Jeepy

Did We Fire (pick favorite coach) too soon?

For twenty years we've heard 4 coaches say the same thing:  We need to be patient and let our new system get in place.  

We've been very patient for each coach.. generally.  Was the mistake in firing coaches too soon?  Should we have stuck with (Solich/Callahan/Pelini/Riley)?

1 minute ago, Jeepy said:

For twenty years we've heard 4 coaches say the same thing:  We need to be patient and let our new system get in place.  

We've been very patient for each coach.. generally.  Was the mistake in firing coaches too soon?  Should we have stuck with (Solich/Callahan/Pelini/Riley)?

Should have told Osborne if he retired we weren't giving it to Solich and then he would have stayed on.  Like he wanted to do.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Really this all began with TO announcing his replacement prior to the AD announcing it if i am not mistaken....we could of had our pick of the litter when TO retired....

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2

Well, I'm concerned with what we've done with all these new coaches... Osborne left.. and we've been through four since then.  It seems crazy.  Were those hires all really mistakes?  Should we have let somebody stay longer?  Any of them?  Or have we been correct in cleaning house four damned times over the past 20 years?

How long will it take the powers that be to start feeling the same way about Frost? 

Solich his the only one of the 4 where that would even be a feasible question, and truth be told, he probably should’ve been given some ultimatums a year earlier. Pelini had plenty of time and the other two should’ve never been hired. The problem isn’t that we didn’t give any of them enough time but that in their hiring we went away from what made Nebraska Nebraska.

2 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Well, I'm concerned with what we've done with all these new coaches... Osborne left.. and we've been through four since then.  It seems crazy.  Were those hires all really mistakes?  Should we have let somebody stay longer?  Any of them?  Or have we been correct in cleaning house four damned times over the past 20 years?

The problem began with the hiring of Callahan. Without that total destruction of our culture we likely wouldn’t have continued to make poor hiring decisions. Doesn’t make any of the firings a mistake.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

The problem began with the hiring of Callahan. Without that total destruction of our culture we likely wouldn’t have continued to make poor hiring decisions. Doesn’t make any of the firings a mistake.

Or we could have just hired Bob Stoops instead of TO taking it into his own hands and announcing publicly that Solich was his replacement....

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Or we could have just hired Bob Stoops instead of TO taking it into his own hands and announcing publicly that Solich was his replacement....

One thing’s for sure, We could've done a thousand things that would’ve been better than what transpired. I didn’t have a problem at the time with TO naming Solich. But it became apparent very soon he was no TO level coach (not many were). With more time he may have found his way but those were much different days. If we were outside of the top 5 there were serious problems. Unfortunately the only way that atmosphere can be viewed in any reasonable perspective is to experience what we did. Of course we didn’t have to keep making the same mistake for as long as we did. At least it is on the way to being remedied now. Hopefully people realize it’s not going to be an overnight or even only 2 or 3 year complete fix. That should be obvious after these three games.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Unfortunately the only way that atmosphere can be viewed in any reasonable perspective is to experience what we did. Of course we didn’t have to keep making the same mistake for as long as we did. At least it is on the way to being remedied now. Hopefully people realize it’s not going to be an overnight or even only 2 or 3 year complete fix. That should be obvious after these three games.

Now.. that ^  .. nitty gritty, in my opinion.  It's like bad marriages.  Or taking college courses that get you nowhere as to career satisfaction, etc:  You have to go through it to see that perspective. 

But.. all those coaches.  Could we have had success with Callahan if he stayed?   Yep he sure did wreck the old culture here, intentionally.  He wanted an NFL seeding camp, it appears.  How about Pelini?   Another three years might have gelled one hell of a team with Nebraska's resources.  

I'm wondering if this throwing out the baby with the bath water mentality is going to hit our boosters etc when we see Frost saying "just give it more time" in his third year here. 

Frank let himself and his staff lose the team and direction

Callahan was never getting over the hump....ever

Bo needed to cut his teeth elsewhere that didn't happen and he essentially peaked

Riley....also peaked in year 2 and then fell back down to where he normally would have finished

• Plus1 1

BTW, hasn't this subject been covered hereabouts before....about 100 times:lol:

I'm tired of talking about the past. Frost is the answer, and if he's not, there is no answer.

