Offensive Line

- The loss of Michael Decker cannot be overstated. He would have locked down the C position and made all the proper line calls. 

- Foster needs to be relegated to a backup-spot role. Sharp and Benning were espousing yesterday about how, had the new staff been here 4 years ago, he might not have been recruited.  

- Pray to whomever deity you worship that this staff can reel in Benhart. He'd start at RT next year, allowing Farniok to move inside to guard and letting Wilson slide to LG. 

- I think it would be a mistake to move Jurgens to OL, as I've been on the "LB is his best position" train for awhile, but if its best for the team, move him now. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I don't even have words for this. We had 6 guys to block three and 1 M player bailed out and the other 2 got to the QB. Conrad and Foster should be benched for this play alone.

But, but *sob*, NFL players! *sob*.  It looks like our RB is trying to keep our OL upright rather than blocking someone.

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I don't even have words for this. We had 6 guys to block three and 1 M player bailed out and the other 2 got to the QB. Conrad and Foster should be benched for this play alone.

I'm not defending Foster (per se), but Conrad was probably supposed to be right there for help and Foster assumed he would be. He most likely thought he was handing the defensive player off to the center and then...he wasn't. Either way, the play did not look good.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Day by Day said:

I'm not defending Foster (per se), but Conrad was probably supposed to be right there for help and Foster assumed he would be. He most likely thought he was handing the defensive player off to the center and then...he wasn't. Either way, the play did not look good.

If that is what he thought, then it shows a HUGE breakdown in communication.  Which is whole other issue with the OL

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

I watched this on the replay and couldn't help but LOL counting numbers and wondering what was the protection call.

Austin should be both embarrassed and walking someone to the bench after that. It looked like a division II play.

We've gotta exercise these Cavanaugh demons somehow.

Yes it looks like they only had 3 guys coming. We had 5 OL and Ozibgo. 3 on 6. 2 got through. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

I watched this on the replay and couldn't help but LOL counting numbers and wondering what was the protection call.

Austin should be both embarrassed and walking someone to the bench after that. It looked like a division II play.

We've gotta exercise these Cavanaugh demons somehow.

it is pretty simple, They know it is a rollout to the left, the line should be working to the left. Conrad was suppose to pickup the man foster passed off and instead decided that he was good and they all did nothing for a play. This is why I have continuously said Conrad is our weakest link. This year and last. He isnt a terrible lineman but he isnt a good center. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let's not forget to point out the RB totally whiffed too.

Yeah.

It's a really nicely drawn up play from Frost. Our slot man (probably Spielman? I can't see from the small gif) gets wide open downfield in an out route as our tight end and wideout suck guys into the interior of the flat.

Coach Frost obviously must improve the line play, primarily the Offensive Line.  He cannot coach up the current crew....they are what they are.  I want to see him study other schools in the Big Ten and see what can be learned about depth, conditioning, and recruiting.  Tom Osborne got help from Florida State's coach, Bobby Bowden in the 90's concerning speed in the defensive backfield, took his advice,  and subsequently won two National Championships.  

Adrian Martinez will not survive the pounding he is getting particularly in his freshman body.  He will grow physically in the next couple of years but right now he is very vulnerable to injury and I worry what the rest of the season will bring.  Mike Riley neglected the physical side of the game, relying on finesse players at the skill positions.  He recruited QB's well and got some receivers to commit but that is Pac 10 football.  Obviously it didn't work in the big ten.  I hope Frost realizes this isn't Oregon and this isn't the Pac 10 conference.  And it must be said that he never played or coached in the Big Ten conference either.  

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, raw1 said:

Coach Frost obviously must improve the line play, primarily the Offensive Line.  He cannot coach up the current crew....they are what they are.  I want to see him study other schools in the Big Ten and see what can be learned about depth, conditioning, and recruiting.  Tom Osborne got help from Florida State's coach, Bobby Bowden in the 90's concerning speed in the defensive backfield, took his advice,  and subsequently won two National Championships.  

Adrian Martinez will not survive the pounding he is getting particularly in his freshman body.  He will grow physically in the next couple of years but right now he is very vulnerable to injury and I worry what the rest of the season will bring.  Mike Riley neglected the physical side of the game, relying on finesse players at the skill positions.  He recruited QB's well and got some receivers to commit but that is Pac 10 football.  Obviously it didn't work in the big ten.  I hope Frost realizes this isn't Oregon and this isn't the Pac 10 conference.  And it must be said that he never played or coached in the Big Ten conference either.  

I do have faith Frost knows what he is doing. He was at Nebraska back when we dominated the lines, he spent time in the NFL he understands the game revolves around the lines, he spent time at Oregon and saw their downfall in big games against powerful teams like Auburn in the title game they were not physical enough. So his first head coaching job he got the lines playing physical and paired that with the oregon system. It showed to work because he got a W in the bowl game of a top 5 caliber Auburn team and they held their own on the lines. 

So I think he knows what he wants to do and how to do it. He just doesnt have the bodies to execute in year 1. 

3 minutes ago, raw1 said:

I hope Frost realizes this isn't Oregon and this isn't the Pac 10 conference.  And it must be said that he never played or coached in the Big Ten conference either.

Anything can work offensively in the Big 10. Case in point - The amount of yards TCU put up against Ohio State a couple weeks ago. TCU's offense is actually a pretty good example of what I think Frost wants this offense to be - tons of speed, tons of spreading the field out wide, then gashing you with deep throws. They put up 511 yards against a very physical and fast defense in Ohio State. In fact, this type of offense (meaning TCU's) actually creates a good mismatch against many Big 10 teams.

Defensively is a different topic, in my opinion. You have to choose the right scheme to play defense well in this conference and you have to coach a run-first mentality. Bo was hot and cold in this department, but ultimately it was the biggest thing that burned him.

• Plus1 1