Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HuskerNation1

Rough 2018 start...Impact on Recruiting

Recommended Posts

With the horrific start to the 2018 season, I am curious what impact this will have (if any) on our recruiting success for the 2019 class.  Do we lose any potential commits?   Will some prospects that were trending our way go elsewhere?  Things have been rather quiet on the recruiting front outside of Hickman's commitment.

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

With the horrific start to the 2018 season, I am curious what impact this will have (if any) on our recruiting success for the 2019 class.  Do we lose any potential commits?   Will some prospects that were trending our way go elsewhere?  Things have been rather quiet on the recruiting front outside of Hickman's commitment.

 

Thoughts?

Not necessarily. It might help actually, because they have a better chance to make an impact right away.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Murphinator said:

Not necessarily. It might help actually, because they have a better chance to make an impact right away.

 

I like your optimistic way of thinking.  I do think Nebraska has been so bad for so long though that some recruits might question if even Frost can right the ship.  It's not as though we lost a close game today.  We were outdone in every single way you can be outdone. The players gave up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

 

I like your optimistic way of thinking.  I do think Nebraska has been so bad for so long though that some recruits might question if even Frost can right the ship.  It's not as though we lost a close game today.  We were outdone in every single way you can be outdone. The players gave up.

Of course, some recruits will question the direction the program is going and decide to look at other schools. It is up to Frost to find the guys that believe in the future of the program and get those guys on campus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Of course, some recruits will questions the direction the program is going and decide to look at other schools. It is up to Frost to find the guys that believe in the future of the program and get those guys on campus.

 

Yes I completely agree.  In my mind the fact that we have to go and seek out guys that are willing to believe in the future of the program already narrows down the pool of prospects.  All recruits are interested when a team is ranked and winning.  When a team is winless and appears poorly coached, it's a much more difficult task.  Held has been awesome and hopefully can pull some good names these final few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like in the past we've heard recruits talk about wanting to be of a revival. So, I think one season won't hurt, but two in a row might. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hope the recruits can look past the horrible start and realize just how BADLY we need them here, especially linemen and DB's.  Those linemen and DB's will be able to start day 1 since we are basically building from the ground up for the most part.  Frost is the man to turn it around but we desperately need his recruits in the system for it to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're a 4-5 star player being heavily recruited, you likely think you can go to any team and contribute right away.  At least you should think that way.

 

The fact that we have consistently been in the mid 20's to 30's on average every year for the last 15 and we have had different records tells me it doesn't really matter one way or the other what the record is.  It matters if the players believe the coach can get them where they want to be.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 6:22 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

With the horrific start to the 2018 season, I am curious what impact this will have (if any) on our recruiting success for the 2019 class.  Do we lose any potential commits?   Will some prospects that were trending our way go elsewhere?  Things have been rather quiet on the recruiting front outside of Hickman's commitment.

 

Thoughts?

I dont think so. While it is frustrating for fans, I think the coaches can spin it.

 

Now if its the same deal year 3, then you lose on a few kids.

 

I would much prefer being 3-0 but I think they can still spin this as a work in progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had hopes that we could ride the momentum of Frost's UCF glory to pull in some good recruits which would help kickstart the revival.  The only thing the current players had to do was put in a respectable performance this year.  Instead their little s#!tshow has convinced an existing player to question his decision.  Yes, this will impact recruiting.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I had hopes that we could ride the momentum of Frost's UCF glory to pull in some good recruits which would help kickstart the revival.  The only thing the current players had to do was put in a respectable performance this year.  Instead their little s#!tshow has convinced an existing player to question his decision.  Yes, this will impact recruiting.

You don’t know for a fact he’s questioning anything and it’s irresponsible to say something like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I had hopes that we could ride the momentum of Frost's UCF glory to pull in some good recruits which would help kickstart the revival.  The only thing the current players had to do was put in a respectable performance this year.  Instead their little s#!tshow has convinced an existing player to question his decision.  Yes, this will impact recruiting.

Who is the existing player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

You don’t know for a fact he’s questioning anything and it’s irresponsible to say something like that

I know it's just a rumor but it's a totally believable rumor.

 

I can't imagine how headlines like this help recruiting

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24784575/nebraska-cornhuskers-fans-hope-really-bottom

The longer the players continue to drag the program along the bottom, more damage will be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I had hopes that we could ride the momentum of Frost's UCF glory to pull in some good recruits which would help kickstart the revival.  The only thing the current players had to do was put in a respectable performance this year.  Instead their little s#!tshow has convinced an existing player to question his decision.  Yes, this will impact recruiting.

