Realistic

1 minute ago, hskrfan4life said:

I don't think he said that all but okay....

Yesterday Army gave Oklahoma everything it could handle. Old Dominion beat Virginia Tech by two touchdowns behind its second-string quarterback coming off the bench. There's no reason this Nebraska team can't be in the same league as Army and Old Dominion. 

Yes. I think he did.

4 minutes ago, Scratchtown said:

So, you think that Nebraska is a program that should have underdog mentality and the opponent should treat us as such a terrible program that they come out with no fire against us.

ok.

How could you possibly have arrived to that conclusion after reading that post?

• Fire 1

If you guys honestly think Oklahoma went into that game fired up for ARMY, and VaTech came into a game fired up about a winless OLD DOMINION (who had been beaten by LIberty by 35+) then I don't know how you don't come to the conclusion of what I previously posted. 

There are a lot of people on here that would then say, it's the coaches fault for not getting the kids fired up. That's BS. With the information available out there and the way kids think of themselves, looking at results of their opponents previous games etc...

You don't understand. You can say all you want to a kid about playing with fire, and passion and all that stuff, but REALISTICALLY as the title of this thread says, those kids will think they can just walk all over a group that has struggled. Which in this day and age is FAR AND AWAY less true than it was 20 years ago due to the training these HS kids get all over the country compared to years ago. 85 scholly's yada yada yada.

You combine all of that together. That's how you get Army and Old Dominion able to compete or BEAT Oklahoma's and VaTech's

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Scratchtown said:

Yes. I think he did.

Considering that would be a drastic improvement over where we are currently, I don't think it is as ludicrous as you want to treat it. But if you want to be obtuse and ignore the tenor of the post, go right ahead 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Scratchtown said:

If you guys honestly think Oklahoma went into that game fired up for ARMY, and VaTech came into a game fired up about a winless OLD DOMINION (who had been beaten by LIberty by 35+) then I don't know how you don't come to the conclusion of what I previously posted. 

There are a lot of people on here that would then say, it's the coaches fault for not getting the kids fired up. That's BS. With the information available out there and the way kids think of themselves, looking at results of their opponents previous games etc...

You don't understand. You can say all you want to a kid about playing with fire, and passion and all that stuff, but REALISTICALLY as the title of this thread says, those kids will think they can just walk all over a group that has struggled. Which in this day and age is FAR AND AWAY less true than it was 20 years ago due to the training these HS kids get all over the country compared to years ago. 85 scholly's yada yada yada.

You combine all of that together. That's how you get Army and Old Dominion able to compete or BEAT Oklahoma's and VaTech's

Where you're wrong is placing the full responsibility on the favored team. Are you saying those underdogs didn't come out and play with fire yet still managed to pull the upsets? Newsflash; we were 18 point dogs to Michigan. You can't see how the OP is relevant?

14 minutes ago, Scratchtown said:

So, you think that Nebraska is a program that should have underdog mentality and the opponent should treat us as such a terrible program that they come out with no fire against us.

ok.

Nebraska doesn't have a choice. Michigan was ranked and heavily favored. Of course you play like an underdog. Ears pinned back and going for broke. No idea why you perceive that as a bad thing. 

How the other team approaches wounded underdogs is up to them. Coaches generally guard against over-confidence. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's clearly a talent gap, but that's where the coaching comes in. Yesterday Army gave Oklahoma everything it could handle.

I'm trying to understand the point you were trying to make with those two sentences.

Here are our last five seasons' recruiting rankings according to 247:

2014 --#35

2015 -- #30

2016 -- #26

2017 -- #23

2018 -- #23

This may not be the only way to evaluate "talent," but defining talent is hard. This is a fairly objective way to do it. We shouldn't be as bad as we are against the run. I'm much less worried about the offense because Martinez is a true freshman and he's injured.

If Chinander is a good defensive coach - and there's good evidence that suggests that he is - this team should see some significant improvement by the end of the season. I have quite a bit of faith that it can.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm trying to understand the point you were trying to make with those two sentences.

Here are our last five seasons' recruiting rankings according to 247:

2014 --#35

2015 -- #30

2016 -- #26

2017 -- #23

2018 -- #23

This may not be the only way to evaluate "talent," but defining talent is hard. This is a fairly objective way to do it. We shouldn't be as bad as we are against the run. I'm much less worried about the offense because Martinez is a true freshman and he's injured.

If Chinander is a good defensive coach - and there's good evidence that suggests that he is - this team should see some significant improvement by the end of the season. I have quite a bit of faith that it can.

To me those rankings are so subjective as to be completely meaningless. If we were consistently in the top 10-15 competing for talent and winning against the Alabama's , Texas' and Ohio State's then I'd have much more confidence in them. Why fans keep posting them as some objective measure of talent is a mystery to me. We have a definite talent disadvantage against Michigan.....that was obvious....on both sides of the ball. 

7 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

To me those rankings are so subjective as to be completely meaningless. If we were consistently in the top 10-15 competing for talent and winning against the Alabama's , Texas' and Ohio State's then I'd have much more confidence in them. Why fans keep posting them as some objective measure of talent is a mystery to me. We have a definite talent disadvantage against Michigan.....that was obvious....on both sides of the ball. 

I'm not sure that actually makes sense.

The teams that consistently finish in the top 10-15 in national recruiting rankings usually are ranked somewhere in that range by seasons' end. I totally agree that we have a definite talent disadvantage against Michigan...but not to the degree that we should be down 39-0 at halftime. They didn't even put up 56 against Western Michigan and SMU...who rank unbelievably lower than we do in national recruiting rankings.

Losing 56-10 was honestly pretty surprising. I realize a lot of people are still emotional from that shellacking yesterday and are saying that it wasn't surprising...but the level of talent we have on defense should not have allowed them to put up 39 points in the first half. There are things that are fixable even this season to correct some of the issues we have. I don't believe we have the talent level of Western Michigan or SMU...that's honestly a ridiculous notion. 

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not sure that actually makes sense.

The teams that consistently finish in the top 10-15 in national recruiting rankings usually are ranked somewhere in that range by seasons' end. I totally agree that we have a definite talent disadvantage against Michigan...but not to the degree that we should be down 39-0 at halftime. They didn't even put up 56 against Western Michigan and SMU...who rank unbelievably lower than we do in national recruiting rankings.

Losing 56-10 was honestly pretty surprising. I realize a lot of people are still emotional from that shellacking yesterday and are saying that it wasn't surprising...but the level of talent we have on defense should not have allowed them to put up 39 points in the first half. There are things that are fixable even this season to correct some of the issues we have. I don't believe we have the talent level of Western Michigan or SMU...that's honestly a ridiculous notion. 

It makes sense that those teams are most likely to get the proven best players ,but after that it's a guessing game. Add to that the star rating doesn't show any balance or concern for actual needs of a team ….you could get 10 5-star receivers and nothing else but still be on top of the rankings. 
What I'm saying is Michigan's ranking are legit and ours are crap....added to the fact that they didn't put nearly as much effort into beating cupcakes. Harbaugh was out to make a point against us. That's why near the end of the 1st half I proposed sending three of our 350# receivers on a pass pattern to the Michigan bench.