Husker Road Games Attended

Tomorrow we head out for Michigan so since I am giving my classes busy work today I thought I would post my recaps of Big Ten Roadies...

I will rank them from worst to first.

5.  Minnesota:  Tailgating was really spread out and the bar scene was lame.  One native told us that everyone hits up the Buffalo Wild Wings by the stadium, that was a bad sign.  We found a cool place "Stub and Herbs" but other than that it sucked.  I would not go back.

4.  Northwestern:  This is a tough one because people like to consider this a Chicago trip but I don't.  Evanston is lame and the bars don't even open up until 11 (maybe noon) what saved this trip was the Blur Tailgate.  We all bought the cheap pass for Blue but they gave me the VIP wristband by accident and that meant all food and drinks were free.

3.  Wisconsin:  Call me crazy but I was not as impressed as I thought I would be...maybe the expectations were too high?  I don't know.  The tailgating was sort of odd with a lot of small lots.  The bars were a blast though.

2.  Illinois:  The Grange Grove will end up being a really cool thing...and you can bring kegs to your tailgate spot.  The bar scene is great and they are basically on campus which was awesome.

1.  Purdue:  The Breakfast Club thing is outstanding.  College kids hit up the bars at like 5am dressed up in costumes and party hard.  The stuff is a little spread out but not bad.  Had a great freaking time.

Where Michigan falls...I am guessing it will be better than Minny and maybe NW.

• Plus1 1

1987 @ Colorado - It was cold, I was young

1998 vs. Oklahoma State @ Arrowhead - It took me five games to fall off the Frank bandwagon.  Our offense was terrible.  Our defense had to bail them out.  Basically the story of the Solich era.

1999 @ Missouri - Lil Red got beat up by Missouri students; Drunk Missou students paraded out all second half

2001 @ Missouri - Crouch goes coast to coast in a romp

2003 @ Kansas - Pretty ho-hum game in a ho-hum stadium.  Did get to visit the Phog though so that was cool.

Edit: 5-0, just sayin'

Edited by Mavric
Added Record
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Tomorrow we head out for Michigan so since I am giving my classes busy work today I thought I would post my recaps of Big Ten Roadies...

I will rank them from worst to first.

5.  Minnesota:  Tailgating was really spread out and the bar scene was lame.  One native told us that everyone hits up the Buffalo Wild Wings by the stadium, that was a bad sign.  We found a cool place "Stub and Herbs" but other than that it sucked.  I would not go back.

4.  Northwestern:  This is a tough one because people like to consider this a Chicago trip but I don't.  Evanston is lame and the bars don't even open up until 11 (maybe noon) what saved this trip was the Blur Tailgate.  We all bought the cheap pass for Blue but they gave me the VIP wristband by accident and that meant all food and drinks were free.

3.  Wisconsin:  Call me crazy but I was not as impressed as I thought I would be...maybe the expectations were too high?  I don't know.  The tailgating was sort of odd with a lot of small lots.  The bars were a blast though.

2.  Illinois:  The Grange Grove will end up being a really cool thing...and you can bring kegs to your tailgate spot.  The bar scene is great and they are basically on campus which was awesome.

1.  Purdue:  The Breakfast Club thing is outstanding.  College kids hit up the bars at like 5am dressed up in costumes and party hard.  The stuff is a little spread out but not bad.  Had a great freaking time.

Where Michigan falls...I am guessing it will be better than Minny and maybe NW.

Where are you thinking next year? Maybe my crew will meet up with you and your crew?

Road games I’ve attended.

1981 Oklahoma State in Stillwater. This one is kind of a stretch. We went on our pledge sneak to Tulsa planning to head over to Stillwater and catch the game on Saturday. A few guys did but most of us got way to drunk in Tulsa on Friday night and couldn’t make the game. Ended up watching this one on TV in a bar in Tulsa. I don’t remember much from that weekend other than the Heineken beer.

1982 Auburn. Had a really good time on the trip and at Auburn. Huskers destroyed the Auburn team and Bo Jackson 41-7. Probably the most hostile stadium environment for visiting fans I’ve ever been to. Well not probably, it was.

1986 thru 2009 Virtually every game at Folsom Field in Boulder. Usually had a good time other than the debacle in 2001 and the year it ended in a 19-19 tie and was cold as balls. Always a good time pregaming at the Harvest House.

1997 Washington in Seattle. Another Husker victory directed by HCSF. Trip notes....got pretty messed up drinking in the rotating restaurant at the top of the Space Needle. I got up to go to the bathroom and when I returned had to walk around the entire thing a couple times to find our table. The “friends” I was with saw me walk by the table twice :lol:  And we took over the Huskies favorite pregame bar near the stadium before the lazy louts were even out of bed. They looked so pathetic walking up in all their purple only to see “their” bar full of Husker red. This was the loudest stadium I’ve ever been to. Something about those metal roofs jutting out from the sides and that damn siren.

1998 Orange Bowl vs Tennessee. Had an absolute blast. Huskers win the Natty and TO’s last game. Really enjoyed the Volunteers fans. Good people. Loved it when they sang Rocky Top.

2000 Notre Dame in South Bend. Went with mostly the same group as went to 97 Washington. Another great trip.  Visited the CFB hall of fame and the red horde again took over one of the locals pregame bars. We actually ran them out of a couple popular brands of beer. I’ve figured out not all places tend to pregame like Husker fans do. And then that hallowed stadium turned red with touchdown Jesus in the background. It was special.

My desire to attend road games was severely curtailed after the sickening 2001 debacle in Boulder and by the Callahan-Pelini-Riley era of mediocrity. Looking forward to once again hitting up some away games. Really want to get to Madison, Ann Arbor and Columbus.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Not totally sure.  Colorado might be the pick but I would sort of like to keep it in the Big Ten for right now.  But with the way next years schedule sets up it might be the CU game.

Colorado would make a lot of sense for us next year - it's closer than Lincoln.  But it would appear that my daughter will have a volleyball tournament that day (she did this year but isn't playing varsity yet) so ........

Only been to one away game. @ UCLA a few years ago. I went by myself because the main reason I was there was to visit a friend who has no interest in football. Sat by a couple gay guys in the home section. They lived in California but one of them was born in Nebraska and the other one knew nothing at all about football. It was fun. Until the last 2 mins of the game.