 

Complete fabrication but good work.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will effect 2020 more than 2019 but I don't think it makes a big difference in the long run. Lets see how we look in the last couple of games and into next year. 2019 is already pretty filled up and if we finish this year strong and start off next year hot 2020 should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

 

Complete fabrication but good work.

I didn’t start the rumor and my point still stands. We need to show improvement and leave no doubt in a recruit’s mind that Frost can turn this program around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I didn’t start the rumor and my point still stands. We need to show improvement and leave no doubt in a recruit’s mind that Frost can turn this program around.

 

You perpetuated the rumor and it doesn't stand - it's been shown to be false.

  • Plus1 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Big missed opportunity here. Thread title should be "Nebraska sucks... who can we steal". 

This should get unlimited +1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta think it does. Jameson Williams has ohio state in the lead with a commitment coming this friday. Gotta think its to ohio state- he loves how their offense looks. We are not showing an accurate depiction of what our offense will look like in the future so of course we are at a disadvantage. 

 

Wandale is visiting ohio state this weekend and wiltfong put in a CB. So might lose him to the damn urban liars.

 

Mayo cancelled his visit this weekend to take the ACT. 

 

What visitors do we have this weekend?

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I gotta think it does. Jameson Williams has ohio state in the lead with a commitment coming this friday. Gotta think its to ohio state- he loves how their offense looks. We are not showing an accurate depiction of what our offense will look like in the future so of course we are at a disadvantage. 

 

Wandale is visiting ohio state this weekend and wiltfong put in a CB. So might lose him to the damn urban liars.

 

Mayo cancelled his visit this weekend to take the ACT. 

 

What visitors do we have this weekend?

Purdue - they are talented

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 11:46 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

I gotta think it does. Jameson Williams has ohio state in the lead with a commitment coming this friday. Gotta think its to ohio state- he loves how their offense looks. We are not showing an accurate depiction of what our offense will look like in the future so of course we are at a disadvantage. 

 

Wandale is visiting ohio state this weekend and wiltfong put in a CB. So might lose him to the damn urban liars.

 

Mayo cancelled his visit this weekend to take the ACT. 

 

What visitors do we have this weekend?

Even before the season started with all of the hype surrounding Frost, very few, if any at all, experts were predicting Robinson or Williams to commit to Nebraska anyway.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With this season going from bad to worse and setting records in a way nobody would like, I am curious how recruits are looking at Nebraska and this new staff. The positive buzz from their magical 2017 season at UCF has worn off after Nebraskas worse start to a season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 8:00 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

With this season going from bad to worse and setting records in a way nobody would like, I am curious how recruits are looking at Nebraska and this new staff. The positive buzz from their magical 2017 season at UCF has worn off after Nebraskas worse start to a season. 

0-6 and about to be 0-7 isn't a good look no matter what. Recruits don't care for moral victories. The ones who are solid will stay, but look for a few to get poached here soon. Bland and Newsome come to mind. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

0-6 and about to be 0-7 isn't a good look no matter what. Recruits don't care for moral victories. The ones who are solid will stay, but look for a few to get poached here soon. Bland and Newsome come to mind. 

Agree. We need to start winning and look good doing it to start some momentum that things are starting to take hold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sense a lot of mid to low 3 star players are going to finish out this class.   And that isn't really going to help us anytime soon.

 

 

 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also wonder how much not having a bye week will affect recruiting. That seems like a serious disadvantage right now. The staff worked wonders after the season ended last year picking up guys who didn’t sign early so hopefully they have that chance again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Caliborn72 said:

I also wonder how much not having a bye week will affect recruiting. That seems like a serious disadvantage right now. The staff worked wonders after the season ended last year picking up guys who didn’t sign early so hopefully they have that chance again.

It could be a toss up

 

On one hand, coaches normally use the bye week to go out and recruit.  So they won't be able to do that now.

 

On the other hand, they can use the game for OV's.  Which might lead to something.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I sense a lot of mid to low 3 star players are going to finish out this class.   And that isn't really going to help us anytime soon.

 

 

 

Agreed. This disaster of a season is gonna keep on giving here soon. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ziebol said:

Agreed. This disaster of a season is gonna keep on giving here soon. 

What will happen is we will fill the class of 25+3.  But only the top 25 will count for the recruiting rankings.  So, by default, we will have a top 19-25 class.  And people will think it's wonderful.  When, in fact, it will be just more of the same.

