Offensive line play

lo country

55 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Is it possible the reason why the OL played well against Colorado and not Troy was because the Troy defense was better than Colorado?

Possible, yes.   I think it's more likely - or at least a much larger contributor - that we were running from a very condensed playbook and Troy was taking advantage of that.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

In my unqualified opinion the should slide farmer to center and start wilson at guard. Farmer is just a better player and wilson is the future at guard so he needs experience. Depending on how the next couple of weeks go this season might not end up in a bowl game and it might be most beneficial for the future to get a young underclassmen starts over a under performing senior.

That can also be a good way to get guys that aren't ready for D1 injured and some injuries linger for up to 4 years.

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

That can also be a good way to get guys that aren't ready for D1 injured and some injuries linger for up to 4 years.

I would hope that redshirt freshman and sophomores at this point wouldn't be so unprepared and in terrible shape that it would be dangerous to put them out their. They've been with duvall as long as the upperclassmen have.

On 9/18/2018 at 9:39 AM, Undone said:

I would have liked to have seen outside pitches or quick throws to Washington. The big problem was multiple 3rd & shorts that we couldn't convert on. 

This I attribute to personnel decisions by the coaching staff. I dunno why we keep Ozigbo on the sideline when he's the best back in the stable we have to get you 2 or 3 hard yards. 

No, Ozigbo isn't going to break land-speed records and go streaking for a TD. But he'll get you those 2-3 consistently in heavy traffic, and he'll even break a 10-20 yard gain too...over and over again. And I would think using Ozigbo to break the will of opposing defenses would pay dividends, especially as we go through conference play. 

And yes, I get that this is an O-Line thread. But I don't think our 3rd and Short issues are purely on the O-Line. 

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

This I attribute to personnel decisions by the coaching staff. I dunno why we keep Ozigbo on the sideline when he's the best back in the stable we have to get you 2 or 3 hard yards. 

No, Ozigbo isn't going to break land-speed records and go streaking for a TD. But he'll get you those 2-3 consistently in heavy traffic, and he'll even break a 10-20 yard gain too...over and over again. And I would think using Ozigbo to break the will of opposing defenses would pay dividends, especially as we go through conference play. 

And yes, I get that this is an O-Line thread. But I don't think our 3rd and Short issues are purely on the O-Line. 

Disagree.  We don't have an offense built to play traditional smash mouth.  We tried to go smash mouth after Troy fumbled the punt to us inside their 10.  Ozigbo got two yards total on two carries.  

Give me Bell or Washington who can make a guy miss.

• Plus1 2

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Disagree.  We don't have an offense built to play traditional smash mouth.  We tried to go smash mouth after Troy fumbled the punt to us inside their 10.  Ozigbo got two yards total on two carries.  

Give me Bell or Washington who can make a guy miss.

I don't disagree with a new coach coming in and running his system from day one at the expense of short term success in favor of the long term benefit and SF has just the contract to allow such a move.  That said, when looking at all the seniors, size, and physical attributes of our O-line, what are your thoughts on the offense being the right fit for them this year. 

Seems to me this line is better suited for down hill run blocking than any line in the recent past.  We average 322 lbs up front, and have 3 seniors in the middle.  If there was ever a year to run downhill would seem to me this is the year and group to do it with.  

Should SF coach to the strength of his players this year over the long term goal of building his scheme and program success?  Well when the wins don't come us fans are inpatient and say no.  A few years from now when we're winning every game we'll have a different opinion.  Anyhow just curious what your take on our current O-line is in regards to being better suited for smash ball.

1 minute ago, LaunchCode said:

I don't disagree with a new coach coming in and running his system from day one at the expense of short term success in favor of the long term benefit and SF has just the contract to allow such a move.  That said, when looking at all the seniors, size, and physical attributes of our O-line, what are your thoughts on the offense being the right fit for them this year. 

Seems to me this line is better suited for down hill run blocking than any line in the recent past.  We average 322 lbs up front, and have 3 seniors in the middle.  If there was ever a year to run downhill would seem to me this is the year and group to do it with.  

Should SF coach to the strength of his players this year over the long term goal of building his scheme and program success?  Well when the wins don't come us fans are inpatient and say no.  A few years from now when we're winning every game we'll have a different opinion.  Anyhow just curious what your take on our current O-line is in regards to being better suited for smash ball.

I guess I don't really see it.  We haven't been much of a straight-ahead running team for some time.  Most of these guys - the interior guys anyway, plus Farniok - were recruited by Pelini when we ran an offense similar to what we run now.  But under Riley they spent most of their time working in Pro Style offense with a lot of pass blocking.  I don't think it's that they can't run block.  We ran the ball up and down the field on Colorado.  

People are taking too much about our offense from the Troy game where we were using an extremely limited playbook with a QB who was struggling to do much of anything.

• Plus1 1
On 9/16/2018 at 12:12 PM, Thanks_Tom RR said:

There is real potential at every other position on this Husker team, except OL, PR, and punter. I will make a bold prediction that a failure in progress for the Huskers over the next 5 years will be centered around a failure in progress from the OL. Frost's staff needs to be able to actually assess better OL recruits and bring them into the program.

I will say that I am not down on Jaimes. We are also hearing a lot about Wilson but just not seeing a lot of PT.

Well, considering our OL stinks and only one back-up is worthy of PT... Next year gone be rough, since we lose 3 "crappy" SR's.

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I don't really see it.  We haven't been much of a straight-ahead running team for some time.  Most of these guys - the interior guys anyway, plus Farniok - were recruited by Pelini when we ran an offense similar to what we run now.  But under Riley they spent most of their time working in Pro Style offense with a lot of pass blocking.  I don't think it's that they can't run block.  We ran the ball up and down the field on Colorado.  

People are taking too much about our offense from the Troy game where we were using an extremely limited playbook with a QB who was struggling to do much of anything.

I don't follow the recruiting as closely as you so surprised that Farniok (2016 recruiting class) was recruited by Pelini.