QB Transfers

Warrior

58 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

He no doubt would be the best QB at Nebraska.

He would be the best QB for a lot of teams. As I mentioned to you on Twitter you guys have two great QB's as does Bama.

While he would make Nebraska better, I think Frost and Co are looking at the long game. Bring in young guys and let them grow in the system. If 3-5 years down the road we dont have a QB we can trust but everything else looks good then for sure you take a guy like Bryant to get you over the hump.

2 hours ago, Warrior said:

With our lack of Depth at this position do you think a Kelly Bryant or Jalen Hurts might look into a move to the Mid-West?

I'll bet both of these guys transfer in. Think of how much it will benefit their careers to sit on the bench and watch Adrian Martinez work his magic.  They can see the magical dollar signs floating about their eyeballs with all that learnin' they're about to do.

They've likely both already been in contact with our staff and are actively searching their Rand McNally travel maps for Lincoln, NE.

Only question is, which one do you put in first after mop-up duty?

• Haha 2

QBs, expecially the 4-5 star type want to lead a team, want play. Most guys at any position this level do. 

But the negative is that they start going to QB coaches and camps at age 8-9 yrs old. If they truly have talent and evolve and grow into that position, they  feel so  entitled to play and own that spot. They are told they “have what it takes” that “they are being recruited” (by other little league teams!!) and that “it matters moving into freshman year if they know they are the man”. It’s ridiculous. 

I could tell a little story but I won’t. I’ll just say I’ve seen it first hand coaching my son’s football team for 5 yrs from 3rd-8th grade (in the district where Mcaffrey and Linn play) that by the time these kids, ESPECIALLY quarterbacks, reach 7-8th grade...if they aren’t playing and given treatment to start and play....they leave teams and their freakin dads are scouring teams that let them play QB. At 10 yrs old!!!

Look at the freshman from Bama and his elder and what their dads were saying. Look at UCLA’s QB and his dad. Gebbia, Crouch, and dozens and dozens of others. It’s disgusting and when you take into account how many kids actually earn a scholarship, start for a team 2-3 yrs, and go pro it’s even more gross; considering it’s a shot at the pros they’re doing this for. The chance to make pro QB is nil. Just go to school and play football. 

It’s why I can’t stand pro football anymore, I know the wrangling these guys took to get there and it’s gross. Leave transfers alone, especially at QB. They’re a headache. 

Also, besides definitely wanting to go where they will be the unquestionable starter, wouldn’t these types of players also look at the viability of the offense and the level of protection they are likely to be afforded from the O line. I think that pretty much takes Nebraska out of the running for a Hurts or Bryant type player, in the short term anyway. I mean sure, it didn’t stop a Tanner Lee from coming here but that shouldn’t require much explanation as to how or why that happened. And no I’m not considering those guys in the same universe as each other. That’s the point.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's basically impossible in CFB now-a-days.  

Clemson has recruited about as well as anyone.  They now have two scholarship QBs on the roster - a five-star true freshman and a three-star redshirt freshman.

I think the biggest thing that gets QB depth to a more stable place is when you happen (just by chance I guess you'd say) to recruit two good guys exactly two years apart. In that scenario, the second guy knows he's most likely going to be the man in two years and get to start two full years.

We're setting ourselves up well with that scenario with McCaffrey if he redshirts.

But our problem next year would essentially be the same situation that we have now if Martinez gets hurt next season. But, redshirting McCaffrey gets the ball rolling for the Frost era (assuming that McCaffrey's a guy that pans out, etc., etc.).

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Give it a year; Vedral will be eligible and McCaffery will be here next year. That's 3 scholarship QBs, plus at least 1 WO with starting experience. I still think they should get at least one more QB in this year's class, but depth will be much better next year. 

What keeps McCaffrey here to possibly only start his senior year?  Not rhetorical, but 4 stars usually expect to start more years than not in their 4 year stints?  I like having a Jr. and a Freshman so the Frosh is looking at possibly starting for two years....and I'll take all the quality we can get right now.  Just curious.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think the biggest thing that gets QB depth to a more stable place is when you happen (just by chance I guess you'd say) to recruit two good guys exactly two years apart. In that scenario, the second guy knows he's most likely going to be the man in two years and get to start two full years.

We're setting ourselves up well with that scenario with McCaffrey if he redshirts.

But our problem next year would essentially be the same situation that we have now if Martinez gets hurt next season. But, redshirting McCaffrey gets the ball rolling for the Frost era (assuming that McCaffrey's a guy that pans out, etc., etc.).

Yeah, I think that's basically what has to happen.  I think McCaffrey being a great athlete but having some development to do as a QB also helps.

I think they really need to be a full two years apart - Martinez and McCaffrey are only one class apart.  If Smothers ends up being a good one, he could (potentially) redshirt his first year and then Martinez would be a senior after that.  That's kind of what you have to do. 

Unless you can find someone who's pretty decent but just really wants to be here.  I think Vedral will fit that the next three years.

7 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

What keeps McCaffrey here to possibly only start his senior year?  Not rhetorical, but 4 stars usually expect to start more years than not in their 4 year stints?  I like having a Jr. and a Freshman so the Frosh is looking at possibly starting for two years....and I'll take all the quality we can get right now.  Just curious.

He's a project, and he'll redshirt next year, barring the necessity of him starting. So, at minimum, there will be 2 years between him and Martinez. If he does stick at QB and stays ahead of Smothers (and any other QBs brought in), he'll have 2 years to start. 

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think they really need to be a full two years apart - Martinez and McCaffrey are only one class apart.  If Smothers ends up being a good one, he could (potentially) redshirt his first year and then Martinez would be a senior after that.  That's kind of what you have to do.

Yep. And I really like the new 'four games and still redshirt' rule. 

Again, let's say that McCaffrey comes in and by week 1 is further along than Bunch. Probably a huge stretch, but just for the sake of argument. If Martinez gets an injury like he did this year where he's out for four games or less you can actually play McCaffrey.

Pretty helpful rule change.

14 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I think even the average 18 year old kid understands that Martinez is the four year starter at this point no matter what. McCaffrey will know that it's actually in his best interest to redshirt. In which case he's not starting his senior year but rather his redshirt junior year and therefore could easily be a two year starter.

The problem nowadays (as stupid as it is) is when you have two good guys in the same class.

9 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

He would be the best QB for a lot of teams. As I mentioned to you on Twitter you guys have two great QB's as does Bama.

While he would make Nebraska better, I think Frost and Co are looking at the long game. Bring in young guys and let them grow in the system. If 3-5 years down the road we dont have a QB we can trust but everything else looks good then for sure you take a guy like Bryant to get you over the hump.

Yep. He could come in and provide some experience & knowledge, as a player who’s played in the CFP.

FWIW, I think he ends up in the SEC. I’m guessing Auburn or Arkansas. Chad Morris was at Clemson before SMU.