Distinguishing between Process and Product

I have upset friends and family with comments that I have made about the current Husker team.  I find myself extremely disappointed with the current product I see on the field in the last two games.  There are glimpses of good things, but many painful memories of Husker disasters of the past have also showed up in the games.  With the comments of Tanner Farmer, I guess the transition has not been as smooth as we would have hoped.  Bad habits are hard to break.

That being said, I am extremely confident in the process.  Unlike before where I felt I had to talk myself into believing the process, I no longer feel that way.  I trust the hands that this program is in and I feel we will at least get back to at least the shadow of the teams of the 90’s.  It may just take some time.  I have always been supportive of the football teams in the past.  I just think now we are in the right hands.  I see the anguish on Coach Frost’s face.  I feel he will keep this thing going in the right direction.  It just hasn’t happened yet….

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

And having an off-season of hearing all the right things and seeing some improvements in S&C, it was real easy to think that those bad habits were a thing of the past and the glory days were here again.  Big reminder that what has been sliding for 3, 5 or 10 years doesn't get fixed in one off-season.  GBR!

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I have upset friends and family with comments that I have made about the current Husker team.  I find myself extremely disappointed with the current product I see on the field in the last two games.  There are glimpses of good things, but many painful memories of Husker disasters of the past have also showed up in the games.  With the comments of Tanner Farmer, I guess the transition has not been as smooth as we would have hoped.  Bad habits are hard to break.

That being said, I am extremely confident in the process.  Unlike before where I felt I had to talk myself into believing the process, I no longer feel that way.  I trust the hands that this program is in and I feel we will at least get back to at least the shadow of the teams of the 90’s.  It may just take some time.  I have always been supportive of the football teams in the past.  I just think now we are in the right hands.  I see the anguish on Coach Frost’s face.  I feel he will keep this thing going in the right direction.  It just hasn’t happened yet….

Regarding the bold:   This is the look of passion, of ownership and accountability.  Those are traits that will get us over the top and all the way to the top... in due season.

We no longer have the 'aw shucks' "They were just a better team" from MR. (forget how he didn't develop players)  OR

the Bo favorite quote "THE PLAYERS didn't execute" (forget all of his failure to make adjustments)  OR

BC's "It is just one game and one season".  after he didn't try to win the Colorado game to get us bowl eligible at the end of season 1 (sure sign that he still had the NFL mindset and not a college mindset).  

Personally, I for once feel we have the mindset with the Coaches that will get us back to where we belong and a whole system's approach in which everyone is in agreement - we don't have conflicts between D and O or a unknown identity on offense.  This extends to the top with the AD and the Admin as well - we are all pulling in the same direction without admin or the AD undercutting what we are trying to do wt the football program.   They no longer see it as a 'bigger than the Univ' threat but as a huge window to view the Univ through.  If football looks good then the U will look good.

18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Regarding the bold:   This is the look of passion, of ownership and accountability.  Those are traits that will get us over the top and all the way to the top... in due season.

We no longer have the 'aw shucks' "They were just a better team" from MR. (forget how he didn't develop players)  OR

the Bo favorite quote "THE PLAYERS didn't execute" (forget all of his failure to make adjustments)  OR

BC's "It is just one game and one season".  after he didn't try to win the Colorado game to get us bowl eligible at the end of season 1 (sure sign that he still had the NFL mindset and not a college mindset).  

Personally, I for once feel we have the mindset with the Coaches that will get us back to where we belong and a whole system's approach in which everyone is in agreement - we don't have conflicts between D and O or a unknown identity on offense.  This extends to the top with the AD and the Admin as well - we are all pulling in the same direction without admin or the AD undercutting what we are trying to do wt the football program.   They no longer see it as a 'bigger than the Univ' threat but as a huge window to view the Univ through.  If football looks good then the U will look good.

Respectively disagree TG.  I am BEYOND tired of the coach speak, and I'm ready to see it on the field. 

Still a big supporter of Scott Frost, but I'm really tired of these "intangibles" i.e. a "look of passion" being touted as the way of getting us there.

Also, Bo's quote is very similar to Frost's "Giving up 3rd and 19s is a good way to get beat, Giving up holding calls is a good way to get beat" etc.  Almost all coaches say something like this to answer press conference questions.  Just the way the game is played so to speak.

• Plus1 2

The current product has so far been indistinguishable from the product of the last 20 years (Yes, I know it's only been 2 games. Relax). Undisciplined play, dumb penalties, turnovers and woulda shoulda coulda conversations is the Nebraska I know. To me, this is what Nebraska football has almost always been. I was born in the late 80s, so a chunk of the 90s is a foggy memory at best. With every passing year, dominant Nebraska football sounds more and more like the musings of an elderly relative talking about how great the motherland was. 

Perhaps Scott and his process turns it around, perhaps not. I believed in Bill's process, I believed in Bo's process and I (sort of) believed in Riley's process. It's hard to go down that road again, especially when everything looks the same. That being said, I hope he does turn things around and I have confidence he has things trending the right way.