Did We Fire (pick favorite coach) too soon?

Jeepy

For twenty years we've heard 4 coaches say the same thing:  We need to be patient and let our new system get in place.  

We've been very patient for each coach.. generally.  Was the mistake in firing coaches too soon?  Should we have stuck with (Solich/Callahan/Pelini/Riley)?

1 minute ago, Jeepy said:

For twenty years we've heard 4 coaches say the same thing:  We need to be patient and let our new system get in place.  

We've been very patient for each coach.. generally.  Was the mistake in firing coaches too soon?  Should we have stuck with (Solich/Callahan/Pelini/Riley)?

Should have told Osborne if he retired we weren't giving it to Solich and then he would have stayed on.  Like he wanted to do.

• Fire 2
8 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Really this all began with TO announcing his replacement prior to the AD announcing it if i am not mistaken....we could of had our pick of the litter when TO retired....

• Fire 2

Well, I'm concerned with what we've done with all these new coaches... Osborne left.. and we've been through four since then.  It seems crazy.  Were those hires all really mistakes?  Should we have let somebody stay longer?  Any of them?  Or have we been correct in cleaning house four damned times over the past 20 years?

How long will it take the powers that be to start feeling the same way about Frost? 

Solich his the only one of the 4 where that would even be a feasible question, and truth be told, he probably should’ve been given some ultimatums a year earlier. Pelini had plenty of time and the other two should’ve never been hired. The problem isn’t that we didn’t give any of them enough time but that in their hiring we went away from what made Nebraska Nebraska.

2 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Well, I'm concerned with what we've done with all these new coaches... Osborne left.. and we've been through four since then.  It seems crazy.  Were those hires all really mistakes?  Should we have let somebody stay longer?  Any of them?  Or have we been correct in cleaning house four damned times over the past 20 years?

The problem began with the hiring of Callahan. Without that total destruction of our culture we likely wouldn’t have continued to make poor hiring decisions. Doesn’t make any of the firings a mistake.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

The problem began with the hiring of Callahan. Without that total destruction of our culture we likely wouldn’t have continued to make poor hiring decisions. Doesn’t make any of the firings a mistake.

Or we could have just hired Bob Stoops instead of TO taking it into his own hands and announcing publicly that Solich was his replacement....

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Or we could have just hired Bob Stoops instead of TO taking it into his own hands and announcing publicly that Solich was his replacement....

One thing’s for sure, We could've done a thousand things that would’ve been better than what transpired. I didn’t have a problem at the time with TO naming Solich. But it became apparent very soon he was no TO level coach (not many were). With more time he may have found his way but those were much different days. If we were outside of the top 5 there were serious problems. Unfortunately the only way that atmosphere can be viewed in any reasonable perspective is to experience what we did. Of course we didn’t have to keep making the same mistake for as long as we did. At least it is on the way to being remedied now. Hopefully people realize it’s not going to be an overnight or even only 2 or 3 year complete fix. That should be obvious after these three games.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Unfortunately the only way that atmosphere can be viewed in any reasonable perspective is to experience what we did. Of course we didn’t have to keep making the same mistake for as long as we did. At least it is on the way to being remedied now. Hopefully people realize it’s not going to be an overnight or even only 2 or 3 year complete fix. That should be obvious after these three games.

Now.. that ^  .. nitty gritty, in my opinion.  It's like bad marriages.  Or taking college courses that get you nowhere as to career satisfaction, etc:  You have to go through it to see that perspective. 

But.. all those coaches.  Could we have had success with Callahan if he stayed?   Yep he sure did wreck the old culture here, intentionally.  He wanted an NFL seeding camp, it appears.  How about Pelini?   Another three years might have gelled one hell of a team with Nebraska's resources.  

I'm wondering if this throwing out the baby with the bath water mentality is going to hit our boosters etc when we see Frost saying "just give it more time" in his third year here. 

Frank let himself and his staff lose the team and direction

Callahan was never getting over the hump....ever

Bo needed to cut his teeth elsewhere that didn't happen and he essentially peaked

Riley....also peaked in year 2 and then fell back down to where he normally would have finished

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

BTW, hasn't this subject been covered hereabouts before....about 100 times:lol:

I'm tired of talking about the past. Frost is the answer, and if he's not, there is no answer.

I'm new here, gimme a break.  :D

I like Redux's post up there:

- Frank let himself and his staff lose the team and direction

- Callahan was never getting over the hump....ever

- Bo needed to cut his teeth elsewhere that didn't happen and he essentially peaked

- Riley....also peaked in year 2 and then fell back down to where he normally would have finished

So, four hiring mistakes.