Did We Fire (pick favorite coach) too soon?

Jeepy

3 minutes ago, Nebraska Alum said:

It's obvious: Bo should have been kept until Frost was ready to become our head coach. Hiring Mike Riley was the biggest, stupidest mistake that this program ever made. Period. And that is why we are 0-3 this season...

I was dumb struck, just like most Husker fans, when we hired Riley.  I was like, WHO?  I wanted him to be the next big thing, and overlooked his .500 record based mostly on his time at OSU, and sadly he lived up to his .500 record.  Eichorst was toxic for Nebraska, and I really think he hired Riley to bring the Huskers down as we are right now.  Frost will right this ship, it just appears that it may take 3 years to really get this thing going.  GO BIG RED!!!!

Bo made mad faces and upset people . Cost us some dumb penalties etc because of it . He was out of control and needed a strong AD like Moos to get him back in line. Eichorst was not that guy . Riley was hired to be the anti Bo . A “nice” guy that would do what Eichorst/Perlman told him to do . That’s it . The combination of Frost and Moos will eventually fix the damage that’s been done to the program. Unfortunately ,  games like the Michigan game show us how far we are away from that goal . 

10 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Instead of making a new thread, it's probably better to pile on in here. 

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Callahan (I rejoiced at the news he was canned) , he left some good kids for pelini to work with. Suh, Prince, Lucky, Swift, (Hagg?), etc. Joey Ganz wasn't too bad, even savvy on his good days. Even Cody Glenn, who turned out to be an athletic linebacker. 

So, in hindsight, thanks, Bill, for not leaving the program in historic disarray like has been done recently. 

I agree. Riley has officially passed Callahan in my mind as the worst. Thanks Eichorst.

• Plus1 1
Just now, beorach said:

This is a hindsight thing.  I think most, if not all, of us would agree we may as well have taken a chance on Coach Frost over Riley at that point (was the point).

It's not a hindsight thing; if we hired Frost in 2014, it would be built purely on emotion with little in terms of tangible achievement on his part. We got him at exactly the right time in his career. 

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

It's not a hindsight thing; if we hired Frost in 2014, it would be built purely on emotion with little in terms of tangible achievement on his part. We got him at exactly the right time in his career. 

You're just making another point without acknowledging mine.  I don't know why people on here are so dead set on arguing over nothing.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, beorach said:

You're just making another point without acknowledging mine.  I don't know why people on here are so dead set on arguing over nothing.

1. You initially stated that you are inclined to believe that we hired Frost too late. 

2. I disagreed with this statement, stating that we had no idea what type of HC Frost would be at the time of Pelini's firing. 

3. You argued that this was hindsight, stating that "most, if not all, of us would agree we may as well have taken a chance on Coach Frost over Riley".

4. I disagreed with this statement, due to the fact that Frost had no track record as a HC up to that point, and hadn't assembled a coaching staff, let alone one with the type of quality that his staff has. 

At what point did I not acknowledge the points you were making? If anything, you arguing at cross purposes, because the only aspect of hindsight in the thread is introduced by you in point 3. 

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

1. You initially stated that you are inclined to believe that we hired Frost too late. 

2. I disagreed with this statement, stating that we had no idea what type of HC Frost would be at the time of Pelini's firing. 

3. You argued that this was hindsight, stating that "most, if not all, of us would agree we may as well have taken a chance on Coach Frost over Riley".

4. I disagreed with this statement, due to the fact that Frost had no track record as a HC up to that point, and hadn't assembled a coaching staff, let alone one with the type of quality that his staff has. 

At what point did I not acknowledge the points you were making? If anything, you arguing at cross purposes, because the only aspect of hindsight in the thread is introduced by you in point 3. 

This isn't that complicated, man.

All I was expressing was that, given we were going to hire Coach Frost anyway, I figured we just wasted the previous three years.  If you're bent out of shape over that thought, to the extent you're dissecting it and using terms like "cross purposes" that make no sense to me, I think you could use a break from this board.

• Thanks 1

I think I can sum this up pretty quickly.  In a perfect world, Frank never loses control of himself or his staff.  He coaches here until say last year.   Last year is his swan song.  We hire Scott Frost in 2017 and 2018 is his first season taking the reigns.  Nebraska never reaches the depths of 2004-2007, never hits the average slump of 2008-2014, never tail spins from 2015-2017. We own few more conference trophies, we have an appearance or two more in the national title game.  Business just went on as usual.

But that didn't happen.  The guys that got fired got fired for reasons, justified or not.  We want more because we think we deserve better.  Maybe we do.  We will have it.  Not this year.  Probably not next either from the looks of it.  But soon enough, things will get better.  We have no choice but to be patient.....again.  It either pans out this time, or we are officially Minnesota.

• Plus1 1