deal is. Just unhappy that we're 0-2 and making sure everybody else knows it? Here's a clue, nobody's happy about it, most of all the players and coaches.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Don't want to tell others how to be fans bc that's silly. But I look at this as a ground up rebuild. Frost literally needs to fix every facet of the program to get back to where we were under Osborne. I am going to enjoy watching us improve and believe he's the guy.

Agreed.  There are some things.....some details.....that are fun to watch.

We have some players who can operate in space.  Once we really learn perimeter blocking without committing penalties, we're gonna score some points.

Sometimes learning aggressiveness draws some laundry on both sides of the ball.

Frost's no fear of failure means there will be some failure.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

BOOM!!!!!

As frustrating as it is to be where we are now, the rebuild is going to be exciting. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Agreed.  There are some things.....some details.....that are fun to watch.

We have some players who can operate in space.  Once we really learn perimeter blocking without committing penalties, we're gonna score some points.

Sometimes learning aggressiveness draws some laundry on both sides of the ball.

Frost's no fear of failure means there will be some failure.

You can see some of the pieces of the puzzle but it isn't ready to be completed yet. Excited to watch the next few seasons. 

5 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

4-5 years rebuild?  Nope.

1-2?  Probably.

If Martinez is healthy we could look pretty good by midseason imo. Wouldn't put money on it but I think we'll have some moments if he's healthy. 

4 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

If Martinez is healthy we could look pretty good by midseason imo. Wouldn't put money on it but I think we'll have some moments if he's healthy. 

Hell if Nebraska can just stop turning the ball over and limit penalties they could be really good this year.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Not related to the game today but Chris Hickman committed tonight so the gives us a clean sweep of the top in-state players.

Help on the way.

Will he be a wide out or TE? Kinda skinny for TE.

5 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Not related to the game today but Chris Hickman committed tonight so the gives us a clean sweep of the top in-state players.

Help on the way.

Nice I remember people saying we would lose out on both him and Henrich. Frost is building this thing. 

17 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Will he be a wide out or TE? Kinda skinny for TE.

I remember hearing he has a good frame for adding good weight so I would imagine TE is the plan. Otherwise, I think he’d make a good wideout.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Help on the way.

A very positive in this.  Despite starting 0-2, Frost has gotten the top 5 in-state kids to commit to NU for 2019 making the class ranked 23rd.....Makes me thinks that these kids are seeing behind the curtain more than fans as to what the future holds.  Not bad considering it seems like the previous staff let a lot get away/or wasn't a priority.

• Plus1 1

A positive to me is the way this offense helps the QB look good. Everyone was ragging on Bunch today but Frost got Bunch a ton of easy completions to the tune of 70% passing most of the game. Obviously his play wasn't good enough to win us games but this game should be the floor as far as QB play goes and if that is the case, that is exciting.

• Plus1 1