• Plus1 5

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

BTW, hasn't this subject been covered hereabouts before....about 100 times:lol:

I'm tired of talking about the past. Frost is the answer, and if he's not, there is no answer.

I'm new here, gimme a break.  :D

I like Redux's post up there:

- Frank let himself and his staff lose the team and direction

- Callahan was never getting over the hump....ever

- Bo needed to cut his teeth elsewhere that didn't happen and he essentially peaked

- Riley....also peaked in year 2 and then fell back down to where he normally would have finished

So, four hiring mistakes. 

TO- Gave us Frank without any choice

Frank-Should've been given more time after 2003 IMHO.  Fired his defensive staff, lost Carl Crawford, still fired

Cally-Great recruiter.  Completely changed scheme and culture of NU. Both have never returned.  Doomed by Cos as DC

Bo- Got stuck with Wats (again TO).  Incredibly inexperienced staff.  Volatile temper made him viral in a bad way.  Couldn't get over the 9-10 win hump (I'd like those days back).  Burned his own house down.  Once Cally's guys were gone and Sanders and Carl left, this option went south fast.

Riley-Clown.  Never should have been hired.  Mister .500.  Incompetent HC with an even more incompetent staff.

Frost-Prodigal son.  Right hire, right time, right place.  I trust in the process, perhaps not his whole scale scheme.  I think he will adapt to the B1G.  They won't adapt to us.  If it was anyone other than Frost that started 0-3, we would have already run him out of town.  He is NU royalty and gets time.  He inherited a dumpster fire.  However, fans just want to see improvement as we go along.  IMHO, we haven't hit bottom yet.  It'll take 3-4 years to fix and start to see permanent change ie no blowout losses, competitive game in and game out (year after year) be in the conference hunt etc....Again, right guy, right time, right hire.  (Give him time will grow thin in year 3 though)

• Plus1 2

The game has changed and we don't play in the same conference with a similar schedule as back when we played "Nebraska" football.

Bo had enough time to bring in his players and establish his system.  In hind sight we can obviously do a lot worse than Pelini, however it just didn't appear we had a higher peak we could reach with him here and 9 wins with losses to ranked teams wasn't cutting it anymore with his attitude.  Maybe hiring a new OC with the right offense and BP might have been able to get those wins in the big games that counted.

MR never got the chance to get his guys or install his system to completion and was forced to make assistant hires that did nothing but set the team back to day one of his arrival.  The offense has already been proven successful in this conference for a number of years, but that's all water under the bridge and here we go again.  The biggest thing that worries me about SF's offense is the beating QB's will take playing a BIG schedule.  It may take a lot of luck, or 3-4 QB's to weather a season and that concerns me.

:facepalm:  Let us get off of threads examining and reexamining are we better off with the previous staff here. This is what a backlash is and deal with it. When you try to refix mistakes and trying  new ways every few years - you lose your sense of direction. Right now, we are just waiting for the program to find it way again. The fans have not changed and many still keep the tradition of being a Cornhuskers'.  

4 coaches over 20 years isn't that bad if you look at the landscape of college football. Some blue blood squads have cycled through 4 coaches in a decade it seems.

35 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

The game has changed and we don't play in the same conference with a similar schedule as back when we played "Nebraska" football.

Bo had enough time to bring in his players and establish his system.  In hind sight we can obviously do a lot worse than Pelini, however it just didn't appear we had a higher peak we could reach with him here and 9 wins with losses to ranked teams wasn't cutting it anymore with his attitude.  Maybe hiring a new OC with the right offense and BP might have been able to get those wins in the big games that counted.

MR never got the chance to get his guys or install his system to completion and was forced to make assistant hires that did nothing but set the team back to day one of his arrival.  The offense has already been proven successful in this conference for a number of years, but that's all water under the bridge and here we go again.  The biggest thing that worries me about SF's offense is the beating QB's will take playing a BIG schedule.  It may take a lot of luck, or 3-4 QB's to weather a season and that concerns me.

I liked Riley for a long time and still think he is a good enough guy but after some of the things we heard shortly after he was let go tell me he had no business coaching here or at the D-1 level for that matter. He wasn't in charge and as a coach at this level you have to be.

