Why It's Not as Bad as It Feels

Mavric

Just now, irafreak said:

If I missed it, I apologize but has anyone looked at the amount of plays run per game at UCF compared to the past Riley teams?  I would think the more plays you run, the higher odds of committing turnovers.

Nebraska Plays per Game

2017 - 68

2016 - 71

UCF Plays per Game

2017 - 71

2016 - 75

• Fire 1

• 1 month later...

I saw Sam McKewon allude to this on Twitter just before the game on Saturday.  Finally got around to looking into it.

He noted that Saturday was the first time this year Nebraska had played a "green" QB.  The inference being the previsous QBs we've played had quite a bit of experience and, presumably, were less mistake-prone which allowed our opponents an advantage over the mistake-prone teams we were fielding. 

Here's the breakdown:

Colorado - Montez - Started a few games in 2016, full-time starter in 2017

Troy - Barker - Played sparingly in 2016 & 2017 but had a bunch of experience compared to our starter that day (no pun intended)

Michigan - Patterson - Started the last three games in 2016 and the first 7 games in 2017 (Ole Miss)

Purdue - Blough - Four-year starter

Wisconsin - Hornibrook - Played extensively in 2016, full-time starter in 2017

Northwestern - Thorson - Four-year starter

26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I saw Sam McKewon allude to this on Twitter just before the game on Saturday.  Finally got around to looking into it.

He noted that Saturday was the first time this year Nebraska had played a "green" QB.  The inference being the previsous QBs we've played had quite a bit of experience and, presumably, were less mistake-prone which allowed our opponents an advantage over the mistake-prone teams we were fielding. 

Here's the breakdown:

Colorado - Montez - Started a few games in 2016, full-time starter in 2017

Troy - Barker - Played sparingly in 2016 & 2017 but had a bunch of experience compared to our starter that day (no pun intended)

Michigan - Patterson - Started the last three games in 2016 and the first 7 games in 2017 (Ole Miss)

Purdue - Blough - Four-year starter

Wisconsin - Hornibrook - Played extensively in 2016, full-time starter in 2017

Northwestern - Thorson - Four-year starter

Important question: what’s normal?

We know our schedule is one of the toughest. How is our opposing QB experience compared to other teams?

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Important question: what’s normal?

We know our schedule is one of the toughest. How is our opposing QB experience compared to other teams?

Good point.  I have no idea.

If I were to guess, I would think the first three games were probably pretty average - mostly played against QBs that had started the previous year.

But I would think the last three games - two four-year starters and basically a three-year started - would be a fair amount above average.