 

 

I really hope I'm wrong here.  But it's setting up like this

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

What will happen is we will fill the class of 25+3.  But only the top 25 will count for the recruiting rankings.  So, by default, we will have a top 19-25 class.  And people will think it's wonderful.  When, in fact, it will be just more of the same.

 

 

I really hope I'm wrong here.  But it's setting up like this

I completely agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It could be a toss up

 

On one hand, coaches normally use the bye week to go out and recruit.  So they won't be able to do that now.

 

On the other hand, they can use the game for OV's.  Which might lead to something.

Word on street was don't look for BC game to have any/many OV's due to potential lessor atmosphere. But at this point they better get recruits here any time they can. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 5:22 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

With the horrific start to the 2018 season, I am curious what impact this will have (if any) on our recruiting success for the 2019 class.  Do we lose any potential commits?   Will some prospects that were trending our way go elsewhere?  Things have been rather quiet on the recruiting front outside of Hickman's commitment.

 

Thoughts?

 To the big time recruits: Benhart, Ike, Robinson, Robinson, Washington, etc....absolutely. 

 

We'll fill the class, but not like we could have. 

 

Programs will come chase our committed studs soon. Thankfully two of the bigger ones are in state and all N. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Warrior10 said:

Word on street was don't look for BC game to have any/many OV's due to potential lessor atmosphere. But at this point they better get recruits here any time they can. 

Well if they can't go out and recruit and they aren't going to host many or any players, this game looks pointless on several levels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

What will happen is we will fill the class of 25+3.  But only the top 25 will count for the recruiting rankings.  So, by default, we will have a top 19-25 class.  And people will think it's wonderful.  When, in fact, it will be just more of the same.

 

 

I really hope I'm wrong here.  But it's setting up like this

The idea is to get bodies in here that want to work and push the other guys. To take spots from the Lamar Jackson's of the world. Guys who can actually learn from mistakes, not make them again, and start winning football games. Then get 4/5* guys on board to fill out roster once momentum is building.

 

I would take a class of 28 slightly lower rated kids with the proper mindset/work ethic and go from there.

 

But hey, even if the class is rated #19 due to size, kids will still see that as "they still had a top 20 class at 3-9!" Something going on there...

 

Next year, wins start coming, offense is top 20, things should snow ball in recruiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, runningblind said:

The idea is to get bodies in here that want to work and push the other guys. To take spots from the Lamar Jackson's of the world. Guys who can actually learn from mistakes, not make them again, and start winning football games. Then get 4/5* guys on board to fill out roster once momentum is building.

 

I would take a class of 28 slightly lower rated kids with the proper mindset/work ethic and go from there.

 

But hey, even if the class is rated #19 due to size, kids will still see that as "they still had a top 20 class at 3-9!" Something going on there...

 

Next year, wins start coming, offense is top 20, things should snow ball in recruiting.

 

The idea is to get players rated like Lamar Jackson to play better.  

 

You don't get 4-5 star players to "fill out a roster" if you want to win big.  

 

I know you would take 28 lower rated kids.  But the coaches said there is a deficiency in talent.  The best talent isn't rated 85 and below

 

No one highly ranked is going to look at this class if it goes the way we're discussing and think that

 

I'll believe the hype when I see it.  It's sputtering to almost a complete shut down.  

 

  • Plus1 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Well if they can't go out and recruit and they aren't going to host many or any players, this game looks pointless on several levels

My personal opinion is we were trying to guarantee bowl game eligibility and that has since gone out the window. 

 

There was talk of a possible walk on event for the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Word on street was don't look for BC game to have any/many OV's due to potential lessor atmosphere. But at this point they better get recruits here any time they can. 

 

Also, we never get nearly as many kids in for an 11AM kickoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

 

Also, we never get nearly as many kids in for an 11AM kickoff

Yup, now that 11am is set OV's are very unlikely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

Yup, now that 11am is set OV's are very unlikely. 

 

And, thus, the reason they are planning to do more of a walk-on weekend.

 

Not really all that funny.  Pretty practical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

 

And, thus, the reason they are planning to do more of a walk-on weekend.

 

Not really all that funny.  Pretty practical.

I don't disagree with the approach. Get the OV kids here for Minny and Illi/MSU if those are later games. 

 

The walk on day for BC could actually be a useful usage of an otherwise wasted recruiting opportunity.

 

Unless a kid like Wandale says I can only make it for BC, then you roll out the carpet. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Unless a kid like Wandale says I can only make it for BC, then you roll out the carpet. 

 

Absolutely.  Don't turn away anyone who wants to come.  But don't expect much either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×