• Plus1 1

I would have liked to see Pellini stay a little longer with a different AD/chancellor combo . Perlman and Eichhorst were as much to blame for the failure of the entire organization as  anyone . The mishandling and firing of Bo and the subsequent hiring of a terrible coach (Riley) set the program back years . Callahan with a different DC could have been interesting too . 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Big Red 40 said:

I would have liked to see Pellini stay a little longer with a different AD/chancellor combo . Perlman and Eichhorst were as much to blame for the failure of the entire organization as  anyone . The mishandling and firing of Bo and the subsequent hiring of a terrible coach (Riley) set the program back years . Callahan with a different DC could have been interesting too . 

Imagine if Moos was our AD from the beginning 

• Plus1 1

Just three games into the first season and 10 months from Frost being hired and the discussion returns to bad coaches, bad hires, bad fires, etc.   Each and every one of the successors to Osborne has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseum.   Positions are hardened and opinions cemented.  Almost nobody is changing their minds as to which one(s) were right, wrong or in between.   

Recruiting of the best players to fit the then scheme(s) and or the future scheme(s) is absolutely critical to building and maintaining a successful program.   For 90% plus of fans, boosters, alums, etc winning games and competing frequently for conference and national championships is the ultimate measure of such success.    We have not done that consistantly for more than a decade.   The cancer of program decline/decay began around 2000 under Solich as recruiting was neglected or misdirected or failed for any number of reasons.   Solich was fired because the cupboard was emptying at an alarming rate.   This is simply a fact and the alarm bells were sounding but far too many weren't paying attention.   

Callahan is an excellent football coach and his long career therein is proof thereof

Solich was a fine assistant coach at NU for many years and did good things as HC for a couple seasons at a minimum.  The job may have been more than he needed managerially and he certainly wasn't 'the Closer' in recruiting.  He has done a satisfactory job at Ohio U since as he retains his job after about 13 years.

Pelini has been a relatively successful assistant coach with several well known football programs (college and or pro).   He knows a lot about football but less about public relations.

Riley has been hired and fired by a virtual who's who list of college and professional football orgs and he always seems to land on his feet at his next and or former  place so he has to have a large degree of respect and appreciation in the football realm.  He can't be all bad.

Osborne did not fire Solich but he did fire Callahan and hire Pelini.   Osborne did not hire Riley but I suspect he had a major voice in his termination and the hire of Frost.    I have no recollection of Osborne ever offering his opinion, publicly or privately, of the Callahan or Riley hires but it would seem inconceivable that he was not atleast asked for his imput and or opinion on both behind the scenes.  Whether he was listened to we may never really know. 

The facilities at NU throughout the past 25 years have been 'top 10' without question.  The fan support and other outside factors are certainly top 10.  The schedules and so on have, on balance, over the time period, been reasonably accomodating to enable a championship caliber team to be fieded atleast once or twice during the tenures of each regime.

There is really only one apparent common denominator that would have inhibited championship football from arising up over the period:   overall team talent.   

Now, its Scott Frost's opportunity.   How long is long enough?   The answer lies in making a frank, fair, honest and realistic evaluation of the current talent and the time and energy and resources and monumental effort it will take to raise the talent level up to elite (perennial top 10) level.  It is not fair or reasonable to expect Frost to win championships without the players capable of doing so.

How many players on this fall's team could start for Alabama, Ohio State, Penn State, Clemson, Oklahoma, etal?     Arguably none.

How many would make the travel rosters for those same level programs?   A handful?

How many players on Riley's first squad would have?   6 or 8?

How many for Pelini first team?   A dozen?

How many for Callahan first year?  Twenty?

How many for Solich first year?   (A whole bunch!!!!).

Do we have any current players who could have started on Frost's 97 team?   Not likely.   Any backups?   Maybe but not sure who it might be?   Maybe Martinez, or couple receivers. or LBs or TEs? 

Give Frost the talent to compete and he will get us the championships we all crave!   That will take as long as it takes.  It took Osborne 22 years to win his first national titile after inheriting a championship calibler team.  Frost is starting more where Devaney started so let's don't expect a lot in his first season! 

We need a lot of better players all over the team in my view in order to restore NU to its 1980s and 1990s level of success.   How many?   If Frost adds 25 starters and made this year's starters the number 2s, we'd be in the hunt for the Big Ten west division.  We'd need about 25 more 4 and 5 star level players to get into the playoff discussions.    

