2016 UCF vs 2018 NU

I first want to say that I have no doubt that we have the right coach.  SF and his staff are the ones that are going to turn this thing around.

As I look at the state of the Nebraska program, I can't help but wonder if the UCF 0-12 season in 2015 wasn't as bad as it's been made out to be.  Sure the record is as bad as it get's but look at the whole picture.  They had a head coaching change during the season.  They lost several close games and it looks like the wheels fell off at the end of the season.  The fact remains that in the previous 3 years (2012-2014) the program was 31-9 (77.5%) and won 2 of 3 bowls games.  One of those bowl games, was a Fiesta Bowl win over Baylor.  That year, the program finished the season #10 in the country.  The following year they were 9-4 and then went 0-12.

What's my point?...........

Nebraska has been in bad shape for close to a decade and went full dumpster fire under Riley.  This turnaround that SF is being asked to do is a far bigger project than UCF was.  Sure he more resources, but this in not the same scenario.  He's also competing at a higher level.  Most of the UCF players in the program when he took over knew how to win and compete before the 0-12 season.

It's about changing a culture.  Unfortunately that takes time.  In the whole scheme of things, I still don't think it's going to take long for them to compete for conference championships, but we're still going to have to take some lumps.    I have optimism for where this program is at at the end of the season.  I think most of us, me included, had the bar too high.  All along, I just wanted to see progress.  Given the fact that they tackle, I can say that I'm already satisfied.  We've seen strong progress in the box score in most categories (except penalties and turnovers...and score).  There's just something that makes me think these guys are going to win a couple of games that they are not even supposed to compete in.

He's done it before and he'll do it again, but this is a tougher turnaround than his last one.

GBR

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

As I look at the state of the Nebraska program, I can't help but wonder if the UCF 0-12 season in 2015 wasn't as bad as it's been made out to be.  Sure the record is as bad as it get's but look at the whole picture.  They had a head coaching change during the season.  They lost several close games and it looks like the wheels fell off at the end of the season.  The fact remains that in the previous 3 years (2012-2014) the program was 31-9 (77.5%) and won 2 of 3 bowls games.  One of those bowl games, was a Fiesta Bowl win over Baylor.  That year, the program finished the season #10 in the country.  The following year they were 9-4 and then went 0-12.

I too think UCF's prior success gets overlooked. Yes, they were 0-12 and 13-0 two years later is quite an accomplishment. To shed a bit more light on you comments, Here's what UCF did those prior years:

2012 - They played and lost on the C-USA conference championship

2013 - They switched conferences and were undefeated in conference play, winning the the AAC title outright

2014 - They lost a single conference game (The Civil Disagreement game) and were co champions