Husker Chalk Talk: Concept Wednesday - The Speed Option

Cdog923

35 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Wow! Good thing that was not inside zone. Foster got blown up.

Another week, another way I don't understand why they are blocking they way they are. Allen should block Bush, Jaimes should reach his DE, Foster should handle his DT and Conrad should reach the OLB in front of him. Instead, Jaimes tries to get the boundary OLB, as does Conrad, leaving Bush unblocked to make the tackle. 

EDIT: All 22 look: this probably should have been audibled out of. That's a hard block for Jaimes and Allen to fold/combo, as Michigan has a 4 on 3 advantage playside that the Option doesn't account for. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 1.34.32 PM.png

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Another week, another way I don't understand why they are blocking they way they are. Allen should block Bush, Jaimes should block his head up DE, Foster should handle his head up DT and Conrad should reach the OLB in front of him. Instead, Jaimes tries to get the boundary OLB, as does Conrad, leaving Bush unblocked to make the tackle. 

Good catch.

However, from what I've seen from our TE blocking this year, #10 would still have gone unblocked.

11 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Another week, another way I don't understand why they are blocking they way they are. Allen should block Bush, Jaimes should reach his DE, Foster should handle his DT and Conrad should reach the OLB in front of him. Instead, Jaimes tries to get the boundary OLB, as does Conrad, leaving Bush unblocked to make the tackle. 

EDIT: All 22 look: this probably should have been audibled out of. That's a hard block for Jaimes and Allen to fold/combo, as Michigan has a 4 on 3 advantage playside that the Option doesn't account for. 

Which is why I think we need a change at the center position. Our blocking schemes have been all jacked up. There are too many similarities to last year not to believe it's player dependent.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Which is why I think we need a change at the center position. Our blocking schemes have been all jacked up. There are too many similarities to last year not to believe it's player dependent.

While I agree with you, I don't necessarily think this is on Conrad. Bunch (if he has the freedom), needs to recognize that we're outmanned playside and audible into something else. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I agree. They asked Farmer who was responsible for making the line calls after he mentioned them being wrong a lot, and while he did try to deflect the blame it comes down to the Center. Said everyone needed to do a better job calling things like overloads out, but it is the Centers job to make the call. We don't know how many things were called out and not changed versus completely missed by all lineman, but the change to Decker last year was pretty noticeable and that makes me suspect the former.

Maybe they're fantastic in practice, but they can't/won't get it right in the games. Guess we'll find out how many mistakes it takes to actually get benched, but the coaches are also limited by a lack of depth. Farmer and Miller have even less experience than Conrad making line calls, although you'd hope Farmer would know from playing Guard. Regardless of how this one should have been blocked, a 1 on 1 between our RB and their ILB trying to cover a lot of ground is what you want from this. It worked as designed, they just had the better player.

53 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Probably could have used some help from the center who is blocking air. Not a horrible thing to let a DT wear himself out by running to the sideline pursuing a play he should never catch.

He could work the forearm and help clamp off the DT, but he is climbing to the next level to block the LB.  The reason he is blocking air is bc the LB has identified speed O and abandoned his IZ gap responsibility.  

• Plus1 1

Love these HCT’s.

When I take the time to really study what our OL is doing by watching a play over and over and each individual, it kind of makes me nauseous. Those guys are totally whiffing, getting manhandled or running out to block air more often than not. And it doesn’t get any better when you start watching our tight ends and perimeter blocking. Our blocking and assignments have been absolutely atrocious. Add in the expected young QB misreads and you can see why our offense has struggled.

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Could they have audibled out and ran it to the other side? Probably need more sped that way tho 

38 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Love these HCT’s.

When I take the time to really study what our OL is doing by watching a play over and over and each individual, it kind of makes me nauseous. Those guys are totally whiffing, getting manhandled or running out to block air more often than not. And it doesn’t get any better when you start watching our tight ends and perimeter blocking. Our blocking and assignments have been absolutely atrocious. Add in the expected young QB misreads and you can see why our offense has struggled.

I miss seeing good blocking too.   I found some in the MRI article. 

giphy.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Plus1 1