49 minutes ago, lo country said:

Frost-Prodigal son.  Right hire, right time, right place.  I trust in the process, perhaps not his whole scale scheme.  I think he will adapt to the B1G.  They won't adapt to us. 

I think if Frost is trying to adapt wholsale to the B1G in 3-4 years it will mean big trouble.  He may have to make modifications, all coaches do, but he and his staff run what they run. 

He needs time to establish culture and get the right kids in place sure, but I expect his scheme will do just fine in the league once established.  We need a full year and another offseason in the scheme and for conditioning. 

According to some "fans" Frost might be in the argument if he should be given more time.  

Solich is the only one that should have been given time.

11 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Callahan is an excellent offensive line football coach and his long career therein is proof thereof

FIFY

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, huKSer said:

According to some "fans" Frost might be in the argument if he should be given more time.  

Solich is the only one that should have been given time.

FIFY

I don't disagree but he also did get a team in to the super bowl as HC.   He certainly knows offensive football but he is one the best O line coaches - period.  But his biggest shortcoming in my view is he is a pro football thinker which is quite the contrary of a college coach.  You have to teach the fundamentals in college and he does best at taking dam good college players and making them all pros.   

35 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I don't disagree but he also did get a team in to the super bowl as HC.   He certainly knows offensive football but he is one the best O line coaches - period.  But his biggest shortcoming in my view is he is a pro football thinker which is quite the contrary of a college coach.  You have to teach the fundamentals in college and he does best at taking dam good college players and making them all pros.   

And the year after going to the Super Bowl he completely lost the team.

I would put him and Pelini in the same category - excellent coordinators who should not be head coaches

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, lo country said:

TO- Gave us Frank without any choice

Frank-Should've been given more time after 2003 IMHO.  Fired his defensive staff, lost Carl Crawford, still fired

Cally-Great recruiter.  Completely changed scheme and culture of NU. Both have never returned.  Doomed by Cos as DC

Bo- Got stuck with Wats (again TO).  Incredibly inexperienced staff.  Volatile temper made him viral in a bad way.  Couldn't get over the 9-10 win hump (I'd like those days back).  Burned his own house down.  Once Cally's guys were gone and Sanders and Carl left, this option went south fast.

Riley-Clown.  Never should have been hired.  Mister .500.  Incompetent HC with an even more incompetent staff.

Frost-Prodigal son.  Right hire, right time, right place.  I trust in the process, perhaps not his whole scale scheme.  I think he will adapt to the B1G.  They won't adapt to us.  If it was anyone other than Frost that started 0-3, we would have already run him out of town.  He is NU royalty and gets time.  He inherited a dumpster fire.  However, fans just want to see improvement as we go along.  IMHO, we haven't hit bottom yet.  It'll take 3-4 years to fix and start to see permanent change ie no blowout losses, competitive game in and game out (year after year) be in the conference hunt etc....Again, right guy, right time, right hire.  (Give him time will grow thin in year 3 though)

Another nice synopsis of the past several coaches.  That last paragraph about Scott seems spot on.   Gawd we want wins that should be wins (Troy.. those to come). 

The past isn't entirely in the past.  It's part of what makes us.  It's like a foundation, and sometimes it's shaky.  Thus my concerns.  Want to forget these terrible coaches?   Better not. 

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, huKSer said:

And the year after going to the Super Bowl he completely lost the team.

I would put him and Pelini in the same category - excellent coordinators who should not be head coaches

Agree with the bolded for sure.  As a DC in 2003, he did a great job IMO (coming off the 7-7 season)  I think some guys are great with seeing the complete picture.  Others are better with a narrow scope vision. nothing wrong with that.  I'd throw our Criag Bohl (not a NU HC), but as a DC, no thanks.  What he did at NDSU was nothing short of amazing.  Not doing "bad" at Wyoming.....Cally was a great OC/OL coach.  Great recruiter, just abysmal at the college level/HC position IMO.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I think if Frost is trying to adapt wholsale to the B1G in 3-4 years it will mean big trouble.  He may have to make modifications, all coaches do, but he and his staff run what they run. 

He needs time to establish culture and get the right kids in place sure, but I expect his scheme will do just fine in the league once established.  We need a full year and another offseason in the scheme and for conditioning. 

