Rough 2018 start...Impact on Recruiting

Just now, Ziebol said:

Agreed. This disaster of a season is gonna keep on giving here soon. 

What will happen is we will fill the class of 25+3.  But only the top 25 will count for the recruiting rankings.  So, by default, we will have a top 19-25 class.  And people will think it's wonderful.  When, in fact, it will be just more of the same.

I really hope I'm wrong here.  But it's setting up like this

• Plus1 2

31 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

What will happen is we will fill the class of 25+3.  But only the top 25 will count for the recruiting rankings.  So, by default, we will have a top 19-25 class.  And people will think it's wonderful.  When, in fact, it will be just more of the same.

I completely agree. 

48 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It could be a toss up

On one hand, coaches normally use the bye week to go out and recruit.  So they won't be able to do that now.

On the other hand, they can use the game for OV's.  Which might lead to something.

Word on street was don't look for BC game to have any/many OV's due to potential lessor atmosphere. But at this point they better get recruits here any time they can. 

• Plus1 1
On 9/22/2018 at 5:22 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

With the horrific start to the 2018 season, I am curious what impact this will have (if any) on our recruiting success for the 2019 class.  Do we lose any potential commits?   Will some prospects that were trending our way go elsewhere?  Things have been rather quiet on the recruiting front outside of Hickman's commitment.

Thoughts?

To the big time recruits: Benhart, Ike, Robinson, Robinson, Washington, etc....absolutely. 

We'll fill the class, but not like we could have. 

Programs will come chase our committed studs soon. Thankfully two of the bigger ones are in state and all N. 

41 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The idea is to get bodies in here that want to work and push the other guys. To take spots from the Lamar Jackson's of the world. Guys who can actually learn from mistakes, not make them again, and start winning football games. Then get 4/5* guys on board to fill out roster once momentum is building.

I would take a class of 28 slightly lower rated kids with the proper mindset/work ethic and go from there.

But hey, even if the class is rated #19 due to size, kids will still see that as "they still had a top 20 class at 3-9!" Something going on there...

Next year, wins start coming, offense is top 20, things should snow ball in recruiting.

Just now, runningblind said:

The idea is to get bodies in here that want to work and push the other guys. To take spots from the Lamar Jackson's of the world. Guys who can actually learn from mistakes, not make them again, and start winning football games. Then get 4/5* guys on board to fill out roster once momentum is building.

I would take a class of 28 slightly lower rated kids with the proper mindset/work ethic and go from there.

But hey, even if the class is rated #19 due to size, kids will still see that as "they still had a top 20 class at 3-9!" Something going on there...

Next year, wins start coming, offense is top 20, things should snow ball in recruiting.

The idea is to get players rated like Lamar Jackson to play better.  

You don't get 4-5 star players to "fill out a roster" if you want to win big.  

I know you would take 28 lower rated kids.  But the coaches said there is a deficiency in talent.  The best talent isn't rated 85 and below

No one highly ranked is going to look at this class if it goes the way we're discussing and think that

I'll believe the hype when I see it.  It's sputtering to almost a complete shut down.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Well if they can't go out and recruit and they aren't going to host many or any players, this game looks pointless on several levels

My personal opinion is we were trying to guarantee bowl game eligibility and that has since gone out the window. 

There was talk of a possible walk on event for the game. 

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And, thus, the reason they are planning to do more of a walk-on weekend.

Not really all that funny.  Pretty practical.

I don't disagree with the approach. Get the OV kids here for Minny and Illi/MSU if those are later games. 

The walk on day for BC could actually be a useful usage of an otherwise wasted recruiting opportunity.

Unless a kid like Wandale says I can only make it for BC, then you roll out the carpet. 

• Plus1 1