Scott Frost Lightning

I've been avoiding the boards the last couple weeks as I know how big of a dumpster fire it most likely has been. LET ME STATE IM NOT OFF THE SCOTT FROST TRAIN. However, one concern that I'm having is did Scott Frost catch lightning in a bottle last year with Mckenzie Milton. Did he perhaps cover up for some bad penalties #126 out of 129, a bad defense #93 out of 129 and the playcalling has been as best shotty so far this year. Yes Yes I know: More plays more yards/penalties yadadada. I don't want to ramble on too much into detail I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts on this might be.

• Plus1 1

Yes, Milton is a special player. Yet people never bring up his freshman year when in his first start he fumbled the ball 6 times and had 4 turnovers or that he had a measly 5.9  ypa for the year.

Yes. They were excellent in almost all areas last year. It’s problem that needs to get fixed though.

That defense wasn’t bad unless the only games you watched were the USF and CCG.

Play calling hasn’t been bad. I see this all the time but no one actually breaks down the film to prove it. 

For one, I will never be off the Frost train.

But I don't think he caught lightning in a bottle with Milton. His team that he built in a short time at UCF is still showing the signs of things he built there, they are still riding his momentum.

With Milton at QB, Frost has an amazing track record of getting good QB's. In addition to Milton, Frost recruited Mariota, Herbert, and Milton. He has one heckuva an eye for QB talent. See Martinez already for this year. IF and big IF quarterbacks are the reason Frost has good offenses and they "hide" any sort of weakness, than we are in great hands because Frost has done a great job getting talented quarterbacks.

• Plus1 2

I am in no way off the Scott Frost train either. Don’t forget that Milton was part of Scott Frost’s signing class at UCF (just as Adrian Martinez is for him at Nebraska). The guy has an eye for the kind of QB he wants and knows how to develop them.

I want to see him recruit & develop an O-Line and Special Teams. And he has a lot to learn about the B1G (and I’m sure he will be a quick study). I don’t quite get how you can prepare for the FB-playing B1G teams without a FB on your roster (or is there a walk-on playing the role on scout team?)

Our D gets a lot of reps against the SF offense, but not so many reps against a downhill rushing attack, such as Wisconsin always seems to rely on. It is going to take some time & some recruiting to get the players he wants, get ther bodies built & conditioned the way he wants and for him to understand what it truly takes to score more points than the other guys in the B1G. But we can’t stay at “rock bottom” if we want to get some of the big recruits that he will want, going forward.

1 hour ago, Waterloohusker26 said:

I've been avoiding the boards the last couple weeks as I know how big of a dumpster fire it most likely has been. LET ME STATE IM NOT OFF THE SCOTT FROST TRAIN. However, one concern that I'm having is did Scott Frost catch lightning in a bottle last year with Mckenzie Milton. Did he perhaps cover up for some bad penalties #126 out of 129, a bad defense #93 out of 129 and the playcalling has been as best shotty so far this year. Yes Yes I know: More plays more yards/penalties yadadada. I don't want to ramble on too much into detail I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts on this might be.

Penalties have very little correlation to winning.

UCF's numbers were skewed from the amount of stats. Their defensice success rate was high, as were their havoc rates. That's what wins games.

The problem is that Nebraska this year is making dumb mistakes, not scoring, and not getting turnovers.

I believe Frost called plays at Oregon the 3 years he was offense coordinator there. 

Oregon finished in top 5 in scoring offense all 3 years that Frost was the offensive coordinator at Oregon. And prior to this year has had a top 5 offense 4 out of the last 5 years. The only year he didn't is he's first year at UCF. 

While Frost called plays at Oregon they finished as runner ups in the CFP. 

Not to mention that Oregon suffered immediately after Frost left. 

So, to boil down his success to just last year ignores the success he had before that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Waterloohusker26 said:

shoddy.

• Thanks 1

To some extent, I think any team in CFB that goes undefeated has caught lightning in a bottle. I don’t think admitting as much takes anything away from what he accomplished or the hard work it required and it sure doesn’t mean it was a fluke or that it can’t be replicated. But a lot of things have to fall in place, stars align etc.

• Plus1 2

38 true freshmen, 12 new transfers, complete culture change. Pilsbury doughboys everywhere. Nuff said. 

I think his play calling was hamstrung at troy. His game plan at colorado was very good. Great play calling imo. Michigan was in our backfield literally 100% of the time. I dont care what plays you run that will make anyone look bad.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Here's the thing about your potential theory, OP - Even if that were the case with Milton, Adrian Martinez looks to be all that Milton was and more. Martinez was a more highly recruited kid whose Junior year highlight reel is pretty insane.

Verduzco is in a position to do the very same thing with Martinez. You put Maurice Washington in the mix. You return Spielman, Williams, and Lindsey, and Greg Bell. Those are even better offensive weapons in my opinion at the skill positions than UCF had. 

Next year is the year.

It's as if this fan base has gone so long without a good quarterback that we've forgotten how much it means to success. 

I think the defense can be very solid.  Replace a few parts and they could be good.  The main problem I see is something I was told as a player and something I told players as a coach.  If you aren't sure what to do or a play breaks down then its time to become a football player.  Too many times have I seen guys in the first 3 games just stand there like a deer in headlights after the play has started and then still look lost after they get moving.  It's not rocket science.  Just go to the ball.  I like Mick but he's pretty useless in the middle.  I know his job is probably just to eat double teams but he comes off the ball super slow and does nothing to disrupt the middle of the line.  Lamar Jackson needs to ride pine or find another position.  Maybe he can return punts.  Young needs to step up and has been inconsistent.  I think the offense needs to attack down field more often.  Although it doesn't help we dont truly have a deep threat.  Or run deep drags with someone other than alligator arms Lindsey.  O line should just cut every play....o wait they suck at that too.    

5 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I believe Frost called plays at Oregon the 3 years he was offense coordinator there. 

Oregon finished in top 5 in scoring offense all 3 years that Frost was the offensive coordinator at Oregon. And prior to this year has had a top 5 offense 4 out of the last 5 years. The only year he didn't is he's first year at UCF. 

While Frost called plays at Oregon they finished as runner ups in the CFP. 

Not to mention that Oregon suffered immediately after Frost left. 

So, to boil down his success to just last year ignores the success he had before that. 

That's because they ran out of Chip's recruits including Mariotta.