Rough 2018 start...Impact on Recruiting

6 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

With the horrific start to the 2018 season, I am curious what impact this will have (if any) on our recruiting success for the 2019 class.  Do we lose any potential commits?   Will some prospects that were trending our way go elsewhere?  Things have been rather quiet on the recruiting front outside of Hickman's commitment.

Thoughts?

Not necessarily. It might help actually, because they have a better chance to make an impact right away.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, The Murphinator said:

Not necessarily. It might help actually, because they have a better chance to make an impact right away.

I like your optimistic way of thinking.  I do think Nebraska has been so bad for so long though that some recruits might question if even Frost can right the ship.  It's not as though we lost a close game today.  We were outdone in every single way you can be outdone. The players gave up.

33 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I like your optimistic way of thinking.  I do think Nebraska has been so bad for so long though that some recruits might question if even Frost can right the ship.  It's not as though we lost a close game today.  We were outdone in every single way you can be outdone. The players gave up.

Of course, some recruits will question the direction the program is going and decide to look at other schools. It is up to Frost to find the guys that believe in the future of the program and get those guys on campus.

2 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Of course, some recruits will questions the direction the program is going and decide to look at other schools. It is up to Frost to find the guys that believe in the future of the program and get those guys on campus.

Yes I completely agree.  In my mind the fact that we have to go and seek out guys that are willing to believe in the future of the program already narrows down the pool of prospects.  All recruits are interested when a team is ranked and winning.  When a team is winless and appears poorly coached, it's a much more difficult task.  Held has been awesome and hopefully can pull some good names these final few months.

Really hope the recruits can look past the horrible start and realize just how BADLY we need them here, especially linemen and DB's.  Those linemen and DB's will be able to start day 1 since we are basically building from the ground up for the most part.  Frost is the man to turn it around but we desperately need his recruits in the system for it to work.

If you're a 4-5 star player being heavily recruited, you likely think you can go to any team and contribute right away.  At least you should think that way.

The fact that we have consistently been in the mid 20's to 30's on average every year for the last 15 and we have had different records tells me it doesn't really matter one way or the other what the record is.  It matters if the players believe the coach can get them where they want to be.

• Plus1 2
On 9/22/2018 at 6:22 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

With the horrific start to the 2018 season, I am curious what impact this will have (if any) on our recruiting success for the 2019 class.  Do we lose any potential commits?   Will some prospects that were trending our way go elsewhere?  Things have been rather quiet on the recruiting front outside of Hickman's commitment.

Thoughts?

I dont think so. While it is frustrating for fans, I think the coaches can spin it.

Now if its the same deal year 3, then you lose on a few kids.

I would much prefer being 3-0 but I think they can still spin this as a work in progress.

I had hopes that we could ride the momentum of Frost's UCF glory to pull in some good recruits which would help kickstart the revival.  The only thing the current players had to do was put in a respectable performance this year.  Instead their little s#!tshow has convinced an existing player to question his decision.  Yes, this will impact recruiting.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I had hopes that we could ride the momentum of Frost's UCF glory to pull in some good recruits which would help kickstart the revival.  The only thing the current players had to do was put in a respectable performance this year.  Instead their little s#!tshow has convinced an existing player to question his decision.  Yes, this will impact recruiting.

You don’t know for a fact he’s questioning anything and it’s irresponsible to say something like that

3 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Who is the existing player

13 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

You don’t know for a fact he’s questioning anything and it’s irresponsible to say something like that

I know it's just a rumor but it's a totally believable rumor.

I can't imagine how headlines like this help recruiting

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24784575/nebraska-cornhuskers-fans-hope-really-bottom

The longer the players continue to drag the program along the bottom, more damage will be done.

21 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Complete fabrication but good work.

• Thanks 1