Nebraska vs. Michigan ..... in 1997

Mavric

1 hour ago, Fru said:

NU smoked a team with Jamal Lewis, Peerless Price, a slew of other NFL pro bowlers, oh and some guy named Peyton Manning.

UM barely squeaked out a controversial win over a team whose best player was Ryan Leaf. 

How this is even a debate is baffling. 

Well because as Michigan had Heisman winner Charles Woodson who with all his interceptions would have shut us down. Even tho we probably threw the ball about 5 times a game

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

I live 15 minutes from the Big House so I keep this handy when discussing 1997

Offense   Defense
  Total Scoring Rushing Passing   Total Scoring Rushing Passing
Nebraska 1 1 1 104!   5 12 3 28
Michigan 44 44 28 63   1 1 7 1
Washington State 2 2 48 4   30 59 27 59
Tennessee 4 14 52 6   32 32 8 96
  • Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

I don’t care what any meatchicken players or fans say, in 1997 Nebraska would’ve taken them behind the woodshed very similarly to how they did Tennessee. I gambled and paid very close attention to CFB that year and really it wouldn’t have been much of a contest. It would’ve been about 38 to 14. Fact :thumbs

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I think the Husker D would have absolutely shut down that Michigan O.  That in itself is a very bad sign for Michigan.  Yes they had a Really good defense but on the balance I think Nebraska wins that And the more times they play, the more often Nebraska wins.  Woodson would not have loved that Steady dose of Frost and PIPELINE 2.0

I think Nebraska would have won but Nebraska fans ignore these facts:

Michigan played the toughest schedule and played 6 top 25 teams.

Michigan beat Colorado 30 to 3 that year, we beat them 27 to 24 

We all talk about how we played a far superior team in the bowl game (which we did) yet we ignore that we had a common opponent in which Michigan beat them by 4 scores while we only beat them by 1.  

If a Michigan fan were to bring up these points then what would your rebuttal be besides the one bowl game?  

21 hours ago, nic said:

Conjecture all you want, but you have to play the game. Ask BYU and Wisconsin.

I am sorry, but in what universe ever is BYU a guaranteed W for any Big 10 team not named Ohio St?   

That is a real program and has been since the 1980's.  I am betting that BYU over the years has pissed off more Big 10 dads than Toyota.

6 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

I think Nebraska would have won but Nebraska fans ignore these facts:

Michigan played the toughest schedule and played 6 top 25 teams.

Michigan beat Colorado 30 to 3 that year, we beat them 27 to 24 

We all talk about how we played a far superior team in the bowl game (which we did) yet we ignore that we had a common opponent in which Michigan beat them by 4 scores while we only beat them by 1.  

If a Michigan fan were to bring up these points then what would your rebuttal be besides the one bowl game?  

Well that is pretty easy actually.  College football is all about emotion.  Has been since it started.  Colorado/Nebraska dating back to early days was always a highly contested rivalry.  And so was Missouri for that matter.  A 14-7 NU victory over Colorado or something similar was common.  So Colorado surely had less fear of Nebraska, more familiarity, and more motivation.  Rivalries count.  And we won it.   Now what was the Michigan tOSU score that year?  How bad would Nebraska have beat them?

20 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Well that is pretty easy actually.  College football is all about emotion.  Has been since it started.  Colorado/Nebraska dating back to early days was always a highly contested rivalry.  And so was Missouri for that matter.  A 14-7 NU victory over Colorado or something similar was common.  So Colorado surely had less fear of Nebraska, more familiarity, and more motivation.  Rivalries count.  And we won it.   Now what was the Michigan tOSU score that year?  How bad would Nebraska have beat them?

Besides the bowl game what do we have over Michigan? They beat more ranked teams, whooped a common opponent, tougher conference, etc.  The only thing we bring up is the bowl game.