I should have been specific.  I think he will have adapt his scheme to a degree.  I do not think it will be a whole scale change.  I'd like to just see more elements of traditional power ie traps, counters etc...Heavy sets with 22/23 personnel on goal line.  Maybe even QB under center on short yardage.  BUT, he might have those and our OL is incapable of getting the push and or pulling to make it happen.  Or TE's not ready yet.  Might not even want to EVER use those, but I think he will have to (adapt to the B1G)  Or QB not comfortable like Milton (duh right. 2 years vs 3 games).  I'm sure as the season progresses (or years) we will see more.  He certainly showed a lot more at UCF than we have seen to date. 

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Solich his the only one of the 4 where that would even be a feasible question, and truth be told, he probably should’ve been given some ultimatums a year earlier. 

What ultimatums can you give a coach who just had an 11 win season with a top 10 finish and a national championship appearance? 

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Who was Bob Stoops in 1997? 

I think you have to look at the AD's that did the hiring. Petersen hired Callahan and Eichorst hired Riley, two incredibly laughable hirings. They replaced coaches only so they could make their mark on the program and what a mark they made. Byrne wanted Mack Brown and the godfather wanted Solich, so we know how that went. So really 3 out of 4 and maybe all of them should have never been here.

If you think about all the coaches, they all had great ideas when hired, but never followed up. Bo said we are going to run the ball and we're stuck with Watson as the OC. Riley said running the ball 50% of the time would be great and then lets a stupid OC throw the ball all over the stadium. Callahan-Not sure what he was trying to do cause his west coast offense never did amount to much and I remember his QB's being killed all game long.

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, Landlord said:

What ultimatums can you give a coach who just had an 11 win season with a top 10 finish and a national championship appearance? 

Well, if you're of the mind to fire him a year later, surely there are things you could demand he change. My point was, there were a hundred different things Pederson could've done that didn't have to result in the dismantling of Husker football. Frank was struggling with certain aspects of the game because he was nowhere near the coach Osborne was. Suggest he shore up some of those deficiencies, shift responsibilities, etc., anything but burn it to the ground by bringing in Callahan. 

Unbelievably, in those days, 11 wins and a national championship appearance weren't quite enough. The debacle in Boulder and the trouncing at the hands of the Trojans pretty much sealed his fate. But like I said prior, things were way out of perspective at the time due to the run we had through the 90's. Maybe it was inevitable.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well, if you're of the mind to fire him a year later, surely there are things you could demand he change. My point was, there were a hundred different things Pederson could've done that didn't have to result in the dismantling of Husker football. Frank was struggling with certain aspects of the game because he was nowhere near the coach Osborne was. Suggest he shore up some of those deficiencies, shift responsibilities, etc., anything but burn it to the ground by bringing in Callahan. 

Unbelievably, in those days, 11 wins and a national championship appearance weren't quite enough. The debacle in Boulder and the trouncing at the hands of the Trojans pretty much sealed his fate. But like I said prior, things were way out of perspective at the time due to the run we had through the 90's. Maybe it was inevitable.

Sorry I think I'm misunderstanding you. Solich went 7-7 in '02, our first non 9 win season in like a billion years, and I don't know if there were 'ultimatums' actually given, but that was what made him response with firing his defensive staff, bringing in a bunch of new coaches and seeing improvement. I was assuming that was when you were talking about, with a year before being after the Rose Bowl against Miami. 

He DID do the things you're suggesting after the '02 season and the next season was better if still not up to expectations. 

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I should have been specific.  I think he will have adapt his scheme to a degree.  I do not think it will be a whole scale change.  I'd like to just see more elements of traditional power ie traps, counters etc...Heavy sets with 22/23 personnel on goal line.  Maybe even QB under center on short yardage.  BUT, he might have those and our OL is incapable of getting the push and or pulling to make it happen.  Or TE's not ready yet.  Might not even want to EVER use those, but I think he will have to (adapt to the B1G)  Or QB not comfortable like Milton (duh right. 2 years vs 3 games).  I'm sure as the season progresses (or years) we will see more.  He certainly showed a lot more at UCF than we have seen to date. 

Gotcha,  we are on the same page.  I am sure we will see lots of new wrinkles eventually,  when the kids are capable of it.  From my perspective, any play called can look terrible if it's executed poorly, and leads to cries about horrible play calling.  I am sure he wants to open the playbook but simply can't yet. 

• Plus1 1

only thing i wish would have been different is if we had just hired frost instead of riley.

riley was the worst hire by far.

callahan and bo were actually good hires at the time. just didn't work out, but definitely weren't bad hires.

but riley just flat out didn't deserve this job.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

Sorry I think I'm misunderstanding you. Solich went 7-7 in '02, our first non 9 win season in like a billion years, and I don't know if there were 'ultimatums' actually given, but that was what made him response with firing his defensive staff, bringing in a bunch of new coaches and seeing improvement. I was assuming that was when you were talking about, with a year before being after the Rose Bowl against Miami. 

He DID do the things you're suggesting after the '02 season and the next season was better if still not up to expectations. 

I am referring to the 7-7 season as being the one that would've been the correct time to fire him. They waited another year when  things were better and then pulled the trigger which made us look bad nationally IMO. However, I feel the writing was on the wall from 2001 when we got woodshedded by CU and then backed into the Natty game (which we shouldn't have been in) and laid an egg against USC. I guess I don't know what was going through Pederson's pea brain at the time but, if I'm honest, I thought something needed to change after the 7-7 season. As fans we were just that spoiled at the time. But I have no doubts the program would've done better and survived pretty much intact if Solich would've been given more opportunity to correct the deficiencies. Water way under the bridge now.

Instead of making a new thread, it's probably better to pile on in here. 

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Callahan (I rejoiced at the news he was canned) , he left some good kids for pelini to work with. Suh, Prince, Lucky, Swift, (Hagg?), etc. Joey Ganz wasn't too bad, even savvy on his good days. Even Cody Glenn, who turned out to be an athletic linebacker. 

So, in hindsight, thanks, Bill, for not leaving the program in historic disarray like has been done recently. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Jeepy said:

No, but we should've fired administrators a long time ago. Some people would say the administration has sabotaged each coach. 

• Plus1 1

Fun fact-

42 players were drafted by the NFL in 2002-2006 from the 2001 Miami championship team that kicked our ass and made the game look like men against the boys. 17 were 1st rounders.

6 hours ago, runningblind said:

The best rushing team in the Big Ten year on year, and it's not even remotely close, is Ohio St since Meyer arrived. They don't exactly run with 3 tight ends and 2 fullbacks.

Its not what you run, it's what you can teach and what you can execute. I'm not happy with a lot of coaching decisions right now, either, but trying to change scheme for the sake of it is folly. Most of what we see are growing pains, by players and coaches, but these offensive principles work. I strongly suspect once they get a win or two under their belts and get some confidence that things will improve sharply.

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

No, but we should've fired administrators a long time ago. Some people would say the administration has sabotaged each coach. 

Frost himself has said how important the change in administration was in the decision making process.

9 hours ago, Jeepy said:

Yes, NO, No, Oh Hell No.

It's obvious: Bo should have been kept until Frost was ready to become our head coach. Hiring Mike Riley was the biggest, stupidest mistake that this program ever made. Period. And that is why we are 0-3 this season...

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Nebraska Alum said:

It's obvious: Bo should have been kept until Frost was ready to become our head coach. Hiring Mike Riley was the biggest, stupidest mistake that this program ever made. Period. And that is why we are 0-3 this season...

I was dumb struck, just like most Husker fans, when we hired Riley.  I was like, WHO?  I wanted him to be the next big thing, and overlooked his .500 record based mostly on his time at OSU, and sadly he lived up to his .500 record.  Eichorst was toxic for Nebraska, and I really think he hired Riley to bring the Huskers down as we are right now.  Frost will right this ship, it just appears that it may take 3 years to really get this thing going.  GO BIG RED!!!!

Bo made mad faces and upset people . Cost us some dumb penalties etc because of it . He was out of control and needed a strong AD like Moos to get him back in line. Eichorst was not that guy . Riley was hired to be the anti Bo . A “nice” guy that would do what Eichorst/Perlman told him to do . That’s it . The combination of Frost and Moos will eventually fix the damage that’s been done to the program. Unfortunately ,  games like the Michigan game show us how far we are away from that goal . 

Wish we had stuck with Solich until hiring Frost (no Callahan, no Bo and no Riley) and we should have hired him a lot sooner (like 5 years ago).

I think you can make a better case that we did that with Bo.  I'm still more inclined to believe we hired Coach Frost too late.