Offensive line play

lo country

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The OP said hes pretty sure they weren't coached to do that sooooo

@Nebfanatic I'll own up.  What they have been taught (obviously a cut block) is not what was executed in the OP.   So I don't think laying in front of the DL is what Austin had in mind.   Being taught and being able to execute appear to be different. (Jaimes and Foster appeared successful)  The UCF clip shows a properly executed technique that was taught in as much as it is being taught at NU.  We just have a ways to go.

It could also be that Troy in year 4 under Brown, vs game 2 with Frost,  scouted us better and had their guys (year 4) better prepared than us....Frost even apologized to team after the game for not having them better prepared...

Bottom line, the clip in the OP showed so poor technique.....

I heard that Farmer was "benched" in the 4th Qtr and left the field as a result of being benched- it was also assumed that what SF said about players buying in or leaving was sort of aimed at him- all hear-say and speculation, but I'm wondering if Farmer did leave the field as a result of being benched 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

I heard that Farmer was "benched" in the 4th Qtr and left the field as a result of being benched- it was also assumed that what SF said about players buying in or leaving was sort of aimed at him- all hear-say and speculation, but I'm wondering if Farmer did leave the field as a result of being benched 

Didn't know he had been benched.  In the Wisky thread said their whole OL was benched a series for not getting it done. If Farmer was benched, good on Frost.  Too many years we have seen craptastic play with no repercussions in game or after.  Great to see (hope it does) guys getting benched or sat down.  I know Frost preaches no fear of failure (I like it), but not no fear of lack of effort......

To add, if he walked off the field while the game was still going on (without being told by staff), he would be gone if I was the HC.  

22 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

Pretty disappointing if true.  I've had high expectations for Farmer this year.  That may explain Coache's comments post game.  Come on Farmer.  We need you to do better.

• Plus1 2

In order to run these buttonhook type passes they have to respect that you might go deep, otherwise they'll just jump the pass for a pick 6. Seems like most plays Bunch had were around the LOS and they had no fear of losing containment. It would help to see if the whole picture showed no separation by the receiver and that Bunch was smart to hesitate, then run for his life.

31 minutes ago, lo country said:

@Nebfanatic I'll own up.  What they have been taught (obviously a cut block) is not what was executed in the OP.   So I don't think laying in front of the DL is what Austin had in mind.   Being taught and being able to execute appear to be different. (Jaimes and Foster appeared successful)  The UCF clip shows a properly executed technique that was taught in as much as it is being taught at NU.  We just have a ways to go.

It could also be that Troy in year 4 under Brown, vs game 2 with Frost,  scouted us better and had their guys (year 4) better prepared than us....Frost even apologized to team after the game for not having them better prepared...

Bottom line, the clip in the OP showed so poor technique.....

I agree but doing something you weren't told to do and not executing properly are 2 very different things. The clip makes it out like the line completely failed on that play and while they did they weren't that far off from what they were supposed to do. It can be fixed fairly easily whereas if this was just whifs and not intentional that would be alot more troubling

44 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I agree but doing something you weren't told to do and not executing properly are 2 very different things. The clip makes it out like the line completely failed on that play and while they did they weren't that far off from what they were supposed to do. It can be fixed fairly easily whereas if this was just whifs and not intentional that would be alot more troubling

Good point.  At least they tried what was asked of them.  I'm hoping it's a fairly easy fix, but I have settled into the reality this return to the top might take longer.  I'm ok with that.  Frost needs time.  We start getting out the pitchforks no one is ever coming here. (not saying folks are).

50 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

when I look at that clip- Farmer looks about as athletic as an arthritic tree sloth- almost defies gravity in how slow he falls- in contrast the UCF clip shows lineman making contact and looking quick

And Farniok just completely whiffs on his guy. That was probably the biggest problem for the play.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Except that he does.

Okay let me clarify...I am certain Coach Austin doesn't teach a technique where his lineman just flop to the ground.

As I understand them, cut blocks are best employed after a DL has fired off the line of scrimmage and has engaged the OL.

Regardless, whatever technique that is supposed to be, I'm 99% certain it was executed